Gareth Barry
(08-27-2020, 12:01 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 11:52 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: An excellent pro, and gave us 2 years good service. Not sure about last year, mind.

I would very strongly argue that his first season was not good service at all.

50 games in his first two seasons. 

Taxi gate aside, I thought he did well. We weren't relegated purely because of Gareth Barry.
(08-27-2020, 12:05 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 12:01 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 11:52 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: An excellent pro, and gave us 2 years good service. Not sure about last year, mind.

I would very strongly argue that his first season was not good service at all.

50 games in his first two seasons. 

Taxi gate aside, I thought he did well. We weren't relegated purely because of Gareth Barry.

He started off OK, then his form dropped off a cliff, then he nicked a taxi, then he somehow started playing worse and then he was dropped and we started winning games.

He was not the sole reason we were relegated but his poor form that season compounded by him not being the leader we needed to replace Fletcher certainly compounded that. He was one of our worst players that season.
I have no grips with Barry did ok for us and showed others how to drive a taxi. Good luck in the rest of your career.
Now playing cricket for Temple Grafton - found his level.
(08-27-2020, 10:38 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: To play until 39 at a  very high level was some achievement. He got 3 extra years through looking after himself and good fortune/genetics and didn't have to end his days playing at the likes of Scunthorpe.

Sadly he didn't end his days actually playing for us. Being paid by us, yes. 6 appearances in total last season. I've said it before and you won't change my mind, he was a cheap and lazy signing by a manager who had already given up on us. If Pulis had signed a better Fletcher replacement, we might not have been relegated. Great player, great career, but did nothing for us.
Why am hearing all this in a Peter Kay voice?
(08-27-2020, 10:34 AM)Super_Slav Wrote: Announces retirement.

Wasted £1-2m on him last season.  Strange decision to keep him, finished before he signed for us.