Drains and property thoughts
(06-06-2020, 08:45 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Generally a tree should not be planted within 10 metres of a house because of affecting the foundations. A Mate who's a tree surgeon says it also depends on tree height. If tree grows more than 20 feet you have a potential problem. i.e. 10 metres x 20 ft. More than 10 metres and you're OK so I would guess it depends on the height of your silver birch. IThey don't tend to grow too high but …

Disagree there, fella. Silver Birch grow incredibly tall and often fall over! From my experience, they're always the first trees down after a storm. Have to say though, I don't like cutting healthy trees down.
No, you're right - I meant domestically you don't tend to see them very high in gardens. But yep, they can grow much more than twenty feet.
(06-06-2020, 11:03 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 08:45 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Generally a tree should not be planted within 10 metres of a house because of affecting the foundations. A Mate who's a tree surgeon says it also depends on tree height. If tree grows more than 20 feet you have a potential problem. i.e. 10 metres x 20 ft. More than 10 metres and you're OK so I would guess it depends on the height of your silver birch. IThey don't tend to grow too high but …

Disagree there, fella. Silver Birch grow incredibly tall and often fall over! From my experience, they're always the first trees down after a storm. Have to say though, I don't like cutting healthy trees down.

They're what the tree experts call a "pioneer species". Fast growing, some of the first to become established in new woodland and not very long-lived. We have a big one in front of our house, and we've been told to expect it to come down within the next 10 - 20 years, whereas the cherry and oak will stand for many decades longer.
The in-laws have quite a few in the back garden and have had to spend thousands on having them down as they did off. But loads of logs for our fire so can’t complain!
(06-06-2020, 01:00 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 11:03 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:

They're what the tree experts call a "pioneer species". Fast growing, some of the first to become established in new woodland and not very long-lived. We have a big one in front of our house, and we've been told to expect it to come down within the next 10 - 20 years, whereas the cherry and oak will stand for many decades longer.
You can often (but not always!), spot a potential faller. Silver Birch start to appear sparse, the odd branches dying, thin leaf cover, irregular shaping. as you say, they are not built for longevity. Beautiful while they last, mind. Wink