Football officially ended
WBA calm about another potential season in the Championship...

https://t.co/F5pDJQgsqM
(04-29-2020, 07:16 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:42 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:28 PM)Dumbo Wrote: France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.

If they were to do that here -

1. WBA 50pts
2. Leeds 47pts
3 Sheff Wed 39pts
4. Fulham 38pts
5. Preston 38pts
6. Brentford 37pts

And crucially;

18. Aston Villa (18 points)
19. Watford (13 points)
20. Norwich City (12 points)

Although you just know it would be two up, two down and the jammyarrogantdeludedfisheatingsealcunts will survive by the scales of their teeth.

I wouldn’t mind Vile staying up. Love a derby day. The 2011/12 season with all 4 of us in the PL was great. We were top of that mini league that season despite defeats at Villa and Wolves.

Should be done on average points until the end of play, much safer legally*. There is a bigger argument that sides will have spent fortunes in January for it all to count for nothing. The argument of "we might have pulled it out of the bag before the end of the season" has no factual basis and is pure "whatabouttery".

*obviously I have fugg all idea if this is true or not but am sticking with it.
It seems simple to me.  Cancel next season altogether and push this season back to March April next year. 

This 'ere virus is going to be with us for a good while so why not come out now and say next season is cancelled. We then resume this season next March/April by which time testing and information on this virus will be much better.

We then conclude everything as normal. 

I just can't see how you can favour next seasons unplayed season over one that is 80% complete.
To lose a whole season’s income would most likely send a lot of football clubs to the wall peachy as the players are still entitled to their contractual wages.
(04-29-2020, 10:58 AM)Peachy Wrote: It seems simple to me.  Cancel next season altogether and push this season back to March April next year. 

This 'ere virus is going to be with us for a good while so why not come out now and say next season is cancelled. We then resume this season next March/April by which time testing and information on this virus will be much better.

We then conclude everything as normal. 

I just can't see how you can favour next seasons unplayed season over one that is 80% complete.

I said this a while ago Smile
If it is voided we should still have our points difference to start the next season
The more I think about it, the more any other alternative other than completing the season seems impossible.

The PL - and the knock on impact of being promoted/relegated from it - is the most financially lucrative competition in sport, and it has the widest reach, highest audience figures and highest level of sponsorship of any sporting competition so whereas the likes of France, Holland and Scotland can complete their seasons using any manner of permutations, none of these are comparable to the PL as ultimately, who cares about who gets relegated from the SPL outside of a few thousand folks along the M8.

Promotion to the PL is worth over £250m in winnings, TV rights and subsequent parachute payments - relegation from the PL is a minimum £100m loss or revenue, even if you're immediately promoted back. This is not a decision that can be made using an algorithm.

The PL is also extremely congested around the Champs League positions - there's another £50m just for qualifying, on top of the subsequent TV money and merchandising - the likes of Leicester and Sheff United will want this resolved favourably.

As has been said, UEFA will want a Champs league next season so how do you decide who participates? It seems unfair to let the top 4 from last season compete again, but if you can decide the top 4 / 5 places based on current standings, why not the winner and bottom 3? Similarly with parachute payments, if no team is relegated, do we get the same amount as we received this season? I'm not sure other clubs in the Championship would be overly pleased with our financial advantage vs. them after this pandemic, but why should we see another reduction in our income - after all we've been denied probable promotion and then had our odds of returning cut again.

Outside of this, clubs like Leicester and probably ourselves and Leeds will have purchase clauses to lower division clubs that state they are due additional transfer fees should we win promotion - believe there are payments to Rotherham and QPR as part of the Ajayi and Furlong deals should we win promotion. Players will similarly have promotion bonuses - all of these issues will come to the forefront should the season be voided especially with so many clubs likely to be desperate for any money they can get hold of.

For me, it has to be easier to put a mass continuation of contracts for players due to expire on 30th June and loan extensions in place to align to when it is safe to play and complete the season than it will be to handle the knock on impact of voiding or concluding the season through arithmetic.
Seems there are those looking at this from a different angle Big Grin

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mir...8919739762
(04-28-2020, 03:07 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:02 PM)Albionbaggie2019 Wrote: If England follows suit when does it start up again

Or what happens regarding this season.

How can a season that hasn’t even started yet come before a season that is 80% completed.

+1
(04-29-2020, 07:16 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:42 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:28 PM)Dumbo Wrote: France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.

If they were to do that here -

1. WBA 50pts
2. Leeds 47pts
3 Sheff Wed 39pts
4. Fulham 38pts
5. Preston 38pts
6. Brentford 37pts

And crucially;

18. Aston Villa (18 points)
19. Watford (13 points)
20. Norwich City (12 points)

Although you just know it would be two up, two down and the jammyarrogantdeludedfisheatingsealcunts will survive by the scales of their teeth.

I wouldn’t mind Vile staying up. Love a derby day. The 2011/12 season with all 4 of us in the PL was great. We were top of that mini league that season despite defeats at Villa and Wolves.

We did the double over the dings and drew/beat the vile in 2011/2012. You on the beers??