The most unusual place you’ve met a fellow Baggie
(12-04-2020, 09:04 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 08:58 PM)Llandudno Baggie Wrote: Stuttgart, Germany, about five years ago.

Me, Mrs LB, and a group of friends, were wandering around the city centre, near the fountains after a boozy Beer Festival session.
I had an Albion polo shirt on.

A group of middle aged German blokes were sitting around a table outside, having a few drinks in the sunshine.
I noticed one of them was wearing a similar polo shirt with a big Albion Logo on it, and as I walked past I said "Come on you Baggie boys"  to which he sharply rose up like a salmon,  and shouted back "Boing Boing!-  Ja ?"

I met a fellow Baggie in an Irish pub in Boblingen (near Stuttgart) about 23 years ago where I went to watch the Cup game v Liverpool that we lost 1-0.
He was a student studying out there.

Was that O’Donovans? Spent a fortune there on expenses when working on a project in Schoenaich. Used to stay in the Reussenstein hotel that had a great restaurant attached to it.
Was photgraphing my lad in his shirt in front of the Acropolis in Athens when we got photobombed by a boinging hoard of Baggies.   Cheered me right up in the searing 40 degree heat that did.
My experience doesn't seem all that strange as it was at an Albion match, after all, it's not that unusual to meet a Baggies fan at a Baggies game, but I was watching us v Borussia Monchengladbach in Goch, when a bloke and his son came over to us the bloke in his Baggies shirt and the son in a Borussia one, the dad explained he had followed us since the Regis days and this was the first time he had seen us live, he wanted to grab a photo with us which his son grudgingly took.
In a bike shop near Stanley Park, Vancouver.
On the hard shoulder of a German autobahn one freezing January morning in 1991, we were in convoy between locations whilst on exercise. Although serving with the same unit we'd never met before due to being in different squadrons. Anyway, his lorry sprung a fuel leak and we pulled up behind to carry out emergency repairs with a view to getting him off the autobahn ASAP. Bodged the leak with some araldite, a metallic patch and some gaffer tape.

When we pulled into location I had to replace his fuel tank and carry out a fuel line modification. We got talking and hey presto, a baggie from Castle Bromwich. Bumped into him again a year later at New St station whilst on leave by which time he was a civilian. We didn't swap details until bumping into each other again as we made our way down the steps of the Brummie Road after a game in late '94. We're mates to this day.
(12-04-2020, 03:48 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 03:00 PM)Brandywell Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 01:20 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: The Crosby pub on the TT circuit used to be run by a Leeds fan and a Stoke Lass. Their son (another Stokie) spotted the tiniest of Abion pin badges on my cap and struck up a conversation. While we were talking at the bar an native of the IOM overheard us and joined in. Turned out he was a Baggies fan from a kid when we used to go there as part of the pre season and he's supported us ever since. He told me about the Albion pub on the island which I visited a few days later. Some great memories on the wall of that pub including a signed Willie Johnson boot.

Did you go over for the TT ?
I go every year for the TT and MGP/ Classic (apart from this year and next of course)  I guessed you were a Manxman from your name. I've spectated there a few times. Nice place to be Mon.

Every year for the TT and the Manx you must be minted lol

Albion pub landlord is now at the Railway in Union Mills no Albion stuff last time I was in but threatening to put some up.
(12-05-2020, 12:29 PM)Brandywell Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 03:48 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 03:00 PM)Brandywell Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 01:20 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: The Crosby pub on the TT circuit used to be run by a Leeds fan and a Stoke Lass. Their son (another Stokie) spotted the tiniest of Abion pin badges on my cap and struck up a conversation. While we were talking at the bar an native of the IOM overheard us and joined in. Turned out he was a Baggies fan from a kid when we used to go there as part of the pre season and he's supported us ever since. He told me about the Albion pub on the island which I visited a few days later. Some great memories on the wall of that pub including a signed Willie Johnson boot.

Did you go over for the TT ?
I go every year for the TT and MGP/ Classic (apart from this year and next of course)  I guessed you were a Manxman from your name. I've spectated there a few times. Nice place to be Mon.

Every year for the TT and the Manx you must be minted lol

Albion pub landlord is now at the Railway in Union Mills no Albion stuff last time I was in but threatening to put some up.
It ain't too heavy on the pocket unless you go mental. Just the Steam packet Co. usual rip off. Camping is usually less than a tenner per night and we take a lot of booze n stuff with us. I'll check out The Railway next time over, it's been a few years since I went in. I have noticed the back yard that overlooks the circuit has been modified. Fave pub on the island is The Creek in Peel. Great food and some decent bands on during TT as well as the big screen out the front for watching any sports happening and the evening TT programme on ITV4.
(12-05-2020, 08:16 AM)Fido Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 09:04 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 08:58 PM)Llandudno Baggie Wrote: Stuttgart, Germany, about five years ago.

Me, Mrs LB, and a group of friends, were wandering around the city centre, near the fountains after a boozy Beer Festival session.
I had an Albion polo shirt on.

A group of middle aged German blokes were sitting around a table outside, having a few drinks in the sunshine.
I noticed one of them was wearing a similar polo shirt with a big Albion Logo on it, and as I walked past I said "Come on you Baggie boys"  to which he sharply rose up like a salmon,  and shouted back "Boing Boing!-  Ja ?"

I met a fellow Baggie in an Irish pub in Boblingen (near Stuttgart) about 23 years ago where I went to watch the Cup game v Liverpool that we lost 1-0.
He was a student studying out there.

Was that O’Donovans? Spent a fortune there on expenses when working on a project in Schoenaich. Used to stay in the Reussenstein hotel that had a great restaurant attached to it.

Can't say I remember that as being the name and after looking at the images on google I don't recognise it as being the same place but it was over 20 years ago.
The missus is from Steinenbronn so will ask her siblings what the name of the pub was.
Cracking nights in there though!
In a pub in Pateley Bridge, north Yorkshire. Not a football area.
Chap at the bar wearing a Kevan Albion shirt. One of my heroes when I first watched the Albion.
Turns out that his dad's mate was DK's dad.
And the Tank (old reference!) was from N Yorkshire.
What a player he was!
Johnnykayeengland Wrote:In a pub in Pateley Bridge, north Yorkshire. Not a football area.
Chap at the bar wearing a Kevan Albion shirt. One of my heroes when I first watched the Albion.
Turns out that his dad's mate was DK's dad.
And the Tank (old reference!) was from N Yorkshire.
What a player he was!

I never knew that, I always assumed he was a local.  Derek Kevan has a gravestone in the Albion memorial ground back of the East Stand. I don't have any relatives there but call there once a year to remember family Albion members,  and to have some peace and reflection.