Unadopted Roads
Evening clarts.

Has anyone had any experience of buying a property on an unadopted road?  We've had an offer accepted on a new build that is on an unadopted road. I've contacted the developer (small independent firm) to get in touch with the Local Authority to get them to have a look see so that they can take it on themselves.  The road must only be 25 to 30 metres in length, home to nine properties.

Ta in advance,

Mr Marley
Chances are FF has paced it and will know.
Some good info here.... 

Buying a house on an unadopted road
(09-23-2020, 08:21 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: Chances are FF has paced it and will know.

Is he the clart that used to walk 500 miles at the start of lock dow-un?
From experience, some roads can be unadopted for a long time by local authorities, as Bureaucracy and quibbles about who should fix/maintain utilities in that area can create certain issues - I've known them like this for two years or more. In one case, a road was not adopted, the developers were arguing with Virgin Media about filling in holes dug up to fix some cables. The road /pavement was disrupted for motnhs before they LA managed to bang heads together.
Ta Peachy & CWB.
Used to be my line of work adopting roads for a LA. Basically how quickly it happens boils down to how co-operative the developer has been with the LA from the beginning. All developers will have (or should have) a copy of the relevant LA's development guide, which amongst other things will spell out what is expected in terms of the carriageway and footway construction, street lighting requirements, drainage etc. There will also be guides with regards to laying services (gas, elec etc). Throughout the construction it is the responsibility of the developer to have the roads inspected/construction supervised by the LA and signed off. If all is well at the end the road will be adopted. If the developer does not co-operate from the start then problems can arise. After all, a developer is trying to build as many houses as it can as quickly as possible, sell them and move on having made a big fat profit. Road building eats into that profit, and believe me some developers (reputable ones at that) will pull all manner of stunts to shave a few quid off their costs. Bottom line is if its done right it will get adopted. If it aint it could take years. After all, why should a LA take on a badly built road that that they know will need repairing in short order, at the taxpayers expense?
(09-23-2020, 08:21 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: Chances are FF has paced it and will know.

Are you back on the sniff as some of your posts are a bit strange of late.