Ratings
Any win when you’re not at your best is a good win, and to do it despite your keeper gifting a limited opposition 2 goals is an excellent result. 

Hull really lacked quality, and for me it’s a reflection on how many silly points we’ve dropped this season that they could until recently have been in the playoffs with us. 

A concern however was how easily they found space behind our wingbacks. Neither Tosin nor Bartley looked comfortable covering in behind, and whilst I can understand given neither would have expected to play there at kick off, it only takes an injury to one CB and we’ll need them both in.

Thought Shan again made the right decisions with the subs, and whilst I don’t want to keep kicking Moore, it’s refreshing to have a proactive manager instead of one that waits until the game is gone before making changes.

Johnstone - 2 - what he has to do to get dropped I’ve no idea. His form has arguably cost us a real chance of second.

Bartley - 7 - much maligned but thought he played well today. Fans got on his back after one silly header but otherwise was assured. Far better than he looked on the left before Xmas.
Dawson - 7 - thankfully looks a little more interested. 
Tosin - 7 - saw the best and worst of him. A sublime ball for the opener, and then played us into trouble after! 

Gibbs - 7 - Similar to Tosin... lovely classy finish, and makes the wingback role look so simple, but backed off for their first goal.
Holgate - 6 - Getting worse by the game...  quite what’s happened to his crossing and delivery I’ve no idea. Still think Phillips is a better bet in this system. 

Johansen - 8* MOTM - a class act, makes us tick and had we had him all season we’d have been in the top 2 spots. Never wastes a ball, wins things with ease... his agent needs shooting for him to be here! 
Harper - 4 - not often I’m left wanting Livermore but he offered nothing today. We looked far better when he was off.
Brunt - 7 - him and Johansen work well together as he has brains and energy, and having 2 sets of legs beside him allows him to do what he does best. It’s a damning indictment on our recruitment his delivery is still central to our attacking but let’s use it whilst we can.

Gayle - 8 - forgot he was playing at HT, but comes up with the good when needed. If only we’d played him as a striker.
HRK - 6 - worked hard but makes you realise what JRod brings to the team! 

Murphy - 7 - looked bothered which is a start. Maybe he’ll have a role to play after all 
Phillips - 7 - still rusty but we woke up when he came on.
Hegazi - hardly touched the ball!  Know he wasn’t happy to go off but Shan got that bang on.

Shan - 8 - Navigated us through a potential banana skin of a game after Johnstone’s antics. Again turned the game with proactive subs and was strong and sensible with Hegazi. Hopefully he can show the same balls Monday and give Bond a run out as SJ looks shot of confidence.
Excellent write up pal.  

Be interesting if Murphy actually starts earning his wages on the run in. Like MP could be a key option in the POs
Bang on...great ratings
Bartley made a couple of really good challenges. Good write up
Johansen is looking a really good player now. Harper useless, same with the goalkeeper.
(04-19-2019, 04:48 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote: Excellent write up pal.  

Be interesting if Murphy actually starts earning his wages on the run in. Like MP could be a key option in the POs

Agreed. 

There’s something there with Murphy, but he needs to realise that his move to Newcastle doesn’t mean he’s made it yet.
(04-19-2019, 05:29 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 04:48 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote: Excellent write up pal.  

Agreed. 

There’s something there with Murphy, but he needs to realise that his move to Newcastle doesn’t mean he’s made it yet.
 I reckon that is his first assist for Gayle today.  Thought those 2 would really link well

Speaking to the coaching staff at Cov (where he was on loan) it’s all in his head.  Seems to have the attitude and heart of the Duck
(04-19-2019, 04:17 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Johnstone - 2 - what he has to do to get dropped I’ve no idea. His form has arguably cost us a real chance of second.

Wasn’t great today by any stretch but to say he has cost us second place is a colossal overreaction. Quite simply Norwich, Leeds and Sheff U have been better over 40+ games and every time we’ve had an opportunity to close up on them we, as a squad, have choked it.
Johnstone also kept us in matches with some great saves don’t forget
I thought Holgate was decent today, best he’s been for a few weeks