The Return of Brexit
(11-24-2020, 09:25 AM)strawman Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I saw this yesterday and thought that it is premature to talk about situations where there isn't a deal when it is still being negotiated. The report that you have linked strawman is a strange one because it doesn't actually report in it what the headline says. It talks about the alleged comment from an unnamed german manager and a previous statement about production plans but it doesn't actually report where Nissan have dismissed the comment.

I really hope that it doesn't happen.

"We have spoken to Nissan tonight and they have dismissed the reports."

But who knows who is telling the truth

Where does it say that SM - maybe I can't get the full article or something (or maybe I've got remoaner blindness Big Grin )
The Nissan stuff is from the gossip section of Automobilwoche. While Automobilwoche is a reliable German automotive magazine, it's still the gossip section. Also, this decision would be made in Japan or in France so I don't think the Sunderland Echo would have good sources to be in a position to dismiss the rumour.

I'd not put much stock into it, personally.
(11-24-2020, 09:43 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:25 AM)strawman Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I saw this yesterday and thought that it is premature to talk about situations where there isn't a deal when it is still being negotiated. The report that you have linked strawman is a strange one because it doesn't actually report in it what the headline says. It talks about the alleged comment from an unnamed german manager and a previous statement about production plans but it doesn't actually report where Nissan have dismissed the comment.

I really hope that it doesn't happen.

"We have spoken to Nissan tonight and they have dismissed the reports."

But who knows who is telling the truth

Where does it say that SM - maybe I can't get the full article or something (or maybe I've got remoaner blindness Big Grin )

Big Grin Big Grin

3rd para B1 

"Reports on social media have quoted a German automotive magazine which has claimed an un-named manager at the firm has said the factory is facing the axe.

The reports say the source’s comments translate as ‘Nissan plans to close its Sunderland plant....A decision has been made and it’s not favourable for the UK’.

We have spoken to Nissan tonight and they have dismissed the reports."
That's mad SM - my 3rd para reads "The firm has previously warned that the future of its Sunderland factory could be in doubt in the event of a no-deal Bexit."

However, I have no doubt it says that somewhere and it's meaningless as we might still get a deal. Hopefully it's, as BB says, just gossip.
(11-24-2020, 10:31 AM)baggy1 Wrote: That's mad SM - my 3rd para reads "The firm has previously warned that the future of its Sunderland factory could be in doubt in the event of a no-deal Bexit."

However, I have no doubt it says that somewhere and it's meaningless as we might still get a deal. Hopefully it's, as BB says, just gossip.

Weird - your 3rd para is the 4th para below some sponsored link photos in my browser - Ah well

Like you say lets hope we get a deal
Datsun outrage!
While discussing car factories it needs remembering that those lines have a limited timespan that accompanies each model of car. The Honda (Swindon) line was always going to expire in a few years anyway, and the race for electric cars will no doubt see a total switch in methods. Unfortunately, China is once again at the forefront. There are massive opportunities currently with all aspects of the green movement. Sadly, we appear to have neither the investment nor the leadership to take a stand (IMO, of course).
(11-28-2020, 11:40 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: While discussing car factories it needs remembering that those lines have a limited timespan that accompanies each model of car. The Honda (Swindon) line was always going to expire in a few years anyway, and the race for electric cars will no doubt see a total switch in methods.  Unfortunately, China is once again at the forefront. There are massive opportunities currently with all aspects of the green movement. Sadly, we appear to have neither the investment nor the leadership to take a stand (IMO, of course).

We get the politicians nobody deserves, Tom.

So we alternate between one lot who systematically and shamelessly run services and infrastructure into the ground, safe in the knowledge that when the pendulum finally swings they'll be able to spend their time in opposition criticising the incomers for their profligacy in rectifying the damage. 

This is the way.
Ossian Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:While discussing car factories it needs remembering that those lines have a limited timespan that accompanies each model of car. The Honda (Swindon) line was always going to expire in a few years anyway, and the race for electric cars will no doubt see a total switch in methods.  Unfortunately, China is once again at the forefront. There are massive opportunities currently with all aspects of the green movement. Sadly, we appear to have neither the investment nor the leadership to take a stand (IMO, of course).

So we alternate between one lot who systematically and shamelessly run services and infrastructure into the ground, safe in the knowledge that when the pendulum finally swings they'll be able to spend their time in opposition criticising the incomers for their profligacy in rectifying the damage. 

This is the way.
That's certainly true, although now Rishi has found Labour's magic money tree I'm not sure what they will be able to complain about. When I mentioned leadership I also included our so called Captains of Industry. They only appear to excel at buying cut price businesses and stripping the assets from the pension fund. The thought of actual investment would never occur, nor anything as philanthropic as the Cadburys or Lever families. Rant over!
(11-28-2020, 12:05 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 11:40 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: While discussing car factories it needs remembering that those lines have a limited timespan that accompanies each model of car. The Honda (Swindon) line was always going to expire in a few years anyway, and the race for electric cars will no doubt see a total switch in methods.  Unfortunately, China is once again at the forefront. There are massive opportunities currently with all aspects of the green movement. Sadly, we appear to have neither the investment nor the leadership to take a stand (IMO, of course).

This is the way.

[Image: the-mandalorian-sixth-scale-figure_star-wars_silo.png]