The Perce
(07-23-2020, 01:41 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:16 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Last season has no relevance.

No one can say for certain how Covid 19 will affect the transfer window, but it will.

If i was guessing there will be far less money spent this summer and transfer fees will be reduced.  There is going to be huge financial uncertainty coupled with a shorter transfer window, may mean less activity. Clubs nay be reluctant to sell, knowing that if they hold onto players higher fees may be more forthcoming in summer 2021.
I think there will be a lot of free transfers in the lower leagues and a lot more squads beefed up with youngsters and consequently a lot of players who either need to lower their expectations or will find they are club-less. I'm not sure it will affect the top echelons so much and Chelsea's spending seems to suggest it is business as normal. I think we'll be in between.
This
(07-23-2020, 01:29 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 01:06 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: There will be bargains in the Championship and lower leagues and also from overseas leagues.  Now more than ever before we will be reliant on our talent spotting.

People think too much about transfer fees when talking about “spend”.  Wages are crucial with 3-4 year contracts needing to be offered.  The more players we can buy on frees or for less than £5m transfer fee the better.  There will be one or two of those domestically (Robinson at LB from Wigan for example), maybe Clyne from Liverpool, maybe Joe Hart, but I think it’s from Portugal, France and Germany where we are likely to get real value.

I think we need to start looking further down the food chain. 

The PL mostly recruits from the top divisions in France, Spain, Holland, Belgium and Italy which come with high premiums. These divisions tend to recruit from Scandinavia, the Czech, Slovak and former Yugo- divisions as well as keeping an eye on what's happening in Turkey and Greece. I remember an article with Nicky Hammond saying that most players who were successful from abroad in the PL started out in the French second tier and Bundesliga-B teams, yet we're still not exploiting those resources... Brentford are all over this and this is why they seem to have a non-stop production line of quality. 

I really hope we've been investing heavily in our scouting operation across these countries... we need to be at the front of the line to pick up players before they make their move to one of the European big leagues and paying far more attention to the wealth of British talent currently in L1 and the Champ.

The Champ should be something we know all about, having spent the last two years there. Would hope we have noted players having good games against us / showing potential. 
French second Division, Bundesliga 2 have lots of talent, and, as I said, Portugal, for a small country, always produces good players, likewise Croatia, but most teams are short of money. Argentina and Uruguay also produce good players, many have Spanish / Italian grandparents, so work permits may not be a problem, as passports can be obtained.
What we don't need is some £25m striker who's no better than a Robinson or a Tulloch. I'd rather keep the spending low, take in a few solid performers if we can get them and if it doesn't work out come back again
We've always done better looking for bargains. I hope that's what we go for. Plenty of good players in Europwan league and at Champ clubs desperate for cash.

Hope we carry on with young and developing with a few experienced heads in the squad but not key players on fortunes.
Meanwhile, some cornet has posted this on Seal Talk

Statement signings: Neres - £35 million our right wing is our weakest position so our marquee signing should address that. He is young fast and skillful and whilst he is currently injured he likely may have already recovered since the Netherlands didn't resume their season. An article from January claimed he was close to a return so I think he is likely as close to fully fit as possible. 

Josh King: Valued at 15 million and Bournemouth's best player in my opinion. He would be the perfect signing for us. He is fast skillful and experienced so he should be able to hit the ground running and bring a bit more edge to our attack. He could play upfront or out wide allowing him to cover injuries and allow us to play wesley up front when he recovers. He is also an experienced second striker which may be able to get the best out of Wesley with runs in behind and nice interplay.

Denis Zakaria: 40 million Again out with a knee injury so his value may be down. He plays for borussia mönchengladbach who qualified for Europe so he may be hard to pry away from them. He is the ideal midfielder for us. He is 6'3 fast strong and skillful. We have really missed a big physical presence in the middle of the park and it has hindered us when defending and attacking set pieces as well. He has got 2 goals and 2 assists as a defensive midfielder which is pretty decent. He can also play as a centre back in a pinch. A midfield 3 of Luiz, Him and Mcginn/Grealish would be really good. Together I imagine they would cost a combined 100 million and they would put our squad at least top 10 if we keep grealish.

Squad signings: Eberichi Eze: 10 million (I expect he would cost 15 to 20) he is a creative midfielder who could be a backup to grealish or play out wide. He grabs lots of goals and assists and he would be amazing to bring off the bench if we are chasing the game or he could be a competent starter. 

Mounir Chouiar: 10 million again and one of the hottest prospects in Europe. Scored 8 goals in 28 appearances this season including 4 goals in 20 in ligue 1. Dijon are in a bit of trouble financially so we could get him for cheap. He can play out wide and develop into a great player.

Nico Schulz: On loan from dortmund with an obligation to buy for 20 the season after. Got a current valuation of 11 million after playing only 11 games for dortmund this season. A fast and tall left back who we could play in games where we need to be more stout defensively and would probably start over targett for us.

Chris Smalling: Free his contract expires on the 2bd of August. He is a big strong experienced cb which we have missed this year. He is only 30 as well so we could give him a 3 or 4 year contract without worrying too much about him being too old. He has performed well in the Serie A this season and is a good enough cb to either be starting for us or be our 2nd back up. He would also provide a good locker room presence as he has finished 2nd with United.

Karlan Grant: 10 million. Practically kept Huddersfield up single handedly this season. Scored 5 goals for their anemic attack in the premier league in only 11 games and is only 22. He can play upfront or out wide having played and performed across the front 3 this season. He is fast (which we need) he can learn under josh king and he can be rotated in and play all the cup matches.

Total Spend: 140 million (just in case teams drive a hard bargain)
Seal talk has their very own Ziz.
Given the current plight of football in the EFL cash will be king next season, and that should lower the
cost of the better lower league players as clubs will want both the fee and reduce wage bills. Not quite
so sure how this might play out across Europe, but Slav will have an eye to the continent  

Add to that a couple of quality EPL loan signings and it could be quite exciting.
Did you know that 'Heroes & Villains' was the second choice name for that website because 'The Vagina Monologues' had been taken
(07-23-2020, 03:11 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Did you know that 'Heroes & Villains' was the second choice name for that website because 'The Vagina Monologues' had been taken
Did someone on here take deludedfisheatingsealcunts then?
Have to say £20m feels very conservative.

Rondon - 17m
Rodriguez - 10m
Dawson - 6m
Foster - 1m
Nyom - 2m
Rogers - 4m
Ferguson - 7m? Ish....
——
Total 47m

Pereira 9m
Zohore 5m
Austin 4m
Sawyers 3m
Furlong 2m
Ajayi 1.5m
Grosicki 1m
——-
Total - 26m

Realise there will have been fees for Krov, Robinson, Grady, and I realise that transfers are paid in instalments, but we had a heavy negative net spend last year also.

We’re almost certainly not going to start spending hundreds of millions like the fishy fuckers, but I think we’d be right to feel disappointed if we don’t take this summer seriously.