Birmingham Pub Bombings
(11-20-2020, 01:40 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: My parents missed being there that evening because of their 3 year old son - me.

I don't recall but apparently i kept being sick and much to my Dad's annoyance my mum wouldn't go and just leave me with the baby-sitter so their evening was cancelled. 

My Dad worked with the coppers at the time and many were (and still are) convinced they got the right men, they just had to fill in the missing pieces in order to secure a conviction...  I think we'll all agree not a good way to police!

With the latest arrest and now release (surprise surprise) I doubt we'll ever know who did it.

Some right thick coppers there were then, if they are convinced they got the right men. I know a relation of one of the B'ham Six and they were bewildered that he was arrested. He wasn't the brightest tool in the box. They thought he'd be out in a few days. 
Around 17 years of Lord Denning and his types saying: "A good Bwitish Judge and a good Bwitish jury," will ensure justice made sure there isn't any. 
Those six were typical old thick Paddy types, living in Brum with families in the city, a million miles from what a bomber is.
If the system hadn't stitched these unfortunate motley crew up, we wouldn't be still having this conversation now. The bastards who did it would be caught long ago.
Those bombs destroyed lives/families, the fabric of the Irish community, which was the biggest in the UK at the time, and nightlife in the city for many years too.
So sorry for all the families that they will, almost inevitably, never see justice.
Paul Foot found the real culprit years ago. TBF to the police (something I've never tried before, mind), passions were high, 6 were in a cell, forensics said they were guilty. You know the rest.