leicester
(05-16-2021, 09:07 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:55 PM)wba13 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:17 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:03 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Interesting thread and I think a lot depends on your age.
Those over 50 see us as a different club to those under.
One thing to me that stands out though is in the 20 seasons since we returned from the wilderness we’ve never pushed on to make ourselves a bigger club and that’s the fault of Jeremy Peace.
In the pre 90s dark ages we had a stadium and support base befitting a top tier club.
The ambition shown by clubs like Leicester, Derby, Brighton, Southampton etc means clubs lower than us historically have stolen a march on us.
Peace’s comments seem to define us as a club with a ceiling of ambition.
I never got the landlocked thing as we’re in a huge conurbation.
I just feel the Albion of the 21st century just haven’t managed to find the status it once had.

Derby?

That’s misspelled it’s Direby. If the correct people apply the rules properly and deduct them points Wycombe will stay up and Direby will go down. If that’s showing ambition I for one don’t want it. For all those Saints, Derby and Brighton there are Bolton,Blackburn, Forest,Blues, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke. Sunderland Middlesbrough Blackpool, Charlton and Ipswich. I would like us to be more ambitious but until we get owners who care it won’t happen and we will stay a yo yo club. 
I for do care what happened 50 years ago as I was around to see the Sixties and seventy’s sides.

Derby had a good spell in the 90s. I meant that the likes of Leicester and Derby and Southampton got smarter stadia and attracted bigger gates.

We’ve actually had some decent spells past 20 years but we’ve always played it conservatively which is why we haven’t had the highs and lows of say Bolton. 

Fact is that Leicester are a footballing anomaly and there’s about 20-30 clubs looking on enviously.

Correct. They flew very close to the wind with their owners’ spending... 

Had they sold Vardy to us that January when they were rock bottom and Pulis was fishing who knows what could have happened...
(05-16-2021, 09:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 09:07 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:55 PM)wba13 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:17 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:03 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Interesting thread and I think a lot depends on your age.
Those over 50 see us as a different club to those under.
One thing to me that stands out though is in the 20 seasons since we returned from the wilderness we’ve never pushed on to make ourselves a bigger club and that’s the fault of Jeremy Peace.
In the pre 90s dark ages we had a stadium and support base befitting a top tier club.
The ambition shown by clubs like Leicester, Derby, Brighton, Southampton etc means clubs lower than us historically have stolen a march on us.
Peace’s comments seem to define us as a club with a ceiling of ambition.
I never got the landlocked thing as we’re in a huge conurbation.
I just feel the Albion of the 21st century just haven’t managed to find the status it once had.

Derby?

That’s misspelled it’s Direby. If the correct people apply the rules properly and deduct them points Wycombe will stay up and Direby will go down. If that’s showing ambition I for one don’t want it. For all those Saints, Derby and Brighton there are Bolton,Blackburn, Forest,Blues, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke. Sunderland Middlesbrough Blackpool, Charlton and Ipswich. I would like us to be more ambitious but until we get owners who care it won’t happen and we will stay a yo yo club. 
I for do care what happened 50 years ago as I was around to see the Sixties and seventy’s sides.

Derby had a good spell in the 90s. I meant that the likes of Leicester and Derby and Southampton got smarter stadia and attracted bigger gates.

We’ve actually had some decent spells past 20 years but we’ve always played it conservatively which is why we haven’t had the highs and lows of say Bolton. 

Fact is that Leicester are a footballing anomaly and there’s about 20-30 clubs looking on enviously.

Correct. They flew very close to the wind with their owners’ spending... 

Had they sold Vardy to us that January when they were rock bottom and Pulis was fishing who knows what could have happened...

Leicester have essentially won the footballing lottery and are not really a replicable model. We'll see if it lasts though. It's one family's money after all.

Closer to home, our two neighbours have spent hundreds of millions to be mid-table PL sides and fairly mediocre ones at that. It doesn't sit well with me. I like being a self-sustaining club and if it means yo-yoing so be it.