Kipre
(04-27-2021, 09:55 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: RB - Furlong + 1
LB - Townsend +
CB - Ajayi, Bartley, Kipre & O'Shea

I don't know if we have any kids coming through but that would seem like top end Championship defensive options to me. 

What we don't know is how Allardyce feels about them.  On the assumption that he knew he couldn't change that much in January he's had to run with what we've got.  Common thought on here was that our full backs were all shit and we needed 1 for each side (it was also said Bilic felt the same way).  I have to admit to agreeing with that thought process but both full backs have looked better since Allardyce and hopefully will continue to do so next season when the style of opposition will change and the onus of controlling games will switch to us.  Furlong was only ever a par Championship player last season.

How I see it too. 

We’ll need to strengthen our defence should we win promotion but we have enough in the squad to be fine next season as it is - we just need a couple fullbacks. 

What money we do have for next season has to be spent attracting 2 quality central midfielders. Midfielders we have faith could step up.
If Allardyce is still here then I'd expect a new CH along with a LB & RB. He builds everything around a solid defence and, despite a recent upturn, we still don't have that.
I would also expect Johnstone to be replaced when he goes. Personally I would love to see Palmer given a go but Allardyce will go for experience IMO.
Just hope none of this means we stick with Livermore. That should be the absolute first position addressed, preferably with Yokuslu, if not, then someone very similar.
(04-27-2021, 10:01 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 09:55 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: RB - Furlong + 1
LB - Townsend +
CB - Ajayi, Bartley, Kipre & O'Shea

I don't know if we have any kids coming through but that would seem like top end Championship defensive options to me. 

What we don't know is how Allardyce feels about them.  On the assumption that he knew he couldn't change that much in January he's had to run with what we've got.  Common thought on here was that our full backs were all shit and we needed 1 for each side (it was also said Bilic felt the same way).  I have to admit to agreeing with that thought process but both full backs have looked better since Allardyce and hopefully will continue to do so next season when the style of opposition will change and the onus of controlling games will switch to us.  Furlong was only ever a par Championship player last season.

How I see it too. 

We’ll need to strengthen our defence should we win promotion but we have enough in the squad to be fine next season as it is - we just need a couple fullbacks. 

What money we do have for next season has to be spent attracting 2 quality central midfielders. Midfielders we have faith could step up.
Serious question, given that it goes against received"wisdom" on here... but don't people think that Sawyers will be in our midfield next season? He was excellent in the championship last year.
Alongside a yokuslu type there's no reason to suppose he won't be next season.
(04-27-2021, 09:51 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: I haven't written Ajayi off so much as I never really got the fuss. Decent for what we payed but for a bloke his size he gets eased off the ball a lot and his positioning was as hit and miss last season as it has been this.

Couldn't understand how he used to misjudge jumps and lose the flight of high balls played through the middle last season either. There's a reason why we looked so disorganised when balls came in from wide areas last season too and it wasn't all down to Sam Johnstone.

We've had a decent return for the layout but I've honestly never thought he was that great. Age is on his side and he may have benefited from the experience gained this season but I'm not so sure. Welcome goals aside he just seems a bit fragile to me.

I watched highlights of some Rotherham games on a season review thing on Sky after we signed him. It always seemed to me that he was out of position a lot when they conceded but to be fair, I was never sure if he was playing as a defender or midfielder in the games shown as he did have spells in both positions.

I think he has certainly improved and his value has gone up considerably plus the fact that he's still improving now. The experience of the Premier League and playing International football for Nigeria will bring out some composure in him just because it's a different level and you can see that when he's on the ball sometimes as he's started to drive the team up the pitch.

As others have commented, he is very quick and he would be a fantastic player alongside someone like Harry Maguire who needs a quick bloke alongside him.