Birmingham clean air zone fines
Over 44000 issued in the first month including 82 to the council's own vehicles. £120 a pop. Unbelievable.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars...fines.html
Its £50/day for a HGV, which is making it a pain in the arse to arrange deliveries.
Most vehicles providing they're not ages old seem to be exempt.
(07-31-2021, 08:26 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Most vehicles providing they're not ages old seem to be exempt.

Which means that the tax disproportionately affects poorer people. Personally I'm up for radical action on climate change but leaving BCC to work out how to do it was always going to be a disaster

(07-31-2021, 08:21 AM)sickParrot Wrote: Its £50/day for a HGV, which is making it a pain in the arse to arrange deliveries.

Is it similarly aged (to cars) HGVs that are charged or, because they chuck out more toxins, do newer vehicles have to pay £50 too?

I'd imagine most HGVs are newer by nature of the mileage they do
(07-31-2021, 08:55 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 08:26 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Most vehicles providing they're not ages old seem to be exempt.

Which means that the tax disproportionately affects poorer people. Personally I'm up for radical action on climate change but leaving BCC to work out how to do it was always going to be a disaster

They didn't have a choice, if they didn't introduce it they would have been fined to shit by Westminster as air pollutant levels in the city are ridiculously high and they haven't got any alternative plans to cut traffic within the city centre in the short term. The main problem is that it's been introduced 10 years before cycling infrastructure and public transport within the ring road is up to scratch.
(07-31-2021, 09:04 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

They didn't have a choice, if they didn't introduce it they would have been fined to shit by Westminster as air pollutant levels in the city are ridiculously high and they haven't got any alternative plans to cut traffic within the city centre in the short term. The main problem is that it's been introduced 10 years before cycling infrastructure and public transport within the ring road is up to scratch.

Hit a couple of nails on the head there BB
It's not all about the city centre though.
Vehicles such as my van used to pass virtually harmlessly through the town in tunnels. Now we're all queuing up going through traffic lights and roundabouts on the ring road which is much closer to where people actually live. Two of my offspring have had to get rid of perfectly serviced and maintained (but older) vehicles to conform. I understand 90% of vehicle pollution comes from making and breaking them. The nature of their work, and mine but in a different way, means public transport simply isn't an option. Not a fan of it.

Cheers. I get that they didn't have a choice in 'what' but the 'how' is their own doing, including announcing delays to the fines on the day it started and generally in poor Comms all round

(07-31-2021, 09:58 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: It's not all about the city centre though.
Vehicles such as my van used to pass virtually harmlessly through the town in tunnels. Now we're all queuing up going through traffic lights and roundabouts on the ring road which is much closer to where people actually live. Two of my offspring have had to get rid of perfectly serviced and maintained (but older) vehicles to conform. I understand 90% of vehicle pollution comes from making and breaking them. The nature of their work, and mine but in a different way, means public transport simply isn't an option. Not a fan of it.

Again, when you think of the route the ring road takes it (the pollution) disproportionately affects the poor- in fact it's made it worse.
(07-31-2021, 10:29 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote:

Cheers. I get that they didn't have a choice in 'what' but the 'how' is their own doing, including announcing delays to the fines on the day it started and generally in poor Comms all round

The issue is that they need to get NOx, PM2.5 and PM10 levels down asap, which means they've introduced this without being prepared for it. Birmingham simply doesn't have the infrastructure to allow for alternative routes like London does thanks to decades of underinvestment into the city (not to mention the three decades immediately postwar where money was actively being funnelled out of the city and into the City) so the council and CA basically have to make it up as they go along.
(07-31-2021, 10:59 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 10:29 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote:

The issue is that they need to get NOx, PM2.5 and PM10 levels down asap, which means they've introduced this without being prepared for it. Birmingham simply doesn't have the infrastructure to allow for alternative routes like London does thanks to decades of underinvestment into the city (not to mention the three decades immediately postwar where money was actively being funnelled out of the city and into the City) so the council and CA basically have to make it up as they go along.

Sounds about right