Make Albion Great Again
(02-03-2021, 01:19 PM)Atomic Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 01:14 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Isn't that pretty much the same defence that was conceding goals for fun towards the end of the Championship?

Yes it ain't good enough. For all that Barts gives his all or Ajayi is quick it lacks quality.

TBF to Barts since arriving he has played behind a defensive midfield shield consisting of Livermore, a 36 year old Barry, an out of position Brunt, a non tackling Sawyers and miscellaneous other players of pretty mediocre ability, fitness and form (sorry Sam) as well as a pretty jittery keeper.   Not saying they would be keeping clean sheets otherwise but might be worth persevering with in a mire balanced team? We shall see as there is no other option.
(02-03-2021, 10:52 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 10:38 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:50 AM)Dumbo Wrote: Next season will see an air of excitement anyway, purely as that’s when we’ll be allowed to go back to the matches. Attendances will be full and atmospheres will be buzzing.

Usually a bad season would see a drop in both but not being there for over a year and getting back to what we all love will change that.

Of course, a few bad results and attendance will drop and atmosphere will turn lol....but that’s that.

Agreed, and importantly we'll have a nucleus of players who've been successful in the Championship before and will know what it's all about which tends to lead to a more successful side than say one that's been in the PL for quite some time and is having to adjust quickly to a new division.

We'll have a very competitive side with just a couple of additions in central midfield, where most of them have experienced winning a division, and for all their inadequacies on the pitch, the likes of Livermore ad Phillips will be useful around the training ground and to fill in for a couple games if needed

Button, Townsend, Ajayi, XXXX, Furlong, XXXX, XXXX, Grady, Pereira, Snodgrass, Robinson .

Exactly.

Gayle on a free and a few battlers in midfield and the right manager and we’ll be in and around promotion.

Palmer
Furlong Ajai Bartley Townsend
Snodgrass XXXX
Diangana Periera Robinson
Gayle

Snodgrass ain't gonna suddenly become a holding midfielder. He'll be on one wing next season.
(02-03-2021, 01:19 PM)Atomic Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 01:14 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Isn't that pretty much the same defence that was conceding goals for fun towards the end of the Championship?

Yes it ain't good enough. For all that Barts gives his all or Ajayi is quick it lacks quality.

As has been said, Bartley and Ajayi were conceding goals because of the lack of a shielding midfielder - if we fix that we'll see a few more clean sheets IMO. 

I'd be tempted to give Bartley an extension as we know he can play at that level and we have other focuses - and should we get promoted we'd need to invest in that position anyway.

Grant, Robinson and if we could swing it, Gayle would be a fantastic set of options, particularly if one of Morton, Tulloch or Diaby could progress into the reckoning, Diaby would at least give us a physical presence. We've also got Zohore to consider under the right manager.... 

Central midfield and fullback is where we need to invest. Whilst Townsend and Furlong are good enough for the Champ, neither are good enough to consistently play in the Prem so we'll need to get that balance right.

2 new fullbacks, a replacement for Bartley if we choose to let him go and a couple of midfielders (or hope Harper returns from Blues refreshed!) and we're in a good place...
(02-03-2021, 09:50 AM)Dumbo Wrote: Next season will see an air of excitement anyway, purely as that’s when we’ll be allowed to go back to the matches. Attendances will be full and atmospheres will be buzzing.

Usually a bad season would see a drop in both but not being there for over a year and getting back to what we all love will change that.

Of course, a few bad results and attendance will drop and atmosphere will turn lol....but that’s that.

Agreed, and importantly we'll have a nucleus of players who've been successful in the Championship before and will know what it's all about which tends to lead to a more successful side than say one that's been in the PL for quite some time and is having to adjust quickly to a new division.

We'll have a very competitive side with just a couple of additions in central midfield, where most of them have experienced winning a division, and for all their inadequacies on the pitch, the likes of Livermore ad Phillips will be useful around the training ground and to fill in for a couple games if needed

Button, Townsend, Ajayi, XXXX, Furlong, XXXX, XXXX, Grady, Pereira, Snodgrass, Robinson .

Exactly.

Gayle on a free and a few battlers in midfield and the right manager and we’ll be in and around promotion.

Palmer
Snodgrass XXXX
Gayle

Pereira, Diangana, Snodgrass will be gone and so might Robinson so not sure this is even worth considering.
(02-03-2021, 03:31 PM)woodman Wrote:

Exactly.

Palmer
Snodgrass XXXX
Gayle

Pereira, Diangana, Snodgrass will be gone and so might Robinson so not sure this is even worth considering.

Where will Grady, Snodgrass and Robinson go exactly?

And Periera will only go if someone pays us big money.
(02-03-2021, 03:47 PM)Dumbo Wrote:

Exactly.

Palmer
Snodgrass XXXX
Gayle

There’s no way snodgrass will be playing holding midfield, he’ll be on the wing. But I agree he’ll be with us, as will Grady. And probably Robinson. Prem clubs will not want to sign them!

I agree only pereira may leave if there’s a decent bid.
(02-03-2021, 03:55 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 03:47 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 10:38 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Agreed, and importantly we'll have a nucleus of players who've been successful in the Championship before and will know what it's all about which tends to lead to a more successful side than say one that's been in the PL for quite some time and is having to adjust quickly to a new division.

Exactly.

Palmer
Snodgrass XXXX
Gayle

There’s no way snodgrass will be playing holding midfield, he’ll be on the wing. But I agree he’ll be with us, as will Grady. And probably Robinson. Prem clubs will not want to sign them!

I agree only pereira may leave if there’s a decent bid.

Grady has been awful this season, and has 5 years on his deal... we will only sell if someone offers us a fast profit, and that isn’t happening.

If someone wants to offer £10m+ for Robinson, so be it. We replace and move on.

Snodgrass will be here next season and I’d probably be giving him the armband.

Pereira I’d love to think will stay and give us another year like Buendia  and Brooks have done, but he’s the biggest risk. The good thing is his contract isn’t high, and will have 4 years to run... £30m and he’s anyones.

Johnstone will go, but we have 3 players at the club in Griffiths, Palmer and Button to step in, and the latter dare I say may be better suited to the Champ where his ability on crosses, distribution and concentration will be more important than shot stopping.

Ultimately there is nothing to suggest we won’t spend the money we make in player sales on transfers and wages - we did it the last 2 seasons we were in the Champ. The concern is just whether we will find the right quality to make a concerted push, but in his last 3 windows at that level, for the most part Downing has delivered.
(02-03-2021, 10:43 AM)The liquidator Wrote:

I really think you are clutching at straws at us having full grounds I think it will be at least another 12 months

I agree Liq.  This thing is mutating and they're already admitting the efficacy of the Astra vaccine is compromised.  

It's not going to go away, it's a deadly disease not a virus - I think the name Coronavirus is very misleading. 

The other thing is, by the time we can go back many will have moved on to other things.  It cost me £2.50 last night (6 bottles of alcohol free Becks  Smile ) to watch the game at home instead of probably £50 if I went to the game.  People will spend the money on other things.
(02-03-2021, 04:57 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

I really think you are clutching at straws at us having full grounds I think it will be at least another 12 months

I agree Liq.  This thing is mutating and they're already admitting the efficacy of the Astra vaccine is compromised.  

It's not going to go away, it's a deadly disease not a virus - I think the name Coronavirus is very misleading. 

The other thing is, by the time we can go back many will have moved on to other things.  It cost me £2.50 last night (6 bottles of alcohol free Becks  Smile ) to watch the game at home instead of probably £50 if I went to the game.  People will spend the money on other things.

No they won’t. The second fans are allowed back, people will be going in their droves. Even casual fans.
(02-03-2021, 05:13 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:57 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

No they won’t. The second fans are allowed back, people will be going in their droves. Even casual fans.

My lad has no interest in watching this tat on the telly, would rather play FIFA,  but can't wait to come back to the Hawthorns with me.