UK Covid death toll
Another huge positive is the number of positive tests versus tests being done has dropped considerably these past couple of weeks. Hopefully a sign that vaccination may well be reducing transmission although appreciate too early to be certain about this.
Agree Rich, I've seen a fair bit of negative comment (we'll be in another lockdown in winter, i'm not taking the jab because it's not tested enough, etc) but I really am feeling positive about the way this is moving forward. Purely speculation but I think we won't see lockdowns again in the same form again - maybe local ones, but we will need to get as many vaccinated now with the vulnerable given annual boosters with the flu jab.
(03-02-2021, 02:36 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Agree Rich, I've seen a fair bit of negative comment (we'll be in another lockdown in winter, i'm not taking the jab because it's not tested enough, etc) but I really am feeling positive about the way this is moving forward. Purely speculation but I think we won't see lockdowns again in the same form again - maybe local ones, but we will need to get as many vaccinated now with the vulnerable given annual boosters with the flu jab.

Much of it fuelled by news. I was really pissed off watching SKY news last night with the way they are reporting news if the Brazil variant. Interviewing people on the street saying how scared they were, how it was going to set everything back. It's awful journalism.

We aren't out the woods by any means. The numbers on ventilators actually went up yesterday and are clearly still too high. However most the data, during what is a pretty relaxed lockdown and with variants amongst us, is moving in the right direction at pace. It's absolutely fine to be positive without being made to feel like you are a covid denier.
There will be overlaps between those who have been vaccinated, some who have previously had Covid and recovered, others who have previously had Covid and went undetected because they were asymptomatic (or put it down to 'just a cold'), and obviously a number, impossible to estimate, who have both previously been infected and have now received their first jab. I know of a fair few who now fall into that latter group, and it can only be growing in size.

I don't know if that adds up to what's known as 'herd immunity' yet but, regardless of that, when you aggregate up all of the above it must be taking us in the right direction. Unless I've overlooked something.
(03-02-2021, 03:44 PM)Ossian Wrote: There will be overlaps between those who have been vaccinated, some who have previously had Covid and recovered, others who have previously had Covid and went undetected because they were asymptomatic (or put it down to 'just a cold'), and obviously a number, impossible to estimate, who have both previously been infected and have now received their first jab. I know of a fair few who now fall into that latter group, and it can only be growing in size.

I don't know if that adds up to what's known as 'herd immunity' yet but, regardless of that, when you aggregate up all of the above it must be taking us in the right direction. Unless I've overlooked something.

Logically that makes sense Oss. Doesn't get mentioned anywhere though.
(03-02-2021, 03:44 PM)Ossian Wrote: There will be overlaps between those who have been vaccinated, some who have previously had Covid and recovered, others who have previously had Covid and went undetected because they were asymptomatic (or put it down to 'just a cold'), and obviously a number, impossible to estimate, who have both previously been infected and have now received their first jab. I know of a fair few who now fall into that latter group, and it can only be growing in size.

That seems about it Oss, I know people have different views but I'd be keen on vaccinating as many as possible whilst we can in a belt and braces approach. If people think we will ever get rid of this they are mad but if we can get the deaths down to the same amount as flu then that will be a result.

We're still at the start of learning about this as well so much more will come out over time.
You would hope that we will continue to learn a lot about how we treat it as well, better treatment reducing the time spent in hospital and mortality rates. This will reduce the fear and anxiety that it's created.
(03-02-2021, 04:19 PM)richbaggie Wrote: You would hope that we will continue to learn a lot about how we treat it as well, better treatment reducing the time spent in hospital and mortality rates. This will reduce the fear and anxiety that it's created.

Problem is Rich, with Brexit done and Trump gone if they don't create the fear and anxiety then there's nothing else to report on apart from VAR.
(03-02-2021, 04:23 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:19 PM)richbaggie Wrote: You would hope that we will continue to learn a lot about how we treat it as well, better treatment reducing the time spent in hospital and mortality rates. This will reduce the fear and anxiety that it's created.

Problem is Rich, with Brexit done and Trump gone if they don't create the fear and anxiety then there's nothing else to report on apart from VAR.
Haha! 

To continue the attempt at positivity,  today's dashboard shows 

A 24.7% fall in weekly positives, compared with 16% last Tuesday. Continues to accelerate. PCR positivity rate of 3.4% from 186,000 tests, compared to 4.9% from 178,000 a week ago. The number of patients in hospital has also fallen to it's lowest since October - 12,748
(01-15-2021, 08:51 AM)baggy1 Wrote: 16th Sept - 929
23rd Sept - 1,439 (1.55 x previous week)
30th Sept - 2,036 (1.41 x pw)
7th Oct - 3,066 (1.51 x pw)
14th Oct - 4,313 (1.41 x pw)
21st Oct - 6,271 (1.45 x pw)
28th Oct - 9,070 (1.45 x pw)
4th Nov - 11,037 (1.22 x pw)
11th Nov - 12,730 (1.15 x pw)
18th Nov - 14,490 (1.14 x pw)
25th Nov - 14,240 (0.98 x pw)
2nd Dec - 13,212 (0.93 x pw)
9th Dec -  13,467 (1.02 x pw)
16th Dec - 15,465 (1.15 x pw)
23rd Dec - 17,834 (1.15 x pw)
30th Dec - 22,713 (1.27 x pw)
6th Jan - 27,727 (1.22 x pw)
13th Jan - 32,689 (1.18 x pw)
20th Jan - 33,886 (1.04 x pw)
27th Jan - 30,846 (0.91 x pw)
3rd Feb - 26,374 (0.86 x pw)
10th Feb - 20,926 (0.79 x pw)
17th Feb - 16,458 (0.79 x pw)
24th Feb - 13,007 (0.79 x pw)
3rd Mar - 9,594 (0.74 x pw)

Some more good news on the hospitalisation figures from yesterday, a drop of 25% from the previous weeks figures which is a faster rate than it has been in any point of this wave. Also down below 10k in England for the 1st time since 1st November.

Also 20.7M now have had the 1st dose of the vaccine administered and just short of 900k having had the 2nd dose.

With the better weather and the relaxation coming next week we need to keep an eye on the figures but positive news so far.