Pereira
(01-10-2021, 02:16 PM)wbamitch Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 02:04 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:40 PM)wbamitch Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:29 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:27 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: I agree with this Liq but I don't get that people can see this under two managers now and yet it was Bilic's fault.

The belief that Allardyce will do anything with this team apart from disrupt them, bring in his players and keep us up is a pipe dream. 

I would accept that a change from Bilic was reluctantly needed but this appointment is simply ludicrous, desperate and short sighted to the point I feel it could put us into the wilderness for many years to come.

Why will the appointment of Big Sam put us any more in the wilderness than retaining Slav would.

With Slav we had a direction and plan to bring the age of the squad down and build a young side with resale value. Yes we’ve made some bad signings but it doesn’t mean what we were trying to do was wrong. We’re now in a situation with a manager who wants to rip all of that to shreds and bring in experienced heads to perform what would be a minor miracle in keeping us up. Snodgrass might well turn out to be a good signing but if we litter the squad out with 33 year olds we will be back at square one with a bunch of players we can’t sell (some of them are finally out of contract at the end of this season Gibbs, Austin, HRK etc)

Was that direction all Slav’s doing? Dowling stated the need to reduce the age of the squad upon joining long before Slav... the decision to shift to short term planning was taken at the top level, and keeping Slav for another couple months would have made no difference

Where is the evidence we are going to litter the side with all these old players? Slav signed Barry, Peltier, Ivanovic...

I’m not saying we should have kept Bilic. I’m saying we need to find a long term strategy and stick to it. Norwich could have sacked Farke last Christmas, gone in the opposite direction and hired Sam. Instead they stuck to what they were doing and look well placed to come back up. Unfortunately we have owners who are desperate to sell the club and are willing to go all in on staying up regardless of the long term effects on the club

I think the PL is absolute dross.

However, of course, the owners are going to go all-in on staying up, it's worth millions to them. You would too if it were your money. There is absolutely no guarantee that any club will bounce back. Norwich are top now, but that Championship table looks very tight and there's a long way to go until the season ends.

Also the idea of a long-term strategy. There's no such thing in football. Clubs do what it takes to get results on the pitch. If Plan A doesn't work, they go for Plan B.