Private healthcare.
(11-17-2020, 07:07 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:35 PM)hudds Wrote: AXXA seem OK.  Touch wood....

Free blue pills?

Arf.
AXA...

Made my first claim earlier this yeah and they were very easy to deal with. Within a week of making the initial call I was booked into triage and had sessions set up almost immediately for treatment.

Doctor at Hand feature really useful too. Can book a virtual GP appointment at 30 minutes notice... ideal if something bothering you but wouldnt justify a trip to the docs.
(11-17-2020, 07:37 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: AXA...

Made my first claim earlier this yeah and they were very easy to deal with. Within a week of making the initial call I was booked into triage and had sessions set up almost immediately for treatment.

Doctor at Hand feature really useful too. Can book a virtual GP appointment at 30 minutes notice... ideal if something bothering you but wouldnt justify a trip to the docs.

[Image: williams.jpg]
I’ve had it for years with bupa for me and my family and never claimed, takes quite a bit off my tax code every year, but you just know what will happen when/if you cancel.......
With it I also have a lesser policy with a company called Healthshield. This covers things like dental, physio, glasses etc. I was only thinking the other day that this company must be raking it in this year, as they will be receiving much lower claims for everything.
I had BUPA in my last employment. Was able to claim for my glasses and also some dentistry costs too.

Never had to claim for anything more serious than that, so thankfully I have no idea if they're any good.
(11-17-2020, 07:07 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:35 PM)hudds Wrote: AXXA seem OK.  Touch wood....

Free blue pills?

cosmetic oak chopper
Aviva. Used them a lot over the past five years for various things and they have been excellent. 

Be aware though, if it is an emergency like a broken leg or complicated fracture, you will start in the NHS and are probably going to end up staying there.

For example, say you have been taken to the QE with a broken leg which will require a non-emergency op in say three days time.

To get out of the NHS system you will have to get your insurance company to confirm you are covered on your policy.   Then  book a consultant's appointment. That is likely to take a week to confirm. Then the consultant will hire a theatre and supporting staff at one of the private hospitals ( which are like five star hotels).  That could be another five days ahead depending on the consultant's availability, and theatre demand at the chosen hospital.  So you are best sticking with the NHS, and to be honest you have little choice.  

On the other hand,  for elective surgery such as a hernia or a hip operation, it is ideal.  You get to see the consultant when you want,  you fix an operation when you want, you get a private room and the staff treat you like a customer. The anesthetist comes and sees you, the consultant comes and does a final consult, and you get the job done.  They also will try to get you home as soon as possible, because you are recovering in what is a effectively a very expensive hotel room. 

You will also get a list of consultants and their websites  to enable you to see their qualifications and experience, and choose who you decide to see,  and a direct line to their PA to make sure you are fully informed. 

Interestingly you will also get a price list for each procedure.  I think the last hip op was about £21k ( I may be a bit out on that, I'll check).  Finally the follow up post-op is paid for as well.  We had a physio from the Nuffield who works with the GB Olympic team.  Absolutely brilliant. 

A friend who had a hip done on the NHS got one visit at home.  The physio asked him to climb three steps up and down on his stairs and said she didn't need to see him again.  To be fair he is fine. But the difference in treatment from start to finish is sadly shocking.  

There is also an element of being in control. If you don't like the treatment you are getting (very unlikely)  you just choose another consultant.  They are aware that they are in a competitive market so they treat you with some respect rather than a piece of meat.  They need to stay on the BUPA or Aviva list of of approved consultants to keep their gravy train running.  A few complaints and they will be removed from the list and lose a lot of money. 

Sorry to say it but it is raw capitalism.  Given that the NHS costs  £393 million a day, there should be no need for private health care. 

If you can afford it, and especially if you have kids and can afford it,  it is a no brainer.
AXA. We've had a few things done, but my wife's knee was done on the NHS. Interesting that Nuffield Health waited two years before billing us for the physio my wife had. I was concerned I might have gone past the deadline for claiming the excess back, but Nuffield waived the fee when I complained. I'm not sure how you stay in business if you don't collect the money.

Most private hospitals don't have the full range of emergency services. If something goes wrong while you're on the table, they will most probably dial 999. I suppose it's still better than going to Turkey for a cheap knee, hip or nose job.
Aviva through work, claimed once no problem.