Saving Britain's Pubs with Tom Kerridge
Just watching recording from other night. Sad that so many pubs have closed in the last 20 years. And the lockdown will kill off more.
(11-14-2020, 10:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Just watching recording from other night. Sad that so many pubs have closed in the last 20 years. And the lockdown will kill off more.

£15 for a breakfast!

Sounds like he's saving his own pocket to me.
A quarter of Britain's pubs closed in the last 20 years. So sad
If it meant a change in the drinking culture of the country to the benefit of the nation's health and it's people then you couldn't argue with it but it's like an adult version of kids disappearing into their bedrooms with their playstations (or whatever, I'm out of touch lol).  

Many don't want to (or maybe can't afford to?) go out anymore and would rather stack up on cheap shite at the supermarket.  Covid is enabling this and it'll be difficult to get people back into the habit of going for a regular drink in the same way as it'll be difficult to get people back to football stadiums.  Difficult to see grounds being freely open until August and who knows what the state of the country will be then.  Virtually every company that survives will 'restructure' and there will be far less jobs.  

Meanwhile top PL clubs will continue to pay average footballers 200/300 grand a week.  Barmy.
(11-15-2020, 12:00 AM)Hopalong Wrote: If it meant a change in the drinking culture of the country to the benefit of the nation's health and it's people then you couldn't argue with it but it's like an adult version of kids disappearing into their bedrooms with their playstations (or whatever, I'm out of touch lol).  

Many don't want to (or maybe can't afford to?) go out anymore and would rather stack up on cheap shite at the supermarket.  Covid is enabling this and it'll be difficult to get people back into the habit of going for a regular drink in the same way as it'll be difficult to get people back to football stadiums.  Difficult to see grounds being freely open until August and who knows what the state of the country will be then.  Virtually every company that survives will 'restructure' and there will be far less jobs.  

Meanwhile top PL clubs will continue to pay average footballers 200/300 grand a week.  Barmy.

You big bundle of fun, you.
(11-15-2020, 12:09 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 12:00 AM)Hopalong Wrote: If it meant a change in the drinking culture of the country to the benefit of the nation's health and it's people then you couldn't argue with it but it's like an adult version of kids disappearing into their bedrooms with their playstations (or whatever, I'm out of touch lol).  

You big bundle of fun, you.

Many on here have had the pleasure of drinking with Athers in a pub, I can confirm he is a big bundle of fun Big Grin
It's very sad, but oddly enough the reason is twofold. If people had used these establishments sufficiently prior to the COVID crises, moreover were the breweries not so greedy as to hoover off all of the cream whilst forcing hardship and misery onto grossly underqualified landlords and general managers (many of whom they are equally as culpable of slowly poisoning to death, like much of their clientele), they would have the domestic cash reserves to weather this. As a lot of successful independent landlords are doing (and as the local pub in the village my fairer-half hails from exhibits).

In these times, you have to stand-out. Ryanair do. Primark do. TUI do. Wheras Flybe don't, Debenhams don't, and Thomas Cook don't. Too many pubs don't, and again that's the fault of the greedy brewers. They will reap what they sow (although many of their directors will benefit from the land-grab sell-off via the backdoor, which also stinks).

Meanwhile, successive generations are slowly realising that a) it is relatively extortionate to go out and get pissed; and b) it isn't really good for you either. But again, an even bigger factor is that the traditional inn is no longer as relevant to the masses as it once was. Many of us no longer live in tiny houses whereby seeing friends in a pub was the only option, and others are waking up to the fact that it isn't as much fun as it used to be either.

But it is sad, nonetheless. Although one subsector I won't lament is the death of the Sizzler, the Two-For-One, the Hungry Horse, and many other franchises that shamelessly seek to normalise the pub environment to families (and in particular children). That is cynical, and it deserves to rot.