Our Nicknames for Clubs
(10-03-2020, 01:24 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 07:17 PM)Atomic Wrote: Nevertheless lads over 130 years Vile have always been our rivals baring a spell from around 1988 which Wolves created.

Since when did we dance to their tune? They absolutely hate the fact that Albion and Villa are the big two West Mids rivals.

Their problem.

Albion, Vile and the Dings were playing one another in 1888, the inaugural football league season. I wasn't alive then to witness the levels of rivalry so can't really comment. I was alive in the 1960's though, growing up in Coseley where the Albion - Wolves rivalry was all-consuming. My dad often spoke of the rivalry from the 50's when the two teams were at their historic peaks. Villa barely registered until I started going to games regularly and moved to Brum for a while, so I grew to understand why they in turn were so, well, vile. The thing is, we have two main rivals. I think that's brilliant and maybe unique as there can't be many teams who can claim two genuinely historic rivalries going back to the beginning of organised football (maybe the Lancashire teams can). Debating who is our 'biggest' rival is fun but a bit futile, as it depends on individual fan's life experiences.

Spot on. 

Coseley legend Len Millard was my "cult hero" choice for Simon Wright's book. 

The evening of the day of his death I was in the White Horse in Sedgley where many mature Baggies were understandably mourning his passing. 

Coseley/Sedgley is Albion/Dings. If you know the area you know how ingrained it is (or was) 

On derby day it was very feisty, I remember around the Apple Tree and Roseville on one occasion in particular... Chaos. Police helicopter hovering above fights on the grass by the Birmingham New Road. 

TWTD!