Albion 2019/20 to 2018/19
OK, we might succeed or we might fail, but just thought how do you all see our squad this year as opposed to last regardless of what happens at this season hits its climax.
In a nutshell I think we are more solid defensively, which includes a combative midfield. The flair of Pereira, Diangana has created huge excitement. However, up front we just haven't really had the poacher like Gayle. Austin and HRK have done OK. 
It's a better team to watch, that knows its identity. However, last year we could just pull a game out of the bag and blow teams away. That, Swansea apart, has been why we have drawn so many.
In all though on the field and off, it's so much better when I think of the kamikaze Jones experiment, the cluelessness of Moore post Christmas, and the way we left an inexperienced caretaker guide us into the playoffs. Much more drama last year and the Harvey Barnes loss really threw us.
This is regardless of the final outcome.
We have blown more teams away than just Swansea, Bristol City home and away being two examples.

More than that, we have dispatched teams without even breaking a sweat. QPR away, Preston at home being just two examples.

We also have a manager who can fix problems in match, hence we've drawn/won games we would have lost last season.
The main thing is we look more in control of games this season, I can see a gameplan. Last season there were many games we'd be all over the shop but our strikerforce was so good we'd get battered for a half and somehow be 2-0 up at half time. If we could put last seasons strikers into this seasons squad we'd have been celebrating promotion weeks ago. For me there was no excuse last season to not go up with a strikeforce of Rodriguez and Gayle. The Ipswich home game was one of the most inept performances from an Albion side I've seen. Jones was basically the man in charge, as seen against Brighton in the cup where he did the extra time team talk while Moore stood there not talking to any of the players.

This season we bought in players unproven, a few Championship standard players with potential but have never been in a top Championship side and a few foreign players which could have come here and not adapted. Bilic has moulded them into a good competitive side.
(07-15-2020, 02:56 PM)Squid Wrote: We have blown more teams away than just Swansea, Bristol City home and away being two examples.

More than that, we have dispatched teams without even breaking a sweat. QPR away, Preston at home being just two examples.

We also have a manager who can fix problems in match, hence we've drawn/won games we would have lost last season.
The likes of QPR away fall into the same category as Derby home and Millwall away. We needed a 2nd goal in the last 15 to secure the victory- it's not the stuff of dreams, as it's edgy until you get the cushion.
For instance look at Blackburn Saturday. If we had got that second instead of hitting the post then we'd be home and hosed now and that would be added to the list I've just mentioned. Yes Bristol C and Sheff W, they were games when we motored on and won by 3.
Going into a game in the last 15 with a one goal cushion or just getting 1 when you are completely dominant isn't ideal.
I agree that Bilic in the dugout has made a huge difference tactically.
(07-15-2020, 03:21 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 02:56 PM)Squid Wrote: We have blown more teams away than just Swansea, Bristol City home and away being two examples.

The likes of QPR away fall into the same category as Derby home and Millwall away. We needed a 2nd goal in the last 15 to secure the victory- it's not the stuff of dreams, as it's edgy until you get the cushion.
For instance look at Blackburn Saturday. If we had got that second instead of hitting the post then we'd be home and hosed now and that would be added to the list I've just mentioned. Yes Bristol C and Sheff W, they were games when we motored on and won by 3.
Going into a game in the last 15 with a one goal cushion or just getting 1 when you are completely dominant isn't ideal.
I agree that Bilic in the dugout has made a huge difference tactically.

Expecting us to win every match by a two goal margin is a bit much. In the games I mentioned, we never looked in danger of losing.