Racism at work
I work at a small company of around 30 people.There are a few with racist views, but the worst is the Manager. A horrible little,bully of a man,regularly spouting racist and homophobic views at the top of his voice. The worst of this is the Owner thinks he’s wonderful and has recently made him a director!! There has been numerous complaints about him over the years and nothing has ever been said to him.He has worked there for about 25 years rising from storeman to director. He has been worse than ever, lately, with the BLM  protests,often using the ‘N’ word. This morning he was delighting in the  news of the Burnley Plane banner. No one likes him except for the owner and the useless woman in HR,anyone who compláins is usually driven out or bullied more.This is not some little company but one that sells its product all over the world, turning over millions. I want to leave but at the moment there is nothing out there for me and at my age (55) I was hoping to see it out until I’m  about 62/3 before semi -retirement.Not a day goes by when I don’t want to beat the living daylights out of him. The job itself is not a problem,just this poisonous man. I’m actually baffled how he can be in such a position and be protected by an owner who doesn’t seem to care about the rest of his workforce (he inherited the company,which could be the reason he’s not bothered as long as he gets his money). I don’t know what the answer is,really,it’s frustrating and stressful.
(06-23-2020, 09:24 PM)HugeHons Wrote: I work at a small company of around 30 people.There are a few with racist views, but the worst is the Manager. A horrible little,bully of a man,regularly spouting racist and homophobic views at the top of his voice. The worst of this is the Owner thinks he’s wonderful and has recently made him a director!! There has been numerous complaints about him over the years and nothing has ever been said to him.He has worked there for about 25 years rising from storeman to director. He has been worse than ever, lately, with the BLM  protests,often using the ‘N’ word. This morning he was delighting in the  news of the Burnley Plane banner. No one likes him except for the owner and the useless woman in HR,anyone who compláins is usually driven out or bullied more.This is not some little company but one that sells its product all over the world, turning over millions. I want to leave but at the moment there is nothing out there for me and at my age (55) I was hoping to see it out until I’m  about 62/3 before semi -retirement.Not a day goes by when I don’t want to beat the living daylights out of him. The job itself is not a problem,just this poisonous man. I’m actually baffled how he can be in such a position and be protected by an owner who doesn’t seem to care about the rest of his workforce (he inherited the company,which could be the reason he’s not bothered as long as he gets his money). I don’t know what the answer is,really,it’s frustrating and stressful.

Why don’t you and others set a trap for him. Get him to spout his vileness and record it. Then anonymously release it on social media.
He’ll be finished!
Why has no-one forced out taken the Company to a tribunal? Maybe get the staff together to approach the owner with a group letter - get plenty of evidence first of course. Good luck with sorting this ignorant man out.
In the past a guy threatened the owner with a tribunal, the owner just said “You won’t beat me”. The boss has witnessed him spouting off and just ignores him. The problem is they spend time together out of work, the boss thinks he’s his friend but he’s not really, he is using him for his own gains. There was an incident just after Brexit when one of our suppliers’ employee came to the factory (a pleasant Romanian guy) the racist asked him when he was “gonna fuck off back home?”. The lad complained to his own boss who in turn made our manager apologise. Of course it was the usual “I was only joking”. He also spouts homophobia and when I told him my son was gay, he back tracked and got embarrassed. He still spouts homophobia but never in front of me.
Secretly film him and get it up on Twitter or something. If you'd rather not post it yourself, I'm sure one of your fellow baggies on here will.
it's bad that you are not comfortable at work but rest assured, your manager is clearly a very unhappy individual. Just take comfort in that. He'll get his just desserts, or he may already be living through them. He's a twat, don't let him get to you.
(06-23-2020, 09:24 PM)HugeHons Wrote: I work at a small company of around 30 people.There are a few with racist views, but the worst is the Manager. A horrible little,bully of a man,regularly spouting racist and homophobic views at the top of his voice. The worst of this is the Owner thinks he’s wonderful and has recently made him a director!! There has been numerous complaints about him over the years and nothing has ever been said to him.He has worked there for about 25 years rising from storeman to director. He has been worse than ever, lately, with the BLM  protests,often using the ‘N’ word. This morning he was delighting in the  news of the Burnley Plane banner. No one likes him except for the owner and the useless woman in HR,anyone who compláins is usually driven out or bullied more.This is not some little company but one that sells its product all over the world, turning over millions. I want to leave but at the moment there is nothing out there for me and at my age (55) I was hoping to see it out until I’m  about 62/3 before semi -retirement.Not a day goes by when I don’t want to beat the living daylights out of him. The job itself is not a problem,just this poisonous man. I’m actually baffled how he can be in such a position and be protected by an owner who doesn’t seem to care about the rest of his workforce (he inherited the company,which could be the reason he’s not bothered as long as he gets his money). I don’t know what the answer is,really,it’s frustrating and stressful.

That's odd.

I remember it being like that twenty odd years ago and it being uncomfortable but now?

No acceptable. Film it or tape it or do whatever you want to do but I wouldn't personally feel comfortable working for a company like that at all. Haven't you said anything to him?
I feel for you, HH. I'm all for reasoned debate and challenge, but this is bullying and racism.

I'm not a lawyer, but document everything. I think you would have a case for constructive dismal if you couldn't take it any longer.

This is only my opinion and is not advice. Good luck to you, nobody deserves this treatment
(06-24-2020, 01:07 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I feel for you, HH.  I'm all for reasoned debate and challenge, but this is bullying and racism.

I'm not a lawyer, but document everything. I think you would have a case for constructive dismal if you couldn't take it any longer.

This is only my opinion and is not advice. Good luck to you, nobody deserves this treatment

I’m quite ‘lucky’ as I work in a separate unit with one another person,about 40 yards away from the main workshop ,so I only briefly have to  see him a few times a day.The main workshop employees have him non-stop all day. I have only had a couple of run-ins with him,he doesn’t bully me. He bullies the one guy all the time,he complained to HR who in turn told him it was banter and to get on with it.I thin’ our biggest problem is the Owner not sorting it.It seems like he would rather lose his entire workforce than sort out this one person.Madness.There is even more to this saga than you would believe which I’ll tell you later.
What an unpleasant person.......as somebody has said start logging every incident; date, time and exactly what happened.