Pubs in the age of social distancing
Very difficult to see how pubs can work to any degree of profitability. Ok, if you are out on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you can normally pick your spot in the pub. Friday and Saturday though, it's shoulder to shoulder in many. The toilets are too small, the corridors the same. Imagine matchdays, or England games?
(06-16-2020, 05:40 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Very difficult to see how pubs can work to any degree of profitability. Ok, if you are out on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you can normally pick your spot in the pub. Friday and Saturday though, it's shoulder to shoulder in many. The toilets are too small, the corridors the same. Imagine matchdays, or England games?

This exactly many of the small non brewery backed pubs and those owned by basically manament companies were struggling to break even before this I fear many will either not reopen or close very quickly after coued with what maybe 10's or 100's of thousands of potential job losses, people may not be able to afford to go anyway.
Can't say I am in any rush!
(06-16-2020, 05:44 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 05:40 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Very difficult to see how pubs can work to any degree of profitability. Ok, if you are out on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you can normally pick your spot in the pub. Friday and Saturday though, it's shoulder to shoulder in many. The toilets are too small, the corridors the same. Imagine matchdays, or England games?

This exactly many of the small non brewery backed pubs and those owned by basically manament companies were struggling to break even before this I fear many will either not reopen or close very quickly after coued with what maybe 10's or 100's of thousands of potential job losses, people may not be able to afford to go anyway.
Agreed re management companies. Two pubs local to me are a moneypit for the poor licensee. They change hands every five minutes as the owners, Scottish and Newcastle (I believe) charge a huge rent. Yet both of these pubs were historically owned by Ansells, owned and paid for a hundred years ago and could therefore easily have withstood the lockdown. 
 In fact most of the pubs I use have tiny toilets and a cramped bar area. I'm a regular pub goer and would love to get back to "normal" but I just see too many problems.