Gutted… but also a little proud
1.30 am and I’ve just got back… well that wasn’t quite what anyone hoped for.

In terms of the match it was probably our weakest performance of the entire tournament, not massively surprising given the stakes but we looked nervous from the off. Was an Albion-esque of scoring so early it takes yourself by surprise and then try to shut up shop for 86 minutes. When they inevitably equalised we were unable to step back up as an attacking unit. Ultimately we were a penalty shootout away from winning the whole thing.

We’ve had a great tournament though, under Southgate we’ve finished fourth and now second - compare that to the previous decade of group stage exits and first knockout round defeats. We are now indisputably a side that can challenge for major honours and hopefully next time will be our time. I’ve genuinely enjoyed being part of it all and following this side through the tournament, they’re the second youngest squad I hear and clearly there’s more to follow. The much maligned Sterling was one of the players of the tournament, Kane was only a goal short of another golden boot and Pickford, Stones, Shaw, Maguire, Rice and Phillips have all been fantastic.

Disappointed tonight but no reason to think we can’t challenge again next year. The future it bright, on to Qatar!

(Oh and I met Dwight Gayle and Barry Fry - not together - outside the ground, which was pretty cool)
Got back just after 12 last night as we left just after Saka's miss and with not much of a queue and a train waiting it made it pretty smooth coming out.

Just a couple of thoughts about the whole thing last night. Whilst not condoning the actions of idiots I did find it a little strange that the initial cordon wasn't made a little more secure in areas. Looking down at the ground level under Wembley Way it was quite easy for people to jump over the barrier so there were probably some other weak points too. Didn't see any issues around the part of the ground where we were apart from one biff getting his comeuppance after getting in illegally and there were people inside pointing out those who had barged in behind others.

On the footie side I think this is where the issue of the Rice/Phillips combo came home to roost. Not sure whether Southgate would have played him anyway but Foden was a big miss. You contrast the two sides in midfield and after our initial pressure it's fair to say Verratti and Jorginho bossed the middle, pulling our players all over. Rice and Phillips have put in great shifts throughout the tournament but they are workhorses with not the same level of creative skill as their Italian counterparts. When the subs came on I think both Henderson and Saka let Southgate down and didn't perform anywhere near their capabilities and was surprised Sancho didn't get the nod ahead of Saka. We were short up front which led Sterling to think he had to do it all himself and lost the ball in promising positions.

One question I would ask of those watching on TV with the benefit of reviewing some of the decisions is whether the ref got much wrong. May have been adrenaline-fuelled red and white glasses but I can't help feeling there were a lot of cynical or late challenges that could have got cards and didn't which may have had some bearing on the game later. Anyway, I'm disappointed and feel a little empty as I think after 49 years on this planet I may have seen the last opportunity for me to see one of my teams actually win something of note, especially live. The boy was in tears at the end but then that would have been no different to me in 86, 90 or even '98 or '04 later when these things mattered a lot more. 

Yes, I think the best team won the tournament in the end, but we had a real chance last night. We may well do in Qatar as well, with pretty much the same team, and some younger players with another season or so under their belts so not all hope is lost but after Germany we were given an enormous opportunity and don't think we quite played the right cards to see us through to the end.
I don't think any of the players let Southgate down, I think Southgate's inability to change things and tactics cost us as it did in 2018....I'm still scratching my head on how Trippier our smallest defender was picking up their tallest player (who won the header) on the corner that led to their goal.
(07-12-2021, 06:58 AM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote: I don't think any of the players let Southgate down, I think Southgate's inability to change things and tactics cost us as it did in 2018....I'm still scratching my head on how Trippier our smallest defender was picking up their tallest player (who won the header) on the corner that led to their goal.

I don't think the subs had the impact he thought they might may be a kinder way of putting it. Felt a little sorry for Kane who was effectively a midfielder for large parts of the game and, to be fair to him, he needed to be. Thought some of his hold-up play was fantastic. Southgate has obviously got more right than wrong during the tournament but when changes do happen they are generally done too late and it was clear their constant possession needed to be stopped. One thing Italy did a lot better than us was the speed which they moved the ball around the midfield. Got close to unlocking us a few times whereas we go wide, then we're shepherded to the corners or it comes back again, as opposed to a quick ball inside.
(07-12-2021, 06:58 AM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote: I don't think any of the players let Southgate down, I think Southgate's inability to change things and tactics cost us as it did in 2018....I'm still scratching my head on how Trippier our smallest defender was picking up their tallest player (who won the header) on the corner that led to their goal.

Yep. Mancini much more proactive in his use of subs. Unfortunately our risk averse manager wasn't.