Golf
I class myself as a hacker off 24. I have been lucky enough to have played in the British Masters Pro-am at Walton Heath and the following week the Andalucia Masters Pro-am at Valderrama. All expenses paid by Adidas all for buying a new waterproof top at American golf. They didn't even tell me there was a prize draw for buying the product. When I got the email off Ag I thought it was a windup at first.
I find it tedious when people stereotype golfers.

The crazy golf at Saundersfoot is fucking boss.
(03-29-2021, 08:15 PM)MrFizz Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 07:05 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: I absolutely love links golf. The history, the dunes, firm ground, bunkering... it’s a fucker I live in the Midlands  Big Grin

Any other golfers here a big fan of the seaside links?

Played Royal St Davids (Harlech) which was great, and the New Course at St Andrews (unfortunately not the Old) but didnt really enjoy it as it was blowing a gale with horizontal rain.

Craziest course i played was Welshpool. Sheesh that was interesting.

Rain and wind together is no fun. I enjoy a strong breeze on a links course as it’s a laugh, but not getting wet.
(03-29-2021, 11:11 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: I find it tedious when people stereotype golfers.

The crazy golf at Saundersfoot is fucking boss.
I equally found it so BB when I was stereotyped as someone with spike boots allowing my dog to shit everywhere on the course hence the wind-up.
Don't know why I've never got into the game, a couple of pals play it regularly, and I lived right opposite Warley Woods golf course for the first 25 years of my life and now I've 2 golf courses within a mile of me.

Have tended to see sport being more about physical activity. I think I'd rather play tennis or squash, both games I can hold my own at. 

I do wish to reiterate though, I think it's a decent game and I also occasionally like to watch it too.

(03-29-2021, 02:57 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 09:55 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I curse you golfers. We've a lovely golf course where I am which has become a perfect park in the lockdown. Now those bastards with their irons are back!

Thanks for this Tartan Rug. I've never seen this film, although know a lot about it. I found it on Netflix last night and will watch it over Easter. Being about the same age as the character Michael Douglas played in this film I think I can relate to this far more than when I was in my 20s when this came out.
(03-29-2021, 11:52 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 07:05 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: I absolutely love links golf. The history, the dunes, firm ground, bunkering... it’s a fucker I live in the Midlands  Big Grin

Played Royal St Davids (Harlech) which was great, and the New Course at St Andrews (unfortunately not the Old) but didnt really enjoy it as it was blowing a gale with horizontal rain.

Rain and wind together is no fun. I enjoy a strong breeze on a links course as it’s a laugh, but not getting wet.

Same here. The older I get the more "fairweather golfer" I become. If it starts to rain when you're on course then you carry on, no issue. But if it's raining as I get to the first tee I'm the first to suggest fuggin it off.

As an aside, I was asked today if I had a nice day off yesterday. I replied that I did and said it was the first time I'd felt in months that life was not just about work. Hope you get a similar feeling!
(03-30-2021, 10:36 AM)Fido Wrote:

Same here. The older I get the more "fairweather golfer" I become. If it starts to rain when you're on course then you carry on, no issue. But if it's raining as I get to the first tee I'm the first to suggest fuggin it off.

As an aside, I was asked today if I had a nice day off yesterday. I replied that I did and said it was the first time I'd felt in months that life was not just about work. Hope you get a similar feeling!

4pm tomorrow I’m playing... I literally can’t wait! I feel like an excited kid at Xmas!
(03-30-2021, 10:58 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 10:36 AM)Fido Wrote:

4pm tomorrow I’m playing... I literally can’t wait! I feel like an excited kid at Xmas!

I bet. I played old boy's golf yesterday on a few holes and felt all the better for it eg. two irons instead of trying to spank the arse of it with a fairway wood to clear the water.