New Road
The root systems of trees hold more than 60 (sixty!) times the water of grass and other sparse vegetation. Any time you cross the Clees just look at the vegetation - open-grazed down to the bedrock. Same story from where the Severn rises in Ceredigion and for most of its course.

If it rains and it does, a lot, it's in the watercourses almost as soon as it hits the ground.
This is out of the question, thankfully, as the pitch area is too small. Also used by both Worcester football teams as their home ground - Worcester raiders and Worcester city. They clash tonight in a league match. Over a week ago over 3000 watched Worcester city in the first leg of the fa vase . They lost on pens after second leg. Promoted out of the Hellenic premier this season they are making their way back up the ladder
(04-16-2024, 02:04 PM)Idiodyssey Wrote: This is out of the question, thankfully, as the pitch area is too small. Also used by both Worcester football teams as their home ground - Worcester raiders and Worcester city. They clash tonight in a league match. Over a week ago over 3000 watched Worcester city in the first leg of the fa vase . They lost on pens after second leg. Promoted out of the Hellenic premier this season they are making their way back up the ladder

Reckon the cricket club would have more joy with the site at Perdiswell than the football club?
great cricket ground though, view across (the lake) to the cathedral has to be the best in English cricket.  in the city centre, trains nearby and pubs all around.

i love a day at New Rd, would i feel the same about a new ground out of town, dunno  Sad
Well there’s a members online forum tonight so be interesting on what’s said. If forced to move then maybe somewhere in south Worcestershire with melverns as backdrop would be preferable but I have no idea and yes needs to be accessible too - which compared to New Road might be a major issue - perhaps somewhere not too far from Norton train station but who knows as it’s so early days and I think much of the land near the Norton station is planned for housing. Plus it must be possible although not probable to address flooding with barriers and drainage. As someone observed earlier, the flooding is more a consequence of the Teme flooding then the Severn.
It will be an incredible shame if WCCC leave New Road, but entirely understandable given the frequency of the flooding.

I remember a great photo on the front cover of The Times a few years ago. New Road, in bright sunshine, Cathedral in the background... and GnT being waiter/ress served to folk lounging in a hot tub type thing.
(04-16-2024, 02:59 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: It will be an incredible shame if WCCC leave New Road, but entirely understandable given the frequency of the flooding.

I remember a great photo on the front cover of The Times a few years ago. New Road, in bright sunshine, Cathedral in the background... and GnT being waiter/ress served to folk lounging in a hot tub type thing.

They haven't been able to get insurance on the ground for decades. What could you do with the land though? It must be pretty worthless with the flooding issues.
(04-16-2024, 03:04 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: They haven't been able to get insurance on the ground for decades. What could you do with the land though? It must be pretty worthless with the flooding issues.

Other than an urban wetland reserve - incorporating the adjacent meadows, the school fields, and the two rivers - it's hard to think of anything viable.
Stilts. Buildings on stilts!
(04-16-2024, 02:20 PM)Jamin03 why change it? Wrote: great cricket ground though, view across (the lake) to the cathedral has to be the best in English cricket.  in the city centre, trains nearby and pubs all around.

i love a day at New Rd, would i feel the same about a new ground out of town, dunno  Sad

My thoughts too. Plus the memories, me dad, me grandad, Sundays in the John Player league, Basil d'Olivera, Tom Graveney or maybe later, Glenn Turner, and so on. An underage pint, a walk over the bridge, some great cricket in front of the perfect backdrop. It was a mini holiday for us Black Country wallahs.
Ossian's posts nail it. This damage has been coming for a while.