Soccer Saturday
Always like to point out during these sort of discussions that if you're an Albion fan and you're saying racist stuff (even if it's just a joke - banter mate! lol) you can fuck right off. What would Laurie and Cyrille think?
(08-27-2020, 10:47 AM)MGalea Wrote: Always like to point out during these sort of discussions that if you're an Albion fan and you're saying racist stuff (even if it's just a joke - banter mate! lol) you can fuck right off. What would Laurie and Cyrille think?

I’m not sure anyone has said anything racist have they? I’ve missed it if they have.
(08-27-2020, 10:29 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 10:16 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 10:13 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:52 AM)HUGHIE REED31 Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:22 AM)Duffers Wrote: This. If you don’t want to be called a racist, don’t say racist things. It’s not difficult.

So you have never ever said anything that could be deemed to be racist?

Not on a television programme broadcasted to millions or on a social media platform where anyone can view, no.

Lol, it’s ok if you say it on the quiet then  Big Grin What an odd distinction to make!

No, that’s not the distinction. My point is that people who are in the public eye need to be aware of what they are saying on public media and sharing on social media as almost anything these days will cause a storm.

I genuinely believe that the vast majority of people are not bigoted, and yes I’ll be the first to admit to making the odd off-colour joke amongst friends (I wouldn’t be daft enough to broadcast it to the world though). You can usually tell when someone is messing about and when someone means it and it’s the latter that I’d pull people up on.

Personally I would say that there are two big issues here; firstly as discussed the rise of the alt-right around the world has emboldened people with genuinely nasty views to be more open about them. The second issue is that times change, and what is and isn’t acceptable to say is changing too. Comments that were perfectly innocuous 10, 20, 30 years ago are now unacceptable. I think people struggle with that, I think in many cases people aren’t aware that they can cause offence and you see people, especially from my generation and upwards, get very defensive when challenged. People don’t like being told that something they’ve done for years is now wrong.

There’s two sides - the side that trawl for anything to be offended by, and those who push back against too hard and deliberately go out to offend. They’re all idiots.

That's a fair assessment
I am nearly 60 and would like to think I am fairly level headed in most
things, but as I get older I do find myself more & more thinking the worlds
gone mad.
Now I do realise that certain things said in jest in the past are now no longer acceptable
but there is a fine line and it seems to me that we may just be pushing it too far over it the other way.
(08-27-2020, 10:49 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 10:47 AM)MGalea Wrote: Always like to point out during these sort of discussions that if you're an Albion fan and you're saying racist stuff (even if it's just a joke - banter mate! lol) you can fuck right off. What would Laurie and Cyrille think?

I’m not sure anyone has said anything racist have they? I’ve missed it if they have.

Nah, I think the conversation went broader than when it started.

Should be remembered that nobody at Sky has done anything too bad other than Tiss and his mental antics.
(08-27-2020, 10:55 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Nah, I think the conversation went broader than when it started.

Should be remembered that nobody at Sky has done anything too bad other than Tiss and his mental antics.

I think this is a good discussion ,as much about generational views as anything else as the 3 guys (and i'm using the word sacked) were all of a certain age
and let go I know as I get older I don't like change as much.
maybe that's the answer shoot all of us over 50??
Another key distinction is that they weren’t actually “sacked” as in booted out for doing anything wrong. Sky just decided against renewing their contracts.

Sounds like more of an editorial, wanting to go a new direction/revamp the show, decision than anything too sinister.
(08-27-2020, 11:06 AM)Duffers Wrote: Another key distinction is that they weren’t actually “sacked” as in booted out for doing anything wrong. Sky just decided against renewing their contracts.

Sounds like more of an editorial, wanting to go a new direction/revamp the show, decision than anything too sinister.

Perhaps they wanted people who actually addressed the subject matter at hand as opposed to making shit jokes and screaming. 

I'm not a viewer of Top Gear but that approach seems to have worked for them.

Sorry not necessarily here but have seen Albion fans spouting off elsewhere. Our club should be a beacon of not just "i'm not racist" but full on ANTI-racism and full on inclusion and equality across the board.
Scott Minto now part of the Sky Sports cull. Always found him an excellent presenter for Championship football.
(08-27-2020, 11:21 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Scott Minto now part of the Sky Sports cull. Always found him an excellent presenter for Championship football.

Sky Sports are haemorrhaging money and subscribers. Could just be that they’re cutting a few of the big earners they don’t need.