Alan Effing Irvine
(10-03-2020, 11:26 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It wasn’t an odd appointment at all. It was a logical one based on the club believing it’s own hype in terms of thinking the ‘Head Coaching system’ was bullet proof. The parameters set were for a respected experienced coach not a manager, who would work within our rigid structure of DoF, coaches and scouts. If you take that into account his appointment hit all the criteria asked. He was appointed to coach the team, have limited input into signings and limited coaching support of his choice.

Not bizarre, odd or strange appointment at all, in fact it was very a logical appointment sadly the system was only as good as those employed within it. A point lost on some at the time and even now it seems.

Yep, spot on. If he had the transfer window and players we delivered for Clarke in 2012 then i'm sure we'd be saying more positive things about Irvine. Our signings in Irvine's season were very poor and didn't help him. If we still had Ashworth here then it could have worked. He's nowhere near as bad as some suggest though. He was fighting an uphill battle from the off which is why it was not the right appointment.
It was the time when JP's decision making went badly awry. The malign influence of Dave McDonough, which finished Clarke and gave us Pepe Mel, should have warned him that a Director of Football had to be both competent and strong. Garlick couldn't fill Ashworth's shoes and Terry Burton was negligible by comparison.

It's ironic that Peace was eventually spooked into giving total control to Tony Pulis, having declined to let previous managers or candidates have much control over anything.
Re Irvine appointment

If my memory serves me well

We were expecting Tim Sherwood & co to turn up at the Hawthorns 

Then flabbergasted when it was announced AFI was the new boss

We were watching one of world cup games when at half time Gary Linekar said oh by the way WBA have just announced AFI as their new manager

We all thought he made a mistake & got the names wrong

JRP had learnt from Alistair Campbell on the best days to bury bad news 
(10-03-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 12:08 PM)dublinalbion Wrote: It was seven defeats in nine matches that ultimately did for him. The most baffling management appointment ever. Can't believe he actually turned over a Pochettino side at White Hart Lane and deservedly so.

We looked to appoint a coach not a manager it made perfect sense.

I take your point but considering he had been sacked twice in the Championship and was previously unproven in the Prem as a no. 1, it was strange to say the least.
(10-03-2020, 03:35 PM)dublinalbion Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 12:08 PM)dublinalbion Wrote: It was seven defeats in nine matches that ultimately did for him. The most baffling management appointment ever. Can't believe he actually turned over a Pochettino side at White Hart Lane and deservedly so.

We looked to appoint a coach not a manager it made perfect sense.

I take your point but considering he had been sacked twice in the Championship and was previously unproven in the Prem as a no. 1, it was strange to say the least.

Not if you consider the constraints the club put on the position.