The Serpent
Anybody else spot the glaring mistake?
Whenever French speaking people spoke to each other it was in French with subtitles but when the Dutch guy spoke to the Flemish Belgian guy (essentially the same language) - it was in English?
(01-22-2021, 09:43 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 09:09 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 08:03 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 06:33 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 07:48 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: Watched all 8.

Yeah the time hopping can make it harder to follow if you don’t watch it carefully, or have killed too many brain cells celebrating at the weekend, but it’s worth it.

Good series and a crime spree and murders I’d never heard of or knew a thing about.

Same here - but I guess the Yorkshire Ripper etc was making headlines here around then?
Started reading about him and there is obviously renewed interest as they have managed to track down one of his later accomplices:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...rpent.html
Jack the Ripper for me is the ultimate who dunnit. He was, without doubt an evil cunt who deserved a slow, very painful death for what he did.

Portrait of a Killer by by Patricia Cornwell is a good read.
She spent several million of her own money investigating the case taking DNA samples from 'Ripper' letters etc.
She was convinced it was Walter Sickert.

I've read a fair few Ripper books including the one you mention.

By far the best I have read recently is called The Five and it's a detailed and we'll researched description of the lives of his much maligned victims. One, as you probably know was from Wolverhampton! A different slant but a great and, in many places, saddening read.

Give it a go.

Have you read the one by Philip Sugden, excellent in the way he analyses the evidence.
(01-23-2021, 09:55 PM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 09:43 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 09:09 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 06:33 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Same here - but I guess the Yorkshire Ripper etc was making headlines here around then?
Started reading about him and there is obviously renewed interest as they have managed to track down one of his later accomplices:

Jack the Ripper for me is the ultimate who dunnit. He was, without doubt an evil cunt who deserved a slow, very painful death for what he did.

Portrait of a Killer by by Patricia Cornwell is a good read.
She spent several million of her own money investigating the case taking DNA samples from 'Ripper' letters etc.
She was convinced it was Walter Sickert.

I've read a fair few Ripper books including the one you mention.

By far the best I have read recently is called The Five and it's a detailed and we'll researched description of the lives of his much maligned victims. One, as you probably know was from Wolverhampton! A different slant but a great and, in many places, saddening read.

Give it a go.

Have you read the one by Philip Sugden, excellent in the way he analyses the evidence.
I've got The Complete History but didn't know he'd written another! I'm slow.
No you are not Sugden died in 2014
(01-21-2021, 10:02 PM)foreveralbion Wrote: found it very good as i knew nothing about this so served both as a drama and a documentary.

would have preferred a toned down kippenberg though.

There is a two page interview with Knippenberg in today’s MoS.
(01-22-2021, 09:00 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

Yeah the time hopping can make it harder to follow if you don’t watch it carefully, or have killed too many brain cells celebrating at the weekend, but it’s worth it.

Good series and a crime spree and murders I’d never heard of or knew a thing about.

Same here - but I guess the Yorkshire Ripper etc was making headlines here around then?

Ripper trails around Whitechapel worth it if you have not done before.

Beers for that. I’ve contemplated going on those before but never got round to it.  I started researching on the internet a few years ago about his murders whilst I was working in Liverpool St and discovered that I’d unknowingly stood above the spot of his final victim’s house which was an Indian wholesale / retail warehouse (since demolished and now totally built over the area of her house.

I also went to the visit the locations of his other murders as something to do during lunch breaks
(01-24-2021, 08:14 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Beers for that. I’ve contemplated going on those before but never got round to it.  I started researching on the internet a few years ago about his murders whilst I was working in Liverpool St and discovered that I’d unknowingly stood above the spot of his final victim’s house which was an Indian wholesale / retail warehouse (since demolished and now totally built over the area of her house.

I also went to the visit the locations of his other murders as something to do during lunch breaks

I fancy your chances of solving the case.

Keep us posted!  Big Grin
(01-24-2021, 10:28 AM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 08:14 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 06:33 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Same here - but I guess the Yorkshire Ripper etc was making headlines here around then?

I fancy your chances of solving the case.

Keep us posted!  Big Grin

After looking at the murder sites myself, what I was able to ascertain is that he didn’t get away using a car.
(01-21-2021, 09:41 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 09:27 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 07:16 AM)Wayne The Baggie Wrote: Didn't finish the 1st episode. Time hop really annoying, and it didn't seem to be going anywhere?

I’ve just watched episode 1 and the time jumping was ok as it was clearly dis pale yes on the screen (if a bit too slowly). But it was a bit dull and one paced.

It’s really worth sticking with.

Cheers Manc

Finished the series the other night and both myself and my son thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also finished it last night, really enjoyed it overall and some great dramatic moments. The last episode was a bit weird though, it all felt a bit rushed. Like others I never heard about him before, the actor who played him did a great job.