Players who should have retired instead of signing for the Baggies
Branislav Ivanovic contributed nothing this season, as predicted by many. But we've been here before. Opinions vary about some of the players below, but here's my onions:

Graham Roberts - this fellow gets kudos from some because he kicked Steve Bull's ass, but his record of P39, W9, L18, D12 is pretty poor. Scored 6 goals, but 4 were pens. Desperate signing by Talbot, just in time to partake in our spectacular fall from grace.

Andy Townsend - he managed to play 18 times, but has admitted freely that his knees had already gone before he signed the contract.

Mike Phelan - who could have imagined that a player of some quality who had spent half of his 5 seasons at Man Utd on the bench would struggle with the rigours of life in a lower league? Just 21 appearances.

Geoff Hurst - weird one this. Two goals in 10 appearances at the start of the season, then disappeared. I can't even remember why he left.

Joleon Lescott - now we're getting into contentious territory. He didn't add the authority our back line needed, as evidenced by Pulis' eventual decision to play him at full back, with GMac and Jonas restored to the centre. On the plus side, we stole money off the Villa for him and he relegated them.

Gareth Barry - another one who gets some plaudits on this 'ere bored. In my opinion a clear sign that Pulis had given up. Lazy signing. He would always struggle to match the influence of Darren Fletcher, but overall his impact was far less than expected, somewhere between negligible and negative.

I'm sure there are other examples, as well as signings like Fletcher who worked out well. But I'll never get excited when I hear news stories starting with "2 times Premier League Champion and FA Cup winner xxxxxx has signed a 2 year contract with West Bromwich Albion".
Samaras.

Mears.
Lescott started well for us, didn't we have 6 clean sheets or something but it was clear by the end of the season that his legs were going.

Barry was crap.
Scott Carson couldn’t catch a cold.
Giles Barnes couldn’t pass wind.
Rosenberg couldn’t shoot straight.
(05-26-2021, 01:29 PM)Morley Wrote: Lescott started well for us, didn't we have 6 clean sheets or something but it was clear by the end of the season that his legs were going. 

Barry was crap.

Yeah Lescott had enough decent games to justify a season.

It was after he went to Villa things really went south for him.
Lescott!?!? Wasn't he close to getting player of the season!?
Roberto Rios did retire rather than play for us. Big Grin
(05-26-2021, 01:31 PM)wba13 Wrote: Scott Carson couldn’t catch a cold.
Giles Barnes couldn’t pass wind.
Rosenberg couldn’t shoot straight.

Think you're missing the thread- it has to be players at the end of their careers. Think one last pay day- eg Anelka!
Carson was 25 when he left us and has enjoyed a solid if unspectacular career since. Rosenberg was juts a misfit, but has done well wherever he went at decent European clubs.
Victor Anichebe. Oh, sorry. He retired straight after signing for us.

Wes Hoolahan.
Hartson,

Always remember a 4 1 away defeat at Stoke, Phelan clattered a Stoke player and all the Baggies fans chanted off off off.