Boris Johnson
(04-12-2022, 08:28 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: This is meat and drink to Putin .. what credibility can Johnson have on the world stage if he can lie to his own people?
And that is another reason he has to go. The west has called out Putin’s lies over Ukraine, he can just point to Johnson and say there stands a proven liar. 
Like KKC I usually vote Tory but this lot are indefensible. The bloke collecting tax has a wife using tax avoidance measures and the bloke setting the rules not only breaks them but repeatedly lies to parliament and the public about it.
(04-12-2022, 09:25 PM)TTM2 Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 09:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: This government was NEVER fit for office and has NEVER had any integrity and has ALWAYS been a stranger to the truth.

Still Brexit ay?!?! I hope it was worth it!

Maybe don’t let a complete no hoper lead the opposition into two elections next time, eh?

I'm no fan of Jeremy Corbyn but to call someone who got 40% of the popular vote (against 42.4% for the Tories) in 2017 a no-hoper is stretching it a bit. Labour won 30% of the seats in parliament against 37% for the Tories.

The 2019 election was won on the lies of the easiest Brexit deal ever, the country was tired of the stalemate in parliament over Brexit and just wanted it done, hence the landslide. Magic beans promised to everyone - cows traded.
(04-13-2022, 07:41 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 09:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: This government was NEVER fit for office and has NEVER had any integrity and has ALWAYS been a stranger to the truth.

Maybe don’t let a complete no hoper lead the opposition into two elections next time, eh?

I'm no fan of Jeremy Corbyn but to call someone who got 40% of the popular vote (against 42.4% for the Tories) in 2017 a no-hoper is stretching it a bit. Labour won 30% of the seats in parliament against 37% for the Tories.

The 2019 election was won on the lies of the easiest Brexit deal ever, the country was tired of the stalemate in parliament over Brexit and just wanted it done, hence the landslide. Magic beans promised to everyone - cows traded.

As someone who was out on the doors in both 2017 and 2019 it was ridiculously obvious that Corbyn would never be prime minister - he was absolutely detested in the places you need votes to win a majority. 

In 2017 he was 64 seats off a majority, regardless of vote percentages underpinned by massive upticks in safe seats, student towns and Tory majorities being squeezed by conservative voters being pissed off by May that isn’t anywhere near close, despite being up against the worst conservative prime ministerial election campaign ever seen. 2019 we all know about, absolutely obliterated.

He was a no hoper, he ended every election campaign worse than he started off. Despite all this, Labour kept sending him out and he was even allowed to bumble on for months after
(04-13-2022, 07:41 AM)baggy1 Wrote: the country was tired of the stalemate in parliament over Brexit and just wanted it done

Just imagine, for a moment, how different it all could've been if Parliamentarians had come together to negotiate a meaningful implementation of the 2016 Referendum rather than dispute and delay actually leaving the EU until the very last moment. Politicians on all sides were largely held in contempt by the public for this behaviour, it was only the strength of character from Johnson that forced through an imperfect deal to leave.

Feel free to give me pelters (again) for it, but our Remain Parliament and uber-Remainers are as much to blame for this debacle as I ever was. With your statement I suspect that realisation is finally dawning.
(04-13-2022, 08:36 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 07:41 AM)baggy1 Wrote: the country was tired of the stalemate in parliament over Brexit and just wanted it done

Just imagine, for a moment, how different it all could've been if Parliamentarians had come together to negotiate a meaningful implementation of the 2016 Referendum rather than dispute and delay actually leaving the EU until the very last moment. Politicians on all sides were largely held in contempt by the public for this behaviour, it was only the strength of character from Johnson that forced through an imperfect deal to leave.

Feel free to give me pelters (again) for it, but our Remain Parliament and uber-Remainers are as much to blame for this debacle as I ever was. With your statement I suspect that realisation is finally dawning.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It was always a fantasy that it could be achieved - we knew from the outset that in order to get the free trade deal we needed to allow freedom of movement. You can't ignore the facts a rewrite history to suit your views, Johnson simply lied his way through the whole process and everyone ignored the obvious like above and the Irish border (remember him looking the NI businessmen in the eye, shaking their hand and saying "send the paperwork to me".

You, and many others, were conned into believing night was day. The EU would never make it easy for us, why would they as that would lead to others leaving. I'm not saying that was right and proper, I'm saying it was a cast iron fact.

Or had the EU not dismissed Cameron’s attempt to renegotiate in order to avoid it all together, their arrogance was their undoing.
(04-13-2022, 08:53 AM)TTM2 Wrote:

Or had the EU not dismissed Cameron’s attempt to renegotiate in order to avoid it all together, their arrogance was their undoing.

Apart from the fact that they did allow the renegotiated agreement if we voted to stay. Talk about rewriting history again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e...m-35622105
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–2016_...membership
(04-13-2022, 08:55 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

Apart from the fact that they did allow the renegotiated agreement if we voted to stay. Talk about rewriting history again.

I actually voted to remain, but didn’t decide until the pencil was in my hand. 

Parliament reacted to the result disgracefully, trying to spoil and overturn.

Jeremy Corbyn was never going to win an election, ever and after his antics following the Salisbury poisoning, most of the population are very glad about that.
(04-13-2022, 08:57 AM)TTM2 Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 08:55 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

I actually voted to remain, but didn’t decide until the pencil was in my hand. 

Parliament reacted to the result disgracefully, trying to spoil and overturn.

Because it was always unworkable, it was magic beans stuff Rowls. The original document that spelt out in measured tone about what would happen has come to pass on all counts (I linked it on the Brexit thread). The very least that should have happened was a confirmatory vote. The amount of people that voted to leave and woke up that day saying 'I didn't think that would happen' was amazing. It was a protest vote that fucked us all.

(04-13-2022, 08:59 AM)Squid Wrote:

Jeremy Corbyn was never going to win an election, ever and after his antics following the Salisbury poisoning, most of the population are very glad about that.

Again I'm really no fan of Corbyn but 40% of the vote against 42.4% for the winning party suggests that 'never' is stretching it. He was very popular in 2017 and no matter what we think about him or how it would have panned out that is a fact.