Peachy - re Brunty
(07-23-2020, 05:24 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I don't think the comparison with Fletcher is all that helpful. Very different players. Fletch was all about energy - strong running, good football brain, leading by example. Brunty has far more subtlety to his footballing ability, a sweet left foot. There's no way of knowing if he could have done more this season. Maybe Slav called it right, thought his legs had gone, maybe he just had better options.

As DK likes the comparison, I would say that our Fletcher replacement, Gareth Barry, has on balance been a bit of a letdown. He still has many fans on here, but he hasn't played enough to justify his wage. If Saint Tony could have been bothered to think harder and find a better replacement for Fletch, we might never have gone down in the first place. A personal view which will attract some controversy, I suspect.

No way. I honestly didn't know Barry was still an Albion player.
He was there last night
I'm in the "Brunty has been criminally underused this season" camp. As he showed last night, he passes for a purpose and not just to hang onto possession alone. Regarding a lack of pace, I don't remember him ever having any! Likewise tricks and fancy stuff, never had none! He simply puts the ball where it does the most damage, and quickly.
I wish him all the very best and will be shouting on Stoke next season should he sign. BTW, we want him back when he hangs up his boots.
(07-23-2020, 06:40 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 05:24 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I don't think the comparison with Fletcher is all that helpful. Very different players. Fletch was all about energy - strong running, good football brain, leading by example. Brunty has far more subtlety to his footballing ability, a sweet left foot. There's no way of knowing if he could have done more this season. Maybe Slav called it right, thought his legs had gone, maybe he just had better options.

As DK likes the comparison, I would say that our Fletcher replacement, Gareth Barry, has on balance been a bit of a letdown. He still has many fans on here, but he hasn't played enough to justify his wage. If Saint Tony could have been bothered to think harder and find a better replacement for Fletch, we might never have gone down in the first place. A personal view which will attract some controversy, I suspect.

No way. I honestly didn't know Barry was still an Albion player.

We extended his contract to carry on yet he never made a squad. I'm guessing he was training well and was very much an emergency, experienced contingency option.

Glad we didn't need him.

Nothing controversial about either of those two opinions for me Chesh... Barry had a handful of decent games for us, but nothing to justify the contract we gave him... and whilst it seemed sensible this summer giving him a new deal was a waste of yet more cash.

When Fletcher left, TTITC was adamant it would open an opportunity for someone younger and more energetic to be brought in... a month or so later Gareth Barry rocks up. Absolutely ridiculous and that was probably the moment TP lost it.