He's just a long ball merchant
(04-03-2021, 08:40 PM)MozzasRocket Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 07:56 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 12:58 PM)Jezstatham Wrote: Playing like the harlem globetrotters today

Big Sam is quality.

We're very, very lucky to have him.

Don't even begin to compare him with junk like Appleton. How are Lincoln doing these days?

Keep him and move forward.

Spot on 100%

Hi Sam
(04-03-2021, 07:35 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 05:08 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:37 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:28 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:18 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: A master class in offering zero credit whilst at the same time crediting absolute blame...

Not at all. I accept Allardyce has made us fitter, and in the last few games we have been more organised, unfortunately he was brought in to win games and outside of today, we’ve just not done that enough.

Prior to today we had scored once in 5 games and failed to beat Fulham and Newcastle at home, even take a point from Sheff United despite leading in 2 of those games and in our only win in the last 10 games the opposition missed 2 penalties. 

I have praised Allardyce for getting us fitter, and for getting more discipline into the side, and I’ve said on a different thread if Roy had done what Sam did today he’d be eulogised for months, however I’ve seen very little from Sam so far to join in the Allardyce circle jerk.

(04-03-2021, 02:17 PM)keef Wrote: and who brought those players in Confused

Do you think Sam spent his time off watching the Turkish league and same in with those two players on his hit list? Not a chance.

Thinking a particular manager is the best option to see us promoted / long shot stay up is simply that. It’s not ott given the alternatives mentioned on here or myopic as Peachy proclaimed. It’s a sensible option depending upon whether both the club and manager can agree it’s right for both parties.

Problem is Derek is that there’s still very little evidence that Sam is the right man to take us forward... his PPG is still poor, and bar the odd flash in the pan the results haven’t warranted an extension.  Sadly. not being Bilic isn’t really a qualification for a job.

(04-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:28 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Do you think Sam spent his time off watching the Turkish league and same in with those two players on his hit list? Not a chance.

Do you think that he had nothing to do with identifying that we needed a solid defensive midfielder and a more physical, actual centre forward unit up top? Bilic clearly didn't think either were needed, that's why he blew the last 15m in his budget on a 22 year old wide player that he seemed to think was a lone striker, even though he'd struggled to play that role at Championship level, and his 58 year old mate that played right back for Chelsea in the late 1970s.

Sam deserves no credit for identifying what we needed either right, nor integrating them into the team?

(04-03-2021, 02:29 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I'm not impressed with Sam generally, excellent today, and if he does the impossible he stays next season deservedly.

It won't happen, but if it did can you imagine the mental gymnastics that would have to happen on here to try and strip him of any credit then  Big Grin

So we should be praising Sam because he came in and said “we need a striker and a central midfielder” - fuck me, I’ve missed my calling in life Big Grin

Again, we shouldn’t be using the fact he’s spent money better than Bilic did as a yardstick!

Yes!!!  It seems to have baffled and blindsided a number of managers even though WE could all see it. I have no love for the fat fella but my biggest fear is that if he leaves we will be back to the double fucking pivot of JL and RS.  It's a simple game sometimes.

This is a competetive PL side now and despite some poor performances there was a chance somebody was going to get a tonking, the new signings have made a massive difference.

His record is second to non in regards to available managers.  If he can organise the defence and bring in some DCMs to replace OK we should have the attacking power to score goals with Pereira OR without and £25m + in the pocket.  I won't be petitioning for him to stay but if he decides he does want to take it on we should get right behind him.
This ,,plus the fact if he gets us back up who else would be available that stands a better chance of keeping us up ,like him or loathe him(as a good many do on here) that is the reality we will be faced with.
(04-03-2021, 02:44 PM)tiptontown Wrote: It was some of the best football we've played all season today. Lets leave the squabbling about the manager till the end of the season to see where we are.

This in spades.

But at the same time let's give credit to the manager who won the game today.

(04-03-2021, 10:02 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 07:35 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 05:08 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:37 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:28 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Not at all. I accept Allardyce has made us fitter, and in the last few games we have been more organised, unfortunately he was brought in to win games and outside of today, we’ve just not done that enough.

Prior to today we had scored once in 5 games and failed to beat Fulham and Newcastle at home, even take a point from Sheff United despite leading in 2 of those games and in our only win in the last 10 games the opposition missed 2 penalties. 

I have praised Allardyce for getting us fitter, and for getting more discipline into the side, and I’ve said on a different thread if Roy had done what Sam did today he’d be eulogised for months, however I’ve seen very little from Sam so far to join in the Allardyce circle jerk.

Do you think Sam spent his time off watching the Turkish league and same in with those two players on his hit list? Not a chance.

Thinking a particular manager is the best option to see us promoted / long shot stay up is simply that. It’s not ott given the alternatives mentioned on here or myopic as Peachy proclaimed. It’s a sensible option depending upon whether both the club and manager can agree it’s right for both parties.

Problem is Derek is that there’s still very little evidence that Sam is the right man to take us forward... his PPG is still poor, and bar the odd flash in the pan the results haven’t warranted an extension.  Sadly. not being Bilic isn’t really a qualification for a job.

(04-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:28 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Do you think Sam spent his time off watching the Turkish league and same in with those two players on his hit list? Not a chance.

Do you think that he had nothing to do with identifying that we needed a solid defensive midfielder and a more physical, actual centre forward unit up top? Bilic clearly didn't think either were needed, that's why he blew the last 15m in his budget on a 22 year old wide player that he seemed to think was a lone striker, even though he'd struggled to play that role at Championship level, and his 58 year old mate that played right back for Chelsea in the late 1970s.

Sam deserves no credit for identifying what we needed either right, nor integrating them into the team?

(04-03-2021, 02:29 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I'm not impressed with Sam generally, excellent today, and if he does the impossible he stays next season deservedly.

It won't happen, but if it did can you imagine the mental gymnastics that would have to happen on here to try and strip him of any credit then  Big Grin

So we should be praising Sam because he came in and said “we need a striker and a central midfielder” - fuck me, I’ve missed my calling in life Big Grin

Again, we shouldn’t be using the fact he’s spent money better than Bilic did as a yardstick!

Yes!!!  It seems to have baffled and blindsided a number of managers even though WE could all see it. I have no love for the fat fella but my biggest fear is that if he leaves we will be back to the double fucking pivot of JL and RS.  It's a simple game sometimes.

This is a competetive PL side now and despite some poor performances there was a chance somebody was going to get a tonking, the new signings have made a massive difference.

His record is second to non in regards to available managers.  If he can organise the defence and bring in some DCMs to replace OK we should have the attacking power to score goals with Pereira OR without and £25m + in the pocket.  I won't be petitioning for him to stay but if he decides he does want to take it on we should get right behind him.
This ,,plus the fact if he gets us back up who else would be available that stands a better chance of keeping us up ,like him or loathe him(as a good many do on here) that is the reality we will be faced with.

Yep.
Find it funny that with each result from week to week if we win it’s Allardyce the messiah or if we lose he’s useless and doesn’t know what he’s doing.What did happen today was that it became obvious that draws and just sitting behind the ball isn’t going to be enough now.The team attacked in numbers and got there reward and it’s got to be like this for the rest of the season.As for the manager situation this will resolve itself at the end of the season and at least there is a good choice out there.I’m not against any of three Allardyce,Wilder or Appleton taking over but out of the three Allardyce would be a safe bet to take the team back up and not only that he’d keep you up once your there.
(04-04-2021, 05:57 AM)Huggybear Wrote: Find it funny that with each result from week to week if we win it’s Allardyce the messiah or if we lose he’s useless and doesn’t know what he’s doing.What did happen today was that it became obvious that draws and just sitting behind the ball isn’t going to be enough now.The team attacked in numbers and got there reward and it’s got to be like this for the rest of the season.As for the manager situation this will resolve itself at the end of the season and at least there is a good choice out there.I’m not against any of three Allardyce,Wilder or Appleton taking over but out of the three Allardyce would be a safe bet to take the team back up and not only that he’d keep you up once your there.
I feel the same but would prefer Wilder or BFS of the three. One thing is clear: the foundations are there for whoever is at the helm. The same back five who were - at best - ordinary in the Champ and now a decent, cohesive defensive unit. O'Shea, Townsend and Furlong are improving by the game. The players are fitter and, despite Bilic being lauded as the new Rinus Michels by some, the football is often better at BFS played at more pace and less sideways.