Greetings from Paris
(09-13-2023, 07:38 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Lots of shit gets thrown at Paris, I've never been personally so couldn't comment (other than a trip to Disneyland when I was a very wee boy). Kind of makes me want to go and see if it really is as bad as people say. Surely with all major cities there is going to be plenty of options for good grub and a drink and a few nice old things to look at. Same as the people who take great pride in saying how shit London is (it isn't), if you can't enjoy yourself in a big city it's on you.

I don't quite agree with this... 

I get over stimulated in big cities generally. Actually I get over stimulated in any busy places. So as much as I try and mask these things when I do city breaks after 2 days I am ready to escape into nowhere, with much less around me.
(09-13-2023, 07:45 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 07:38 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Lots of shit gets thrown at Paris, I've never been personally so couldn't comment (other than a trip to Disneyland when I was a very wee boy). Kind of makes me want to go and see if it really is as bad as people say. Surely with all major cities there is going to be plenty of options for good grub and a drink and a few nice old things to look at. Same as the people who take great pride in saying how shit London is (it isn't), if you can't enjoy yourself in a big city it's on you.

I don't quite agree with this... 

I get over stimulated in big cities generally. Actually I get over stimulated in any busy places. So as much as I try and mask these things when I do city breaks after 2 days I am ready to escape into nowhere, with much less around me.

Poorly worded by me. From your example I'm assuming for the couple of days you'd be there you'd find something to do that would entertain you before needing some downtime?
(09-12-2023, 04:10 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: I dispute that.

Paris is shit but it's better than Brussels.

Crikey, I agree with BB.

Brussels has no redeeming features whatsoever.
Paris is dirty, but so is London. Loads to enjoy there, and loads to avoid like most big cities. I used to go 3/4 times a year with work, I think it’s better on expenses than on your own coin.
In the form of his life.
I don't like the bugger cities, but it's got nothing to do with actually having a good time. I've had good times in some dodgy places.
I don't like New York, Amsterdam, or Naples. Am meh about London. Love Newcastle on Tyne and Barcelona.

A good time is not linked to a place being shit
The problem with globally famous and massive cities like New York, London, Paris, etc is that unless you know the city or know someone who does it's hard to work out what to do or where to go, so people just naturally flock to the well known touristy areas, which will be dirty, expensive, crowded, etc.

If I stepped off the train at Euston for the very first time I would have absolutely no idea where to go or what to do.
Haven't been to Paris for a few years - I used to go in for work so never had time for being a tourist - airport, office, back to Blighty.

When I had a day to kill, I used it to look at the city. I thought it was splendid. Signs in English, an' all on the metro. Parlez as you trouver.
I was in Berlin recently, that's a nice city, though the people are also somewhat rude.

I'd agree with the lesser known cities being more worthy of a visit. Düsseldorf is great and I'd rather go to Alicante than Barcelona.

If you are looking for a very clean city to visit, you can't go wrong with Stockholm.
(09-13-2023, 08:29 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

Crikey, I agree with BB.

The Royal Military Museum is good though (albeit a little dilapidated).
(09-13-2023, 08:29 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

Crikey, I agree with BB.

Fantastic beer