Anyone even back into the work office yet?
(08-03-2020, 11:57 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 11:52 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Once rent goes down to a manageable level and people tire of working and living for 24 hours a day crammed into their London one bedroom flat sharing a living room doubling as an office with their 'slightly annoying' partner, I foresee the process gradually reversing. Not to how it is was, but close to it.

If you're young and in an small flat in a city without an office or even a kitchen table I can understand why you might be desperate to get back to the office. On the other hand, if you're working from a spacious home office in the suburbs or countryside I wonder why you'd ever consider going back to the office full time ever again.
This. My missus has been homeworking for about 6 months now. Doesnt miss the daily back n forth to Fort Dunlop, and is actually more productive.  If i could bring my machine home from my workplace and run it in the back garden I would do so in a heartbeat !!

Which is my point. For some it's great. For others it's not. 

Of course, if you live in a cheaper city or a dormitory town, then using an extra room for a 'spacious home office' isn't a problem, but then office space around there is probably cheaper too, so the advantage to the employer is less substantial!

If I was living in a million pound plus  2/3 bedroom flat in London or LA, I might be a little put out having to 'invest' 300k to take up a quarter of my already small private real estate to use as an office without any recompense!  I suppose I could recharge the business, but then they might as well rent an office for all their workers as it would be cheaper!

If I was a young person just starting out, maybe with little money, maybe renting a small room in a flatshare, then what would I do? I would be priced out of even working in some jobs!

On another note, what's the betting salaries will be the same, but now we have to 'buy' and 'support' our own office space!

I'm guessing it will be expensive, city-centre offices staffed with majority clerical staff that will be relocated to the regions/outsourced/work from home. The rest will stay.
(08-03-2020, 12:20 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: On another note, what's the betting salaries will be the same, but now we have to 'buy' and 'support' our own office space!

Not breaking the bank but my employer has given everyone an allowance to set themselves up a home office with.
(08-03-2020, 12:29 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:20 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: On another note, what's the betting salaries will be the same, but now we have to 'buy' and 'support' our own office space!

Not breaking the bank but my employer has given everyone an allowance to set themselves up a home office with.

Does it cover the ongoing mortgage payments/rent equivalent  of an extra room or is it just the price of a desk and a PC?
(08-03-2020, 12:54 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:29 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Does it cover the ongoing mortgage payments/rent equivalent  of an extra room or is it just the price of a desk and a PC?

Desk and a PC... I don't have an extra room, I just use the dining room, are people really renting themselves extra space just because they can't go into the office?!
You can also claim certain outgoings against your SA tax return - though of course none of you will do that as I know you find the use of tax allowances immoral.
(08-03-2020, 01:15 PM)Protheroe Wrote: You can also claim certain outgoings against your SA tax return - though of course none of you will do that as I know you find the use of tax allowances immoral.

You would know that you can't claim the full equivalent price of a room in a house. It's meant to be nominal to cover incidentals like heating. The theory is you still get 'personal' use out of it. So in itself, it is not really allowable regardless of the 'morality' of it. If you're claiming the full actual cost, that would be tax fraud.

But, now you've brought it up, if your employer or even your own limited company paid a 'commercial rate' for the space in your home, would that be taxable as income? I'm guessing it would be. If so, it just gets worse...
I've been WFH since lockdown and all i know is that i cant wait to get back. Starting to feel like i'm on the periphery of society, or under house arrest and allowed out only for a couple of hours at the weekend. God knows what it will be like in the dull, cold depths of winter when even walking round the garden is out the question.
Got asked if I’d go to Sweden in a few weeks today, considering we’re all still wfh I told them where to go!
In the form of his life.
(08-03-2020, 01:30 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Got asked if I’d go to Sweden in a few weeks today, considering we’re all still wfh I told them where to go!

A family member has actually moved to Gothenburg to work during lockdown after being shafted by JLR.
(07-31-2020, 09:40 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 09:24 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Earliest will be October for us but more likely next year. Loved working in the garden today.

Lucky you. I finished at 4.30 after being stuck in the office upstairs... went outside where it had been sunny all day... fuggin clouded over as soon as I sat down. fUMIN
Enjoying WFH. An extra hour in bed in the morning for starters.

When WFH I commence work at the time I would normally leave for the office - shirking, idle ne'er do wells like you are why WFH will never become universal.