The yoof QF tonight. Free stream
Out of interest, I had a look at the 76 team of very fond memory.
Of those, 2 went on to make it big time- Lynex and the fabulous Derek Statham.
Monaghan and Mark Grew had decent lower league careers. The rest, to my knowledge at least disappeared.
That proportion seems roughly right looking at other Youth Cup finalists (not a scientific enquiry!).
Man City's winners of 2016 had Foden and Sancho for instance, but no other (as yet) household names.
One other thing is that I was convinced that Big Jim Holton was in that team but evidently not.
I guess he was an early example of being poached by bigger clubs- Man U.
Holton was in the 69 final against Sunderland. I went to the home game which we won 3-0 but we then lost the away match 6-0!
Also in that team were Hartford, Cantello, Robertson, Lyndon Hughes and Nisbet (gk).
In fairness to Derek Monaghan he had a horrendous run of injuries.
(04-29-2021, 10:02 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Out of interest, I had a look at the 76 team of very fond memory.
Of those, 2 went on to make it big time- Lynex and the fabulous Derek Statham.
Monaghan and Mark Grew had decent lower league careers. The rest, to my knowledge at least disappeared.
That proportion seems roughly right looking at other Youth Cup finalists (not a scientific enquiry!).
Man City's winners of 2016 had Foden and Sancho for instance, but no other (as yet) household names.
One other thing is that I was convinced that Big Jim Holton was in that team but evidently not.
I guess he was an early example of being poached by bigger clubs- Man U.
Kevin Summerfield had a decent career too, albeit not at the highest level. Here's an interesting article from the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/march/al...in-profile

Ultimately if we can get to the point where every year we get one or two youth players breaking into the first team squad, that's a success.

In recent years there's only really been Saido, Ferguson and O'Shea who've really cemented regular places in the first team. The likes of Edwards, Harper, Leko & Field have had bit parts. Nothing quite like a youngster working their way into the first team and becoming a star. That's one of the reasons why the Vile fans love Greasy.
(04-28-2021, 02:54 PM)richbaggie Wrote: Big Sam and Little Sam there last night.

Read into that what you may in terms of their futures.

Next season's first team init.
I feel Dara O'Shea is an overlooked success story in terms of our youth academy. He has done magnificently. If he was a forward scoring goals and doing steps overs he would be much more celebrated.

Next year we could conceivably see a team including; Dara, Palmer, Harper at its heart with a number of younger players out on loan ready to prove themselves.
(04-28-2021, 02:54 PM)richbaggie Wrote: Big Sam and Little Sam there last night.

Read into that what you may in terms of their futures.

U18 Manager and assistant next season after being sacked from the 1st team maybeez,
I told you I’ll be back
Did anyone see the scenes on the car park after the game? Lovely, if not a bit bizarre.
(04-29-2021, 06:43 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Did anyone see the scenes on the car park after the game? Lovely, if not a bit bizarre.

Linkage?
(04-29-2021, 06:46 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 06:43 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Did anyone see the scenes on the car park after the game? Lovely, if not a bit bizarre.

Linkage?

Reminiscent of end of last season.

Scenes