Livermore and Sawyers
(04-15-2021, 11:39 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 11:02 AM)Squid Wrote: Sawyers was rated one of the Championship players of the season last year by his fellow professionals. He may well not be a PL player (looked good against Liverpool though), but being played out of position won't help. He would be quite easy to move on though.

Livermore is yesterday's man and needs to be told firmly that he can either play with the under 23s or go elsewhere.

I agree Livermore’s time here should come to an end. It’s best for all parties, but he’s never done anything but give his all for this club when called upon. He was instrumental/played a vital role in getting us back to the PL, which has saved the club a whole host of bother money wise.

Talk of him being told to play with the u23’s is incredibly harsh.

It does seem harsh, but it would probably be the only way of moving him on as he'll be on a decent amount. Southampton did the same with Austin and he's gone on to carry on playing first-team football. We need to be using every penny of our money wisely, not spending it out of sentimentality when there are better players to spend it on. Yes, he did well for us last season and will have received a substantial cash bonus for that, so we don't owe him anything.
(04-15-2021, 11:47 AM)Squid Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 11:02 AM)Squid Wrote: Sawyers was rated one of the Championship players of the season last year by his fellow professionals. He may well not be a PL player (looked good against Liverpool though), but being played out of position won't help. He would be quite easy to move on though.

Livermore is yesterday's man and needs to be told firmly that he can either play with the under 23s or go elsewhere.

I agree Livermore’s time here should come to an end. It’s best for all parties, but he’s never done anything but give his all for this club when called upon. He was instrumental/played a vital role in getting us back to the PL, which has saved the club a whole host of bother money wise.

It does seem harsh, but it would probably be the only way of moving him on as he'll be on a decent amount. Southampton did the same with Austin and he's gone on to carry on playing first-team football. We need to be using every penny of our money wisely, not spending it out of sentimentality when there are better players to spend it on. Yes, he did well for us last season and will have received a substantial cash bonus for that, so we don't owe him anything.

Can’t see many clubs wanting to purchase him for a few nor afford his wages.
I told you I’ll be back
(04-15-2021, 11:59 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Correct, you can’t get rid of people like Livermore and Gibbs while under contract. Their wages are simply way higher than their standard, so we have to wait til their contract ends. No one will want to pay him the salary he’s on.
(04-15-2021, 11:06 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 10:37 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 09:59 AM)Hopalong Wrote: If we go down it's obvious where we will need to strengthen.

We will need to replace Diagne, Okay and AMN. We have the players to wipe the floor with the Champ and despite what some people have said Diang and Grant will be important players.

Phillips has found a new lease of life and we still have Snodders too though I do wonder if he's the new Andy Townsend!

However, at the moment every effort of concentration needs to be on beating Leicester.

I genuinely forgot Snodgrass existed.

Where’s he vanished to, not even on the bench lately!

https://www.footballfancast.com/west-bro...ip-rumours

Who'd have thought signing an ageing player who has barely featured for a year would end up with that player missing many games through injury!]

(04-15-2021, 12:13 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:

Correct, you can’t get rid of people like Livermore and Gibbs while under contract. Their wages are simply way higher than their standard, so we have to wait til their contract ends. No one will want to pay him the salary he’s on.

Correct, or find a club willing to take them on loan / purchase whilst we subsidise the wages like Saints did with us as part of the Austin deal.

I'm sure there will be clubs in the Championship who would be happy to have Livermore on say £10k a week with us picking up the other 10!
(04-15-2021, 03:24 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 11:06 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 10:37 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 09:59 AM)Hopalong Wrote: If we go down it's obvious where we will need to strengthen.

We will need to replace Diagne, Okay and AMN. We have the players to wipe the floor with the Champ and despite what some people have said Diang and Grant will be important players.

Phillips has found a new lease of life and we still have Snodders too though I do wonder if he's the new Andy Townsend!

However, at the moment every effort of concentration needs to be on beating Leicester.

I genuinely forgot Snodgrass existed.

Where’s he vanished to, not even on the bench lately!

https://www.footballfancast.com/west-bro...ip-rumours

Who'd have thought signing an ageing player who has barely featured for a year would end up with that player missing many games through injury!]

(04-15-2021, 12:13 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 11:39 AM)Dumbo Wrote: I agree Livermore’s time here should come to an end. It’s best for all parties, but he’s never done anything but give his all for this club when called upon. He was instrumental/played a vital role in getting us back to the PL, which has saved the club a whole host of bother money wise.

Correct, or find a club willing to take them on loan / purchase whilst we subsidise the wages like Saints did with us as part of the Austin deal.

I'm sure there will be clubs in the Championship who would be happy to have Livermore on say £10k a week with us picking up the other 10!

Not sure there’ll be many, champ clubs are gonna be in serious trouble financially next season, especially if there’s no crowds.
Peachy Wrote:If Sam stays I wouldn't be surprised to see either leave tbh. I think Sam will wheel and deal a fair bit. You never know one of the promoted teams might want a bit of experience and might take Jake. Watford?

I think you might see more swap deals this summer too.

Peachy in attempt to start "Livermore to Watford" catchphrase.  Smile
Was never a Livermore fan personally. I remember watching him n Sawyers in the Champship and wondering how on earth a manager could watch those two thinking theyd be ok in the Prem. They were constantly left for dead in the Championship.
Id get rid of both.
(04-15-2021, 07:38 PM)baggie_ray Wrote:
Peachy Wrote:If Sam stays I wouldn't be surprised to see either leave tbh. I think Sam will wheel and deal a fair bit. You never know one of the promoted teams might want a bit of experience and might take Jake. Watford?

I think you might see more swap deals this summer too.

Peachy in attempt to start "Livermore to Watford" catchphrase.  Smile

Livermore's reputation seems higher with people who don't watch him every week, with pundits and commentators regularly waxing lyrical about his "strengths", so I'm not giving up hope that someone will take him.
Sawyers will still be an asset next year as long as this season hasn't affected him mentally. Hopefully it's glaringly obvious now to Dowling & whoever else that we need a competent DM. IMO Yokuslu has almost single-handedly transformed us into a side that can compete at this level.

I'd be offering Livermore out on a free transfer in the hope that someone will pick him up. Can't fault his commitment but he just doesn't offer enough anymore. He's too expensive to be a backup in the championship and I don't get the impression he will be happy to sit around picking up a wage not playing.