US Capitol Building
Please everyone can we stop turning this thread into a Brexit debate. It's about America's issues having a narcissistic wannabe dictator in the Oval Office.
Comparisons with the remain/leave divisions are just facile; this is more akin to how Pinochet's tenure in Chile got started - the refusal of the right to accept a democratic vote. There's a certain irony in the comparison though, considering the role that the CIA and US covert* operatives played in facilitating the coup.

Joe Biden is not Salvador Allende, but there's probably plenty on Team Trump who are ready to be persuaded that he is. Anybody who thinks western democracies are secure simply because we get a vote every four or five years is sleepwalking. 

* That's 'covert' as in half the world knew about it.
For those of you who suggested Boris is as bad as Trump I reckon now is time to pipe down.

A truly bonkers comparison to draw in the first place.

(01-06-2021, 10:11 PM)spyro 123 Wrote: both trump and biden are controlled by the rothchilds anyway

Big Grin Smile Big Grin Morning Jew-Baiter.

If the Rothchilds were any good at controlling anything I'd be making far more money from their bloody investment trust in my SIPP.
Well I'm sure that even in the midst of global pandemic and the potential disintegration of American democracy we can still all take a minute to spare a thought for the disappointing performance of Protheroe's portfolio.

[Bows head]
(01-07-2021, 10:01 AM)Ossian Wrote: Well I'm sure that even in the midst of global pandemic and the potential disintegration of American democracy we can still all take a minute to spare a thought for the disappointing performance of Protheroe's portfolio.

[Bows head]

Fortunately I'm well diversified, but thanks for your concern. Wink

Seriously, for a moment. If anyone is interested in exploring the roots of last night's events in the US, it's the culmination of decades of fringe extremist paranoia. It's a cheap and lazy jibe to call these people 'right wing' because I've met tens of thousands of right wingers over the decades in the UK & US and none of them terrify me as much as this lot.

A great starting point is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article...ty-bombing

You'll hear real echoes of last night in this excellent series.
(01-07-2021, 08:14 AM)The liquidator Wrote: You should you ugly duckling.

The rhectric was the same doing mass protests just these lunatics took it a step further.

The word you a were searching for is  'rhetoric'.

The 'step further' you refer to has resulted in four deaths.

Trying to decide who is the greater idiot - you or Melbourne. You win.
(01-07-2021, 09:52 AM)Protheroe Wrote: For those of you who suggested Boris is as bad as Trump I reckon now is time to pipe down.

(01-06-2021, 10:11 PM)spyro 123 Wrote: both trump and biden are controlled by the rothchilds anyway

If the Rothchilds were any good at controlling anything I'd be making far more money from their bloody investment trust in my SIPP.

The comparison is with popularism as a political position to take and the tactics that go with it. You are the one who is trying to frame the debate as Boris Johnson is not as bad as Trump as some kind of political / moral victory for where we are as a country politically.
(01-07-2021, 10:23 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 09:52 AM)Protheroe Wrote: For those of you who suggested Boris is as bad as Trump I reckon now is time to pipe down.

The comparison is with popularism as a political position to take and the tactics that go with it. You are the one who is trying to frame the debate as Boris Johnson is not as bad as Trump as some kind of political / moral victory for where we as a country politically.

There are "milder" comparisons:

The Brexit/EPG client media run by billionaire plutocrats sowing vitriol and lies;
The use of a clown populist idiot by a main Party in an election to "get it done"/Drain the Swamp;
The nutter fringe/Farage calling on 100,000 march to the Supreme Court to "let them know" as a threat as to how they should make judgements;
The despicable headlines against the Supreme Court from the Leave media plutocrats - "Enemies Of The People" and judges' lives threatened.  That was the day we saw the veil drawn aside.
(01-07-2021, 10:22 AM)74bus Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 08:14 AM)The liquidator Wrote: You should you ugly duckling.

The rhectric was the same doing mass protests just these lunatics took it a step further.

The word you a were searching for is  'rhetoric'.

The 'step further' you refer to has resulted in four deaths.

Trying to decide who is the greater idiot - you or Melbourne. You win.

You OK hunny  Heart

(01-07-2021, 09:22 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: As a remainer i find it objectionable to compare us to what occurred in Washington yesterday.

Yes many remainers found it hard to accept the result, but accept it they have, we have now left the EU. There has been no attempt to use violence to stop us leaving the EU.

And in the period between the referendum and us leaving, there were added complications that hindered the process of leaving.

1 - A general election in 2017 which led to Parliament being more fragmented, particulalrly over Brexit than it was before.
2 - Am internal Conservative Party power struggle which used Brexit as a determining factor in who would win that struggle. Remember it was Conservative Brexiteers who helped defeat May's withdraal agreement and thus lengthened the process.

Since the more decisive GE result of 2019 there has been no ore dissent over this issue, because the remain side has accepted the democratic process - even if we don't and continue not to like the outcome.

Why did you find it hard to accept?
Trump nutters reminiscent of here 4 years ago. Trying to overturn a democratic election/referendum result. Blaming corruption as to why they lost. Democracy will win as it has here.