Appleton next year?
(02-03-2021, 09:33 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Leave the bullshit about projects, two, three year plans, ravenous, progressive young coaches in the bin where they belong and ask the question will Appleton give us the best chance of promotion to the Prem before the parachute payments run out?

That will be the question the owners will be asking themselves. Anything else is romantic tosh governed by  the daft idea that because someone played and had a coaching role for us before that will make them a better fit than someone completely unconnected.

I have doubts that he is the right choice. This is a big rebuild job with a two year timeframe. After that say hello Birmingham City, Sheff Weds.

The two can co-exist Derek.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your dislike of wanky terms like “young and progressive” or “next level” and that we simply need the best manager to deliver the task at hand, the best chance of consistently finding that is by having a long term structure and vision that specifies the skill set required at any given time in our evolution. 

As I’ve said on a different thread, the Chairman and DOF, and the support functions around them need to be fit for purpose and built with a long term plan in mind... the managerial position is likely to be the shortest lived of anyone at the club - both playing and off field - so needs to have the least impact on the long term plan possible.
Head Coaches will come and go. What we need is a consistent recruitment strategy and style of play. We seem to go from one end to the other with every appointment.

Dowling concerns me as he's wasted money on piss poor signings.
Put this on another thread.
Just to ask this Question would Appleton if chosen to be our new manager want to leave Lincoln if they do attain promotion as well as getting to a Wembley final. Yes I know we are a lot bigger club and he has ties to Albion but I think it would be a big choice for him.
(02-03-2021, 10:57 AM)wba13 Wrote: Put this on another thread.
Just to ask this Question would Appleton if chosen to be our new manager want  to leave Lincoln if they do attain promotion as well as getting to a Wembley final. Yes I know we are a lot bigger club and he has ties to Albion but I think it would be a big choice for him.
If he's ambitious the answer is yes. He also knows our club inside out and probably lives here too.

It's like when Ardiles left us for Spurs- a no brainer.
(02-03-2021, 07:31 AM)clem4england Wrote: I just cannot wait for the summer for Gibbs, Ivanovic, HRK etc to be released and we can get some young, hungry players in and begin again. That recruitment is more key than a coach IMO as we likely need a keeper, two full backs, a centre half, two midfielders and a strier.

Appy or Cook would be fine for me but we need to get back to that Ashworth- Hodgson model ASAP with a coach who buys into it and a TD who spots Mulumbus and Olssons rather than Zohores and Ivanovics.

Agreed.  Other than about 2 of them, I would be quite happy if we sold the lot of this gutless unfit mob
(02-03-2021, 01:00 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
Just to ask this Question would Appleton if chosen to be our new manager want  to leave Lincoln if they do attain promotion as well as getting to a Wembley final. Yes I know we are a lot bigger club and he has ties to Albion but I think it would be a big choice for him.
If he's ambitious the answer is yes. He also knows our club inside out and probably lives here too.

He doesn’t know our club inside out.

Nothing remains since his last spell with us. The players, coaches, academy, infrastructure, owners...the lot has changed. 

I don’t potentially want Appleton because he’s familiar with the club or because he played with us, I want him because he’s a good coach, with a history of promotions and renowned man management and ideas.

Would he keep Lincoln in the Championship? Most of their better players are on loan, and 5,000 fans (and a year of COVID impact) means they're hardly likely to have the resources to do anything more than a Wycombe style damage limitation season.

Secondly, look at the managers who have done similar jobs previously... Nigel Clough got Burton into the Championship and now he's in L2 with Mansfield Town, and Gary Johnson's reward for getting Yeovil into the Championship was a move to Bristol City, Nathan Jones got two promotions with Luton and his reward was Stoke...  and clubs are hardly lining up to prise Ainsworth away from Wycombe (though I reckon he's nailed on for the QPR job when they sack off Warburton).

If Appleton gets Lincoln into the Championship, we're the best opportunity he's likely to get whether he decides to stay or not. He's ambitious and wants to manage at the top level, those opportunities don't come along very often, and I'd argue his reputation will be higher on the back of winning L1 than it would be a scrappy battling Championship survival bid.
(02-03-2021, 01:08 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 01:00 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

He doesn’t know our club inside out.

Nothing remains since his last spell with us. The players, coaches, academy, infrastructure, owners...the lot has changed. 

I don’t potentially want Appleton because he’s familiar with the club or because he played with us, I want him because he’s a good coach, with a history of promotions and renowned man management and ideas.

This.

The idea that someone “knows the club” is bollocks these days. Does anyone genuinely believe that a group of lazy, unmotivated multi-millionaires are going to be suddenly sparked into life just because this new bloke played for the club for a few seasons 20 years ago?

I’m not against the idea of Appleton taking over, but as others have said he’ll be appointed for his managerial abilities not because he once played here.
(02-03-2021, 01:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Would he keep Lincoln in the Championship? Most of their better players are on loan, and 5,000 fans (and a year of COVID impact) means they're hardly likely to have the resources to do anything more than a Wycombe style damage limitation season.

Secondly, look at the managers who have done similar jobs previously... Nigel Clough got Burton into the Championship and now he's in L2 with Mansfield Town, and Gary Johnson's reward for getting Yeovil into the Championship was a move to Bristol City, Nathan Jones got two promotions with Luton and his reward was Stoke...  and clubs are hardly lining up to prise Ainsworth away from Wycombe (though I reckon he's nailed on for the QPR job when they sack off Warburton).

If Appleton gets Lincoln into the Championship, we're the best opportunity he's likely to get whether he decides to stay or not. He's ambitious and wants to manage at the top level, those opportunities don't come along very often, and I'd argue his reputation will be higher on the back of winning L1 than it would be a scrappy battling Championship survival bid.

There's a big glass ceiling for British managers now. Why else is a proven manager like Dyche still at Burnley despite falling out with the Burnley board? Because there is no other club for him to go to.

So for many up and coming managers, the best chance of getting into the PL is via promotion from the Championship. Is Appleton going to achieve that with Lincoln, I think not.