MPs returning to the commons
(06-04-2020, 09:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I think it is lead by example  and rightly so .how can they say schools go back when they are in their back gardens fiddling their expences .....I'm not cynical or anything.

Because Parliament doesn't fulfill its role as a daycare for under 11s and the job can be done at home over the internet, as it has been done very effectively for the last few weeks.

The fact that it takes so fucking long to vote now that they can only vote on 4 things a day and only 50 people are even allowed in the chamber at a time means they're doing less work. That's not to mention some MPs can't even attend as they're shielding for various reasons, like mine.
I’m not sure what people deluded enough to vote for this populist shower of shite, Vote Leave.com UKIP-lite party expected.

Big Grin Angel Heart
(06-04-2020, 10:33 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: Getting them back was not needed but understandable. 

What I don't understand in this day and age why they still use such an archaic way of voting.

Surely can be done electronically?

Jacob Rees Mogg had quickly gone from a curiosity to an absolute prick since he's been part of the government.

What, you mean like a modern democracy in a modern parliament, in a modernised building, using technology to save about three quarters of an hour every time there's a vote?

You'd think so wouldn't you. Except, like me, you probably wouldn't.
(06-04-2020, 09:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I think it is lead by example  and rightly so .how can they say schools go back when they are in their back gardens fiddling their expences .....I'm not cynical or anything.

Well I am cynical. It's an affront to democracy IMO. How many MPs won't be able to vote now because they have to stay at home? It will be interesting to see what gets legislated for in this period.
(06-05-2020, 08:58 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

Well I am cynical. It's an affront to democracy IMO. How many MPs won't be able to vote now because they have to stay at home? It will be interesting to see what gets legislated for in this period.

Then I suggest you read the details on proxy voting before jumping to conclusions.

In any event you may recall the Tories won a stonking majority just a few short months ago so legislative proposals from the government are pretty much nodded through anyway.
Proxy voting only applies when it comes to childcare or childbirth, MPs like George Freeman or Jamie Stone do not apply despite having the most valid reasons for shielding that you could imagine. My MP is shielding and can't vote, therefore my constituency has no representation in Parliament. This is not fair or democratic.

The House of Lords have electronic voting for Christ's sales.
(06-05-2020, 09:42 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

Then I suggest you read the details on proxy voting before jumping to conclusions.

In any event you may recall the Tories won a stonking majority just a few short months ago so legislative proposals from the government are pretty much nodded through anyway.

Even more reason to not need them to attend in person then. The only reason is to prop up the weak mop haired buffoon and protect him from that bully with all the nasty facts.
(06-05-2020, 02:14 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Proxy voting only applies when it comes to childcare or childbirth, MPs like George Freeman or Jamie Stone do not apply despite having the most valid reasons for shielding that you could imagine. My MP is shielding and can't vote, therefore my constituency has no representation in Parliament. This is not fair or democratic.

Then your MP will pair, as they usually do when they're unable to (or almost always in Tom Watson's case) can't be arsed vote. No need to be outraged.

Affront to democracy these are the same wankers who tried to stop brexit you mean .
(06-05-2020, 04:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 02:14 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Proxy voting only applies when it comes to childcare or childbirth, MPs like George Freeman or Jamie Stone do not apply despite having the most valid reasons for shielding that you could imagine. My MP is shielding and can't vote, therefore my constituency has no representation in Parliament. This is not fair or democratic.

Then your MP will pair, as they usually do when they're unable to (or almost always in Tom Watson's case) can't be arsed vote. No need to be outraged.

Yeah, not like that mechanism was abused or anything recently was it?

He's also been shut off from the virtual mechanisms such as debates.

According to George Freeman MP, the government paired two nay votes on the remote voting amendment the other day, so I can definitely trust pairing not being abused can't I?