“Dangerous” things you had/did as kids
(05-28-2020, 08:17 AM)4-hero Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 08:31 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 04:02 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 01:36 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 1. We used to climb up onto the roofs above the Churchill precinct in Dudley and walk along to look over the High Street.
2. Go down the Wrenna
3. Play chicken on any main road we felt like (pre ABS brakes come to think of it)
4. Ride our racers down some fucking steep banks
5. Chuck cobbles at whoever was last up the hill to see if they could catch them or even better head them
6. Shout 'yee-ha' at the Cowboy in Wolvo (anybody remember him) and leg it as he'd chase us
7. Go swimming in Netherton Resa

Same neck of the woods as me. Rope swings over big drops over the wrenna. Going into the caves, we once potholed right down to the canal that ran well underground below.
Bangor guns with ball bearings fired out. I took a lamp post out one night and got nicked.
Hiding in the Castle woods by Dudley Zoo and shooting at the minature train with a pellet gun. Got nicked for that as well! Quite right.
Chucking fireworks at people. We always had at least one kid in hospital around bonfire night!
Rolling mates down Limes Rd hill in a 45gallon oildrum, it hurtled right over the main Priory Rd at the bottom. (I genuinely shudder at that one, now).
Tightrope walking across the B'ham New Rd on the top of the bridge by the Black Country Museum.
Floating in huge earthmover tyres in the coal slack lakes off what is now Spills Meadow, it used to be an opencast mine.
I'm absolutely shocked and horrified at the thought of it now. We were also horrible little fuckers, I'm embarrassed about that too.  I really am. If my kids had ever grown up the same, it would have been challenging.

Sledmere Big Grin

Was the ‘Billy’s’ around when you lived there?

Not that i knew by that name 4H - we were good kids from up the top end, not those ruffians down the bottom of the Buffrey  Angel
(05-28-2020, 08:17 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 08:13 AM)Ossian Wrote: Tying bangers to rockets around bonfire night.

The rockets back then were nothing like the fireworks you can buy today: cheap, flimsy and just about enough mixture to get out of the bottle. The weight of the banger meant any trajectory was possible - including straight at people close by and minding their own business. That no-one was maimed was purely down to luck.

Get on the phone to Elon Musk.

You might be able to help him.

If he's looking for an unbalanced and out of control projectile which might take out the nearest city centre then he should definitely add me to the team.
Thanks for all contributions to this one, some hilariously dangerous exploits,funny how in different areas or even towns we all did similar mad things!
It’s been like a window on another world we’ll (probably for the best)never see again. 

Try tellin t’kids today, they won’t believe ya Big Grin
(05-27-2020, 08:31 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 04:02 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 01:36 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 1. We used to climb up onto the roofs above the Churchill precinct in Dudley and walk along to look over the High Street.
2. Go down the Wrenna
3. Play chicken on any main road we felt like (pre ABS brakes come to think of it)
4. Ride our racers down some fucking steep banks
5. Chuck cobbles at whoever was last up the hill to see if they could catch them or even better head them
6. Shout 'yee-ha' at the Cowboy in Wolvo (anybody remember him) and leg it as he'd chase us
7. Go swimming in Netherton Resa

Same neck of the woods as me. Rope swings over big drops over the wrenna. Going into the caves, we once potholed right down to the canal that ran well underground below.
Bangor guns with ball bearings fired out. I took a lamp post out one night and got nicked.
Hiding in the Castle woods by Dudley Zoo and shooting at the minature train with a pellet gun. Got nicked for that as well! Quite right.
Chucking fireworks at people. We always had at least one kid in hospital around bonfire night!
Rolling mates down Limes Rd hill in a 45gallon oildrum, it hurtled right over the main Priory Rd at the bottom. (I genuinely shudder at that one, now).
Tightrope walking across the B'ham New Rd on the top of the bridge by the Black Country Museum.
Floating in huge earthmover tyres in the coal slack lakes off what is now Spills Meadow, it used to be an opencast mine.
I'm absolutely shocked and horrified at the thought of it now. We were also horrible little fuckers, I'm embarrassed about that too.  I really am. If my kids had ever grown up the same, it would have been challenging.

Going down the Wrenna was the dangerous part, forget about rope swings and the caves, we were from Sledmere Big Grin
Ar. Strangers weren't welcome at all. In fact, no one was, we didn't even get on with each other! It was always a worry when you spotted another gang of kids in the distance.
Played tennis with the balls full of petrol and on fire.
In the form of his life.
Swimming in the Sanna (Banana pool).
Jumping off the electric sub stations next the Lion Farm high rise onto a pile of nearly new mattresses Big Grin