Lai to sell.
Every day I seem to see a call for Lai to sell up and go, so I am intrigued to hear, who those calling for this, think will come up with the £200 million purchase price and then the investment of so many millions that they crave, in the middle of a pandemic.
Folk need to lai off the chairman?
I was amazed anybody met JRP's asking price, so I'd be astounded if anybody offered anything north of £100 million right now.
We're stuck with him. No one else dumb enough to pay what he did.
(01-04-2021, 06:17 PM)Ossian Wrote: I was amazed anybody met JRP's asking price, so I'd be astounded if anybody offered anything north of £100 million right now.

With Covid and one foot in the Chump you're probably looking at £50-75m??  Difficult to say really

Lerner sold Villa for £76m in 2016.  Don't know how much Xia sold for.  Xia said in October 16 that the seals will be 'the top club in Europe in 5 years time with the biggest fanbase in the world'.  They're not far away! 

Wolves bought by Fosun for £45m in 2016.
We had six different groups sniffing around at the end of last year. I do worry. There are many worse owners out there than Lai.
What worries me is how much borrowed money has been taken out against the club to buy it in the first place and who Lai is fronting for, because in China the “face” of an operation is very rarely the actual person pulling the strings.
(01-04-2021, 07:13 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 06:17 PM)Ossian Wrote: I was amazed anybody met JRP's asking price, so I'd be astounded if anybody offered anything north of £100 million right now.

With Covid and one foot in the Chump you're probably looking at £50-75m??  Difficult to say really

Lerner sold Villa for £76m in 2016.  Don't know how much Xia sold for.  Xia said in October 16 that the seals will be 'the top club in Europe in 5 years time with the biggest fanbase in the world'.  They're not far away! 

Those are meaningless comparisons. Both of those clubs were deeply in debt and making huge annual losses.  We had no debt and made a profit I think 9 years out of 10 around that time.  That’s how businesses are valued.  We were expensive because of what Lai was buying.  Villa and Wolves were cheap because of their financial messes which any buyer would need to throw money at in order to turn them around.

(01-04-2021, 07:59 PM)TTM2 Wrote: What worries me is how much borrowed money has been taken out against the club to buy it in the first place and who Lai is fronting for, because in China the “face” of an operation is very rarely the actual person pulling the strings.

No debt was taken out “against the club” to buy it.  Debt might be secured against the shares, but that’s Lai’s consortium’s risk, not the club’s risk.
(01-04-2021, 09:20 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Those are meaningless comparisons. Both of those clubs were deeply in debt and making huge annual losses.  We had no debt and made a profit I think 9 years out of 10 around that time.  That’s how businesses are valued.  We were expensive because of what Lai was buying.  Villa and Wolves were cheap because of their financial messes which any buyer would need to throw money at in order to turn them around.

(01-04-2021, 07:59 PM)TTM2 Wrote: What worries me is how much borrowed money has been taken out against the club to buy it in the first place and who Lai is fronting for, because in China the “face” of an operation is very rarely the actual person pulling the strings.

No debt was taken out “against the club” to buy it.  Debt might be secured against the shares, but that’s Lai’s consortium’s risk, not the club’s risk.

Correct
(01-04-2021, 09:25 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 09:20 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Correct
S151 Companies Act prevents borrowing against the club's assets to purchase it, Manc?

The club's shares may be pledged as third party security, but that doesn't mean the club is at any risk. I personally doubt the shares have been pledged, because without recourse to the club's assets, and no market to sell the shares on, they have limited value to a banker.