Luton - Ratings and Thoughts
First 15 we were really poor. From then onwards it was one way traffic and we looked every inch a team challenging at the right end of league. We played with composure, patience and authority. We stayed calm and trusted our patterns of play, especially down our right hand side with Furlong, Phillips, Wallace and Molumby second half. Credit to the players who really dug in and asserted their dominance over a decent Luton side. 

Ratings:

Palmer - 6 - Thought it was shocking goalkeeping for their first, not help by Okay shitting out of a challenge, though. Also some near misses with the ball at his feet. 

Furlong - 8 - Really is playing well right now. He's a natural athlete and he has great technique in lots of areas of areas of his game. If he could improve that final ball he would superb. 
O'Shea - 7 - 6 first half, 8 second. First half he really struggled with Adebayo, and got wrong side a few times. Second half, he must have left with a head ache the amount of headers he won. 
Pieters - 7 - Dealt with their size and power well, very competent in all areas of the game. Got beat aerially a couple of times but didn't cost us. 
Townsend - 8 - Good goal, and an all round decent display. Seems to have lost some zip in his passing, which always stood out before, but is really solid defensively and he's definitely improving now.l thankfully. 

Okay - 5 -  Not really at it today, passing was off and didn't dominate the midfield like he has been. Still worked hard though and was useful when shouting the game out. 
Molumby - 9 - MOTM, superb yet again. That RCM role really suits him. He supports the wide players really well. As mentioned on another thread, it's almost Jordan Henderson-esque.

Phillips - 8 - Top pro and another really good showing. Never gives the ball away, looks after his fullback at all times and what a ball for Townsend's goal. 
Swift - 6 - Don't think he was playing badly, but I think CC wanted more pace in the team and Wallace played really well as a 10. 
Wallace - 7 - A "Mr 7/10" sorta showing. Never stopped running as usual and put in about 20 crosses as usual. Some wayward delivery, but still never lets you down. 

Dike - 8 - The big lad causes absolute chaos with his size and power. He held the ball up well and stretched them in behind also. Has been obviously told not tear all over the pitch and to conserve energy where possible.

Subs:
Grady - 7- Shit out of one tackle early on and i was doing lots of tutting. But from then was brave, strong and was involved in lots of what we did second half. 
Reach and Ajayi & Not much to discuss. Added nous and experience when trying to see out the game. 

CC - 7 - Felt he could have got fresh legs involved earlier and should have swapped Dike given our injury issues. But no complaints from me with another win.
Ridiculously harsh on Okay, was superb with and without the ball from 20 mins on, started sluggishly granted but a 5 is nonsense

Also Palmer could do little for their first when you watch it back, through legs his weight going the other way etc, amazed nobody has said how similar it was to Grady’s first goal there last time under Bilic

Phillips edged MOM for me over Molumby, both were excellent

Also agree on the subs, thought we didn’t utilize the bench as well as CC normally did today, guessing most of them will play 90 Tuesday

We invited pressure last 15 which is a permanent tactic going 5 at the back but one I’m not a huge fan of when Dike up top was clearly blowing out of his arse but got the job done

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
Thought Okay was brilliant personally.

Phillips MOTM.

‘This is what happens when you change your team in the cup. Winning is a habit’.

Smile
I thought Okay looked leggy and off it. It was his shocking, half arsed challenge that caused the first and he got caught in possession numerous times in the first half.

I think if we had a direct competitor for him he would have been subbed. Luckily as we improved it became less obvious he had a bad game. But being as he's been MOTM in 3 or 4 games recently I'll let him off.

Cuzer - I agree about Dike, but I was fine with the Ajayi sub as they were smashing the ball forward in the last 10 and Pieters was getting caught out. He should have hooked Dike who had run his race and just put Wallace up there with TGH in midfield.

Dumbo - The first 15 was poor and symptomatic of losing momentum. We started poorly and disjointed. Just because we won that doesn't change.
10/10 for everyone. .
I read on a Luton forum this morning that they sang “premier league and you fucked it up”
and we sang “football in a shit hole” Big Grin

Oh, I also read on the Luton forum that Palmer was getting loads of abuse in the second half from the Luton fans and was spat on by one Luton fan.
I told you I’ll be back
(01-14-2023, 11:34 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Ridiculously harsh on Okay, was superb with and without the ball from 20 mins on, started sluggishly granted but a 5 is nonsense

Also Palmer could do little for their first when you watch it back, through legs his weight going the other way etc, amazed nobody has said how similar it was to Grady’s first goal there last time under Bilic

Also agree on the subs, thought we didn’t utilize the bench as well as CC normally did today, guessing most of them will play 90 Tuesday

We invited pressure last 15 which is a permanent tactic going 5 at the back but one I’m not a huge fan of when Dike up top was clearly blowing out of his arse but got the job done

Cuzer

Have to take your hat off to MP. In recognising that good managers have quickly bombed the likes of Livermore, they also seem to trust Phillips and get the best out of him.
Someone could have been killed
(01-14-2023, 11:34 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Ridiculously harsh on Okay, was superb with and without the ball from 20 mins on, started sluggishly granted but a 5 is nonsense

Cuzer

Palmer’s positioning for the first was awful and he didn’t move his feet in time to get anywhere near it. Not a complete howler but that shot should be saved more often than it goes in.
Taken from the Oak Road Hatter...

West Brom are very good

A non Luton related point, but West Brom were one, if not the best team to play at Kenilworth Road this season. They passed the ball really well, and they possess many technically gifted players who can pass and dribble really well.

Dike is a unit up front, and his hold up play and ability to turn off his defender is impressive, Swift and Wallace were busy, Molumby and Yokuslu knew exactly what they are doing in retaining possession. Their game management and time wasting at the end is infuriating but effective, and it is all too common under all Carlos Corbaran sides as shown by Huddersfield a few seasons ago. It does look like West Brom should easily make the playoffs and it's baffling how Steve Bruce had this team 23rd in the table.

https://www.oakroadhatter.com/post/4-obs...-west-brom
Sponsored by Bet365 - other betting sites are available
(01-15-2023, 08:34 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I thought Okay looked leggy and off it. It was his shocking, half arsed challenge that caused the first and he got caught in possession numerous times in the first half.

I think if we had a direct competitor for him he would have been subbed. Luckily as we improved it became less obvious he had a bad game. But being as he's been MOTM in 3 or 4 games recently I'll let him off.

Cuzer - I agree about Dike, but I was fine with the Ajayi sub as they were smashing the ball forward in the last 10 and Pieters was getting caught out. He should have hooked Dike who had run his race and just put Wallace up there with TGH in midfield.

Dumbo - The first 15 was poor and symptomatic of losing momentum. We started poorly and disjointed. Just because we won that doesn't change.

If you would have hooked Okay then thank  god you’re not on the sidelines  Big Grin

First one was one of those challenges, he tried to nick the ball, dangled a foot rather than just win the challenge, 35 yards from goal and non central probably thought there was little danger

After the first 15-20 he was a solid 8/10 for me, his use of the ball is second to none

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers