Peachy - re Brunty
(07-23-2020, 11:53 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Peachy, on a long gone thread about Nathan Jones you asked what my thoughts are on the Brunty to Stoke deal. I thought I'd start a new thread to stay on topic.***

To be honest mate, your opinion (and those of other Albion fans) would be more valuable than mine. I'm in favour of any quality player joining us, but obviously the quality of the player now is what's important, and on that score I'm a complete blank.

It's clear he's an Albion legend, and O'Neill knows him as well as anyone, so on the surface, that should be good enough for me. But the ghost of Fletcher and his rapidly declining legs still looms large in our thinking. 

He has obvious leadership qualities, but so did Fletch, and all he ever did was pass to the opposition then run like he was wading through treacle to prevent them getting through. What would we be getting do you think?

*** Oooh, that was very .com, wasn't it.
I think he's been underused (for whatever reason) by us this year.
Certainly got something to give in the champ, and I don't think we all realise how much we'll miss that left foot. 16th in the all time PL assists chart for a team that don't score many and were managed by Pulis tells you something!

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/...p_code=EPL
(07-23-2020, 12:57 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:56 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: So he's a player we'd mostly bring on when we're losing to put pressure on with his set-pieces?

No, I don't think he'd play that often Big Grin

Admin!!!
Fletcher looked shot before he'd left us. Brunt still looks capable of playing a part, particularly with set pieces and seeing out matches.

Plus, he's been there done that when it comes to promotion, so he will be a fantastic asset to have around the squad.
(07-23-2020, 02:26 PM)Squid Wrote: Fletcher looked shot before he'd left us. Brunt still looks capable of playing a part, particularly with set pieces and seeing out matches.

Plus, he's been there done that when it comes to promotion, so he will be a fantastic asset to have around the squad.

Winning promotion from the Championship 3x with one club must be a record.

Probably aren't many who've won it 3x as it is... I know Oli Norwood did it 3 years in a row with 3 clubs mind...
(07-23-2020, 02:26 PM)Squid Wrote: Fletcher looked shot before he'd left us. Brunt still looks capable of playing a part, particularly with set pieces and seeing out matches.

O'Neill seems to have us scoring a lot more from set pieces than any manager we've had since Pulis. From that point of view Brunt sounds ideal.
Good set piece delivery, Ajayi should have scored from one last night. He will keep the ball well in midfield, we could arguably of used him more this season to see out games.

If you've got a lot of youngsters in and around the team, he will be great to have around. Look after him.
(07-23-2020, 12:23 PM)Lightnin Wrote: He's certainly not quick anymore but the good thing about Brunty is that he's versatile and has a superb cross on him (not every time). Play him in central midfield or at left back if you really needed and he'll spray the ball all over the park. You'll always get 100% effort from him, he won't hide away and he's a very likeable fella. He does tend to make the odd clanger now and then and I do wonder whether he's got the "legs" any longer for the modern day game, lets not mess about, he's 36 in December but he's certainly got some quality and experience. I actually think he'll make a great coach one day, I thought the same with Darren Fletcher too.

If it is Stoke that he's joining, I wish him the best with you. On a free, he's a great player to have in the ranks.

Well first and foremost you're going to get one of the most honest professionals you'll ever see. If O'Neil likes set pieces (you'll know more than me) then his left foot is as good as anything I've ever seen from dead balls and he'll be a big asset in that respect.

I guess it all depends on where O'Neil sees him playing. I'm not sure he's up to bombing up and down the left. In fact I know he's not!

I think he'd be perfect at the quarterback role in front of the defence as long as he has a young 'un next to him. His passing is sublime.

It is hard to be objective as to me he is as close to a living legend as you can get. 

If he does join your lot I wish you and him every success. I'll be wanting you to get promoted.
(07-23-2020, 04:02 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:23 PM)Lightnin Wrote: He's certainly not quick anymore but the good thing about Brunty is that he's versatile and has a superb cross on him (not every time). Play him in central midfield or at left back if you really needed and he'll spray the ball all over the park. You'll always get 100% effort from him, he won't hide away and he's a very likeable fella. He does tend to make the odd clanger now and then and I do wonder whether he's got the "legs" any longer for the modern day game, lets not mess about, he's 36 in December but he's certainly got some quality and experience. I actually think he'll make a great coach one day, I thought the same with Darren Fletcher too.

If it is Stoke that he's joining, I wish him the best with you. On a free, he's a great player to have in the ranks.

Well first and foremost you're going to get one of the most honest professionals you'll ever see. If O'Neil likes set pieces (you'll know more than me) then his left foot is as good as anything I've ever seen from dead balls and he'll be a big asset in that respect.

I guess it all depends on where O'Neil sees him playing. I'm not sure he's up to bombing up and down the left. In fact I know he's not!

I think he'd be perfect at the quarterback role in front of the defence as long as he has a young 'un next to him. His passing is sublime.

It is hard to be objective as to me he is as close to a living legend as you can get. 

If he does join your lot I wish you and him every success. I'll be wanting you to get promoted.

Haha. Come on Peachy, you'd got one hand behind your back with fingers crossed there, hadn't you?  Big Grin
(07-23-2020, 04:08 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 04:02 PM)Peachy Wrote:

Haha. Come on Peachy, you'd got one hand behind your back with fingers crossed there, hadn't you?  Big Grin

Big Grin 

No honestly. After your Brentford result and Bruntys signing you will be top of my list......

As long as you beat those twats in claret and blue after they drop!
I don't think the comparison with Fletcher is all that helpful. Very different players. Fletch was all about energy - strong running, good football brain, leading by example. Brunty has far more subtlety to his footballing ability, a sweet left foot. There's no way of knowing if he could have done more this season. Maybe Slav called it right, thought his legs had gone, maybe he just had better options.

As DK likes the comparison, I would say that our Fletcher replacement, Gareth Barry, has on balance been a bit of a letdown. He still has many fans on here, but he hasn't played enough to justify his wage. If Saint Tony could have been bothered to think harder and find a better replacement for Fletch, we might never have gone down in the first place. A personal view which will attract some controversy, I suspect.