Dementia
Saw my mom on Monday at the care home she is in and we were outside, 2 metres apart and it’s the closest I’ve been since pre lock down when all I’ve been able to do is wave through a window or FaceTime.

Anyhow, for the first time in my life my mom didn’t recognise me when she saw me and then kept saying my brother’s name when the carer kept asking who I was and would say it’s not me when told who I was.

I knew this day would come,  but it’s still bloody sad that now my mom is almost mentally dead.
So sad that you are having to deal with this FF. My sister in law is dealing with the same thing and there will be some good moments with your mom going forward I promise. Music is a great help in this and certain visual stimuli (certain clothes that you will wear for some reason).

I wish you and your family all the best in dealing with this horrible disease.
I can fully relate to this I'm afraid.

Dementia is a wretched affliction.

Unfortunately the lockdown will have had a detrimental effect on many, from a dementia and broader mental health aspect. It can be a wicked world.

Every best wish to FF and his mom.
Very sorry to hear this FF.
Sorry to hear this , I'm going through exactly the same with my mum
it's really heartbreaking.
I have been allowed to see my mum just once since March
and she had't got a clue who I was.
They call it end of life care.
Sorry to hear. Must be awful.
I regularly visit a care home where my dad is. It locked down in early March. Seeing people standing outside looking through glass at their spouse's is quite simply something that should ever happen but that's where we're at.

The crucial thing is maintaining visits until indoor ones are allowed.

I'd say the current situation drains you in a way that is unique. It's fucking dreadful.
Dreadful to experience that. I really feel for you and your family
That's sad. Sorry to hear this I really am.

Best wishes to you and your mom, Mark.
Sorry to hear so many of us have this in the family. It's a proper bastard thing.

My mum is in early stages and still living at home with her partner but you can see it creeping on.