Boris Johnson
Poundland Trump is the quote that I find fits best
Boris making a speech at the opening of the commonwealth games, couldn't stop himself having a pop at the RMT  Angel
(07-28-2022, 10:43 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 11:08 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Interesting comments being attributed to Johnson over the weekend. He "doesn't want to resign" and would "rather stay on". Enough to prompt Steve Baker to jump in and demand that he leave as promised when the new leader is announced.

So here's a thing. What if he doesn't go? Can he just sit in his office like Ronnie Allen did after he was replaced by Ron Wylie? Who actually sacks him? What if the Conservative leadership election collapses in a heap of vitriol and the members demand that Boris stays on? Echoes of Trump on January 6th I reckon. Interesting times.

Nah. Trump appealed to people from those marginally right all the way to the furthest reaches of the far right (who are the ones that participated on January 6th). Boris doesn't have enough support from the very far right for anything like this to happen.

It's not exactly the same as Trump but as a narcissistic populist who got into and maintained premiership despite the lies upon lies (did he ever tell the truth?) he has created the same type of cult as Trump within what was the Tory party (cleansing it of a lot of what were recognizably Tory MPs) morphing into a sort of Trunp Republican Lite.  You also have the same type of client media (frankly deranged Mail and Express; more restrained Telegraph) akin to Fox and others re-writing history and lamenting Johnson was subject to defenestration, fomenting support among the readership (which is huge for the Mail even in print form and is a sort of house journal for a lot of Tory party members ie those who have the final vote.)  Johnson has resigned, but not gone.  Weird - what if he resiled?

It's also the red meat bollocks that Rish! and Truss have to promise (Truss effectively saying Johnson should stay) but Johnson fills the Johnson hole and will always be lurking; his leaving speech was text book Trumpian.  Who knows what the wingnuts who comprise the membership decide and support him resiling the resignation? 

This doesn't fit with the US position because it's an internal Tory matter but it's a very British Coo!!
Back from his honeymoon now supposedly. Will we notice the difference?
https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/statu...5545324545

Fucking hell fire. These are the people choosing the next PM. The absolute state of Tories.
(08-09-2022, 02:15 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/statu...5545324545

Fucking hell fire. These are the people choosing the next PM. The absolute state of Tories.

Wait till someone tells him about the people who chose Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party.
(08-09-2022, 03:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 02:15 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/statu...5545324545

Wait till someone tells him about the people who chose Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party.

Imagine the chaos under Ed Miliband! We would be on our fourth PM in a decade, he would have wiped out all the moderates in the party, foisted lying, incompetent, in it for themselves, ideological zealots in the cabinet, overseen the bringing to its knees of pretty much every important department in government, boast little or no growth for a decade, delivered Brexit to hobble the country and overseen unprecedented drop in standards of living. Thank fuck we had these beeps you campaigned for instead!
Interestingly Dekka, I've stated on here before that what we have now is pretty much what I expected chaos under Ed Miliband to look like for the man in the street; too much tax, too much spending, too much debt, too little public service reform.
(08-09-2022, 03:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 03:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Imagine the chaos under Ed Miliband! We would be on our fourth PM in a decade, he would have wiped out all the moderates in the party, foisted lying, incompetent, in it for themselves, ideological zealots in the cabinet, overseen the bringing to its knees of pretty much every important department in government, boast little or no growth for a decade, delivered Brexit to hobble the country and overseen unprecedented drop in standards of living. Thank fuck we had these beeps you campaigned for instead!

I'll be honest, my memory is a little hazy of the manifestos of the two brothers but I'd remember thinking I'd have had a fair wedge on the prophecy that if David had got the nod instead he may well have become PM and might even still be around now.
Johnson's gone on holiday again! You couldn't make it up could you....

He's an absolute disgrace to the office of PM. With the Tory membership, and the MPs who backed Johnson, it's all about populism and nothing about competence or hard work.