And if we don’t go up scenario
(04-24-2024, 11:59 PM)sickParrot Wrote: If we are in the same league next season, Carlos could be tempted by a prem team.

This is the worst case scenario yes. Let's hope he gets assurances he'll be financially backed (as best as possible) in the summer if this is the outcome.
I doubt many Premier league clubs would be interested unless he won promotion. After Southampton's experience with Nathan Jones, Chelsea with Lampard I suspect most would look to the mainland European leagues.
(04-24-2024, 07:19 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 07:16 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 07:13 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 06:27 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 05:16 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Very good season. New owners,playoffs (we will be in them) and a 33 percent chance of promotion!

I can see why you never made the finance professional World Cup competition. Big Grin

That’s cause we don’t have to play all 3 teams in the play offs! So a 1 in 3 chance! Or summat

There’s 4 teams and one go up.  That’s 1 in 4, a 25% probability of being promoted, with all other things being equal.

We don’t need to worry about one of the teams because we won’t play them. We will be up against a semi-final opponent and (hopefully) a final. So we are one of 3. So a 1 in 3 chance!

The number of games we play / teams we have to face is irrelevant.  There’s 4 teams in a play-off and 1 team get promoted.  1 in 4 chance of being promoted.
I told you I’ll be back
There is no way in the world that Carlos or the players will take comfort in having overachieved if we miss out on the play-offs. They will be devastated and rightly so after being 5th for most of the season.
(04-25-2024, 06:38 AM)Stillclem4england Wrote: There is no way in the world that Carlos or the players will take comfort in having overachieved if we miss out on the play-offs. They will be devastated and rightly so after being 5th for most of the season.
I do agree with this. If, and it's an unlikely if, IMO, we finish 7th, then that will be devastating for all involved and serious questions will need to be asked.

If, however, we make the play offs and fail, then there will be no shame in that whatsoever. It will, hopefully, add to the positive impetus around the club and give us something to build on next season.
Yes we will lose players, but we will also bring players in. Players that are hungry to play for a big club with a top manager and exciting new owners. Just because they may be earning less, does not mean they will care less or try less. We should have learned by now that wages are not always reflective of quality, or endeavour.
Where has all of this talk of us not getting the the POs come from? One win from two games and we're there, arguably two draws would do it.
(04-25-2024, 08:11 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Where has all of this talk of us not getting the the POs come from? One win from two games and we're there, arguably two draws would do it.

Semper Te Fallant and no m o m e n t u m = a distinct belief that we're gonna fuck this right up after being 5th for 5 months... 1 win in 6 doesn't help either.
(04-25-2024, 08:12 AM)NewWanker Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 08:11 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Where has all of this talk of us not getting the the POs come from? One win from two games and we're there, arguably two draws would do it.

Semper Te Fallant and no m o m e n t u m = a distinct belief that we're gonna fuck this right up after being 5th for 5 months... 1 win in 6 doesn't help either.

One win in six with three tough away games and a winnable home game ruined by a red card, I'd argue the only really disappointing performance and result of the six was the Watford game. We'll be fine. Play like we did last Saturday and SW will have to be as good as they've been all season to beat us, likewise Preston who I think have now all but given up on their season.
(04-25-2024, 08:14 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 08:12 AM)NewWanker Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 08:11 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Where has all of this talk of us not getting the the POs come from? One win from two games and we're there, arguably two draws would do it.

One win in six with three tough away games and a winnable home game ruined by a red card, I'd argue the only really disappointing performance and result of the six was the Watford game. We'll be fine. Play like we did last Saturday and SW will have to be as good as they've been all season to beat us, likewise Preston who I think have now all but given up on their season.

We are still 33/1 on to make the play-offs.

I think us and Norwich have 2 similar games, with both of us facing a relegation threatened team away and a mid table nothing to play for except pride team home.

Hull have Ipswich at home and a relegation threatened team Plymouth away, arguably harder fixtures than ours. They have 3 points to make up on that plus a worse goal difference. It's a big ask.

Of course if it all goes wrong on Saturday, with a loss for us and win for them, it'll feel different going into the last day, but again it all has to go wrong that day too.

On top of this Norwich have to overhaul us too. In all it's a very strong position we are in.

Anyone other than Albion fans would practically bet their house on us making the play-offs, but guess until it's mathematically certain then it's bound to leave us a little uncomfortable.
I fully expect Leeds to win at QPR on Friday night which will put them 4 ahead of Ipswich who will have 2 games in hand. That really makes Hulls task down there very difficult. Ipswich are a very good home team at the best of times but they will really need a win. A point at worst.

I don't see Hull winning down there.

Not to mention that Swansea despite being safe have won their last 3 games - 3-0,1-0,4-0. Norwich won't have it easy....