The death of the Conservative Party
(01-17-2024, 09:13 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 05:56 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 12:41 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 09:18 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Is it only me who thinks they are working towards a full return of Cameron to the top?

If you were disturbed by the possibility of a leadership election featuring - just to name a few - Braverman, Badenoch (without Strathspey), Mad Penny Mordaunt and lord knows who else fancying their chances, I could see how Cameron might suddenly seem like not such a bad idea. 

Actually, I can't, but I'm thankfully not the target audience.

I think that is unlikely, disliked by the pro-Euro wing for the referendum, seen as pro-Euro by Brexiteers, then of course there are his financial dealings of which there is probably more to be revealed.

Mordaunt, Shapps, Hunt and Baker are likely to lose their seats so they are out of the running.  Hunt seems unlikely to run if the rumours are to believed, off to the House of Lords! Badendoch I note worked for Coutts Bank. Braverman
is not probably not savvy enough, I will pass on her intelligence, although she has never impressed me her academic CV is good.

That leaves, well nobody!!! A lot of course depends on who holds their sets, anybody fancy a few quid on Gove?

As for the LibDems, have a few quid on Layla Moran

Very engaging politician, Layla Moran, and that's a word I wouldn't use about many of them.

Might be just a bit too quirky for mainstream tastes though; which shouldn't really be a barrier, but with our disgusting print media might turn out to be.
Her private life would be a feeding frenzy for the media, her Christian Palestinian background ought to be an advantage, but will probably have the extremists on both sides baffled.
(01-17-2024, 02:57 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 09:13 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 05:56 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 12:41 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 09:18 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Is it only me who thinks they are working towards a full return of Cameron to the top?

If you were disturbed by the possibility of a leadership election featuring - just to name a few - Braverman, Badenoch (without Strathspey), Mad Penny Mordaunt and lord knows who else fancying their chances, I could see how Cameron might suddenly seem like not such a bad idea. 

Actually, I can't, but I'm thankfully not the target audience.

I think that is unlikely, disliked by the pro-Euro wing for the referendum, seen as pro-Euro by Brexiteers, then of course there are his financial dealings of which there is probably more to be revealed.

Mordaunt, Shapps, Hunt and Baker are likely to lose their seats so they are out of the running.  Hunt seems unlikely to run if the rumours are to believed, off to the House of Lords! Badendoch I note worked for Coutts Bank. Braverman
is not probably not savvy enough, I will pass on her intelligence, although she has never impressed me her academic CV is good.

That leaves, well nobody!!! A lot of course depends on who holds their sets, anybody fancy a few quid on Gove?

As for the LibDems, have a few quid on Layla Moran

Very engaging politician, Layla Moran, and that's a word I wouldn't use about many of them.

Might be just a bit too quirky for mainstream tastes though; which shouldn't really be a barrier, but with our disgusting print media might turn out to be.
Her private life would be a feeding frenzy for the media, her Christian Palestinian background ought to be an advantage, but will probably have the extremists on both sides baffled.

She was blackmailed into being outed as bisexual/pansexual by the Daily Mail a couple of years ago.

Anyway, she won't be the next leader. Daisy Cooper has that role nailed on.
Well it won't be very big field, will it?
I don't think it will be the wipeout a lot of people are expecting.

If Murdoch/News International comes out in favour of Sunak, then it may be a lot closer than people think. Especially as a lot of people see Starmer as a not very good leader of the opposition and a "red Tory".
(01-17-2024, 06:08 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: I don't think it will be the wipeout a lot of people are expecting.

If Murdoch/News International comes out in favour of Sunak, then it may be a lot closer than people think. Especially as a lot of people see Starmer as a not very good leader of the opposition and a "red Tory".

Honestly.

I'm not even sure Labour will get a majority, I can still see a hung parliament and Tories finding enough to cling to power.

Politics is failing in this country, badly, I look across all the parties and honestly, there are very few decent politicians left anywhere now, add in the reality-TV-addled brains that vote based on media headlines and personalities that have few actual independent critical thoughts, and general malaise that I think will lead to the lowest voter turnout of any general election, and it's looking like it may all be a bit of a mess.
Labour will win the election with a majority but not in the hundreds as some current polls suggest.

Voting Tory seems to be like childbirth for many

(01-17-2024, 06:08 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: I don't think it will be the wipeout a lot of people are expecting.

Nah. The only people still digesting that shite are the ones who are already stupid enough to vote Tory anyway
Someone could have been killed
(01-17-2024, 06:14 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

Honestly.

I'm not even sure Labour will get a majority, I can still see a hung parliament and Tories finding enough to cling to power.

Politics is failing in this country, badly, I look across all the parties and honestly, there are very few decent politicians left anywhere now, add in the reality-TV-addled brains that vote based on media headlines and personalities that have few actual independent critical thoughts, and general malaise that I think will lead to the lowest voter turnout of any general election, and it's looking like it may all be a bit of a mess.

I sincerely hope Labour don't get a majority, because that is the best way to force through the electoral and constitutional reforms needed, but I can't see anything past a comfortable majority for them at worst, if things don't narrow significantly the 400 mark might be very easy for them to hit.

(01-17-2024, 04:28 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Well it won't be very big field, will it?

It doesn't need to be?
Teresa Coffey…

Re: Rwanda, she was "astonished" Labour "can't even get the name of the country right," when Yvette Cooper made reference to Kigali.
Talk about underskilled workers taking up taxpayers money. The complete moron.
Someone could have been killed
I am now beyond astounded at the effort and Parliamentary time the Tories are putting into this. For what end?