Biggest disappointment
tbf to Grady, how many times do we actually see him up against a FB in an advanced position? He's been forced back in most games, helping out the defence.
Sawyers is a case in point: as a footballer he probably has more ability than either Claudio Yacob or Youssuf Mulumbu, and maybe that's what gives him the misplaced confidence to think he can play at walking pace. As a consequence he'll never be anywhere near the player that Yacob or Mulumbu were at this level.
(12-29-2020, 08:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: Sawyers is a case in point: as a footballer he probably has more ability than either Claudio Yacob or Youssuf Mulumbu, and maybe that's what gives him the misplaced confidence to think he can play at walking pace. As a consequence he'll never be anywhere near the player that Yacob or Mulumbu were at this level.

This.

If you can't be the best, be the fittest, be the most organised, be the most driven.

Amount if times Man Utd didn't have the best squad yet won the league at what looked like a canter
(12-29-2020, 08:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: Sawyers is a case in point: as a footballer he probably has more ability than either Claudio Yacob or Youssuf Mulumbu, and maybe that's what gives him the misplaced confidence to think he can play at walking pace. As a consequence he'll never be anywhere near the player that Yacob or Mulumbu were at this level.

The worst thing is walking pace gives him even more time to LOOK THE FUCK UP!
There was no way we had the second best squad in 2001/2002 but we were fitter, more organised and more determined than any side in the division that season. These qualities can make a HUGE difference. If the current lot had that, we'd stand half a chance of making a fight of it.
(12-29-2020, 07:45 PM)baggie_ray Wrote: I'm going for...our inability to find one of our own players with a simple pass, either through piss poor execution or the receiving player standing around gormlessly.

This.

In bundles.

A basic lack of ability.
None of our players on the pitch tonight (I didn’t say playing) are fit to even lace to boots of Yacob or Malumbu.

He may have 'talent', he has no footballing brain though. Yacob and Mulumbu had that in spades. i always remember the moment I realised we had what it took in the Premier League. It was after the 2010 promotion and whoever we were playing were defending a corner at the Smethwick end. I was sat in the Brummie and we'd all got used to seeing the ball in the back of our own net 20 seconds after taking a corner at the other end. On this occasion, the corner was cleared, the team broke at pace and Mulumbu confidently came across to the right, saw the danger and snuffed it out to win back possession and set us on the front foot. This was what we had previously never had and I knew in that instance that we'd be able to compete. Oh for a Mulumbu or Yacob now...
(12-29-2020, 08:26 PM)Supamart Wrote: None of our players on the pitch tonight (I didn’t say playing) are fit to even lace to boots of Yacob or Malumbu.

Edited for you.

Also agree with the rest of your statement.
滚开赖
(12-29-2020, 08:28 PM)steviedm Wrote:

He may have 'talent', he has no footballing brain though. Yacob and Mulumbu had that in spades. i always remember the moment I realised we had what it took in the Premier League. It was after the 2010 promotion and whoever we were playing were defending a corner at the Smethwick end. I was sat in the Brummie and we'd all got used to seeing the ball in the back of our own net 20 seconds after taking a corner at the other end. On this occasion, the corner was cleared, the team broke at pace and Mulumbu confidently came across to the right, saw the danger and snuffed it out to win back possession and set us on the front foot. This was what we had previously never had and I knew in that instance that we'd be able to compete. Oh for a Mulumbu or Yacob now...

Correct.

And neither player was an I man triahelete.

It's basic ability and talent.