9pm watershed for tv commercials
I'm the least stereotypical fat person ever. I'll go days without eating more than a few hundred calories, I like small meals, hate fatty foods.

Damn fucking steroids made me fat.
(06-24-2021, 02:43 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:41 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: I've mentioned it before, batch cooking. I've not got enough time in a weekday to cook a ragu but I do have enough to take a few frozen ragu ice cubes out the freezer, microwave them and mix them through with some cooked pasta and parmesan.

Just make extra when you've got time and freeze it.

A good idea.

I don't do this often enough, but then I enjoy cooking.

yep, i usually batch cook a couple of days worth of meals on a Sunday so my wife doesn't have to cook every single meal. The idea that convenience foods are a necessity due to working hours is an example of reducing a complex issue down to a simplistic cause. 
Sure it does take some knowledge and a little bit of planning but the time taken is usually no more than it takes to put something in the oven or wait for a take away to be delivered. 
As i said earlier, a lot of it is down to perception and attitude. 
With todays society we have a culture of blaming everything possible and not taking responsibility for ourselves, hence we hear stuff like claiming its cheaper to eat processed crap etc.
(06-24-2021, 03:00 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:43 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:41 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: I've mentioned it before, batch cooking. I've not got enough time in a weekday to cook a ragu but I do have enough to take a few frozen ragu ice cubes out the freezer, microwave them and mix them through with some cooked pasta and parmesan.

A good idea.

yep, i usually batch cook a couple of days worth of meals on a Sunday so my wife doesn't have to cook every single meal. The idea that convenience foods are a necessity due to working hours is an example of reducing a complex issue down to a simplistic cause. 
Sure it does take some knowledge and a little bit of planning but the time taken is usually no more than it takes to put something in the oven or wait for a take away to be delivered. 
With todays society we have a culture of blaming everything possible and not taking responsibility for ourselves, hence we hear stuff like claiming its cheaper to eat processed crap etc.

Yep.

It isn't cheaper. One reason wife and I cook from scratch is from when we had no money, a d it was so much cheaper to make things. OK we've never had to pay for meat, but then wife is vegan. I eat a lot of chicken amd do get it free, but even if I added the chicken price in. Still cheaper than buying ready made stuff every night.
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Sotv Wrote:
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Borin' Baggie Wrote:I've mentioned it before, batch cooking. I've not got enough time in a weekday to cook a ragu but I do have enough to take a few frozen ragu ice cubes out the freezer, microwave them and mix them through with some cooked pasta and parmesan.

A good idea.

Yep.

It isn't cheaper. One reason wife and I cook from scratch is from when we had no money, a d it was so much cheaper to make things. OK we've never had to pay for meat, but then wife is vegan. I eat a lot of chicken amd do get it free, but even if I added the chicken price in. Still cheaper than buying ready made stuff every night.

This. I despair when families on the breadline are featured buying ready meals and other stuff "'cos it's cheaper". No it isn't. Spuds, carrots and onions are bobbins and with some spice, dried beans, lentils and a little imagination you can eat healthily without cluttering the planet up with plastic. I agree hugely with whoever said that schools should teach this.