Rondon
(03-22-2019, 02:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 01:06 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:46 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:31 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:12 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There won’t be any interest in our players in the Prem or top of the Championship. Our squad is midtable Championship at best as we know.

There is always interest in our players from Premier league and Championship teams, most of them bugger off when we tell them what we'd want and never come back.

The point is though if our players were as average / poor / over hill as some make out there would be little or no interest in them. The squad really should be doing better than 4th imo.

Ah I see, so you were fishing for a bite from other board members who may think that.

I think 4th is a pretty fair assessment of the squad. When you look at squads like Stoke for example, they should be doing far better than they are whereas teams like Sheffield United which is quite a small squad has done very well. No doubt others will see it differently but after 30+ games the table doesn't really lie now (unless you're Blues and have suffered a points deduction).

Of course my point will contradict some peoples opinion not just on here but on other media platforms that suggest our squad is average, not automatic promotion standard. I thought the one of the main points of a message board was to debate / question an argument put forward? Otherwise we get a list of statements and nothing more in reality.

I agree with the argument a team by and large finishes where it deserves to, however I don't agree that the squad sets in stone where a team finishes. Some managers are getting far more from their respective squads than we have from ours this season and quite what Stoke's management has been doing is anyone's guess. So I still maintain that this squad is / was capable of finishing in the top two with the right management.

Your point contradicts itself, you've become tangled in your own spiders web  Big Grin
(03-22-2019, 02:20 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:46 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:31 PM)Lightnin Wrote: There is always interest in our players from Premier league and Championship teams, most of them bugger off when we tell them what we'd want and never come back.

The point is though if our players were as average / poor / over hill as some make out there would be little or no interest in them. The squad really should be doing better than 4th imo.

Ah I see, so you were fishing for a bite from other board members who may think that.

I think 4th is a pretty fair assessment of the squad. When you look at squads like Stoke for example, they should be doing far better than they are whereas teams like Sheffield United which is quite a small squad has done very well. No doubt others will see it differently but after 30+ games the table doesn't really lie now (unless you're Blues and have suffered a points deduction).

Of course my point will contradict some peoples opinion not just on here but on other media platforms that suggest our squad is average, not automatic promotion standard. I thought the one of the main points of a message board was to debate / question an argument put forward? Otherwise we get a list of statements and nothing more in reality.

I agree with the argument a team by and large finishes where it deserves to, however I don't agree that the squad sets in stone where a team finishes. Some managers are getting far more from their respective squads than we have from ours this season and quite what Stoke's management has been doing is anyone's guess. So I still maintain that this squad is / was capable of finishing in the top two with the right management.

Your point contradicts itself, you've become tangled in your own spiders web  Big Grin

It doesn't contradict itself without wishing to get into argument. The point is this...

A club finishes where it deserves to finish in most cases because of the results it has achieved. There are other factors such as injuries or fixture pile ups but by and large I agree with this viewpoint.

A manager and his coaches are not a neutral bystander in proceedings and a squad can do better or worse than its ability due to their input. Otherwise clubs wouldn't spend millions of pounds a season employing managers. We could next year just let the players decide who is playing, what tactics they are employing and and just let us inevitably finish where our squads ability determines. To clarify our squad is underachieving due to the managerial decisions we have made this season.
The other point is that there should be some leeway. If a team has the 12th best squad on paper and finishes 13th then this isn't a monumental failure. Our squad absolutely could be top 2, and should be close to it (which we are) but Stoke have shown with the wrong appointment we could also be closer to 16th/17th.

If Man City were 4th in the Prem then this would represent a massive underachievement and maybe the manager should go, but the gap in quality between the teams at the top of the Champ and the rest is less than those at the top of the Prem.

For a team with arguably the 2nd best squad in the league to be in 4th doesn't represent a failure, or enough of an underachievement to warrant a sacking without any plan for a replacement ten games before the end of the season. It's absolutely insane
Hang on. Thought Rondon was shit?
Wait, everyone told me he was shit and barely Championship standard.
(03-22-2019, 03:28 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Wait, everyone told me he was shit and barely Championship standard.

I think quite a few of us thought he'd be a lot more effective with more support.
Seems like he's got his mojo back after life under Pulis.
(03-22-2019, 02:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 02:20 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:46 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The point is though if our players were as average / poor / over hill as some make out there would be little or no interest in them. The squad really should be doing better than 4th imo.

It doesn't contradict itself without wishing to get into argument. The point is this...

A club finishes where it deserves to finish in most cases because of the results it has achieved. There are other factors such as injuries or fixture pile ups but by and large I agree with this viewpoint.

A manager and his coaches are not a neutral bystander in proceedings and a squad can do better or worse than its ability due to their input. Otherwise clubs wouldn't spend millions of pounds a season employing managers. We could next year just let the players decide who is playing, what tactics they are employing and and just let us inevitably finish where our squads ability determines. To clarify our squad is underachieving due to the managerial decisions we have made this season.

Are you my wife? She is an argumentative chunt and never wrong either.
Surely the finishing position is more than just the quality of the squad?

Otherwise, what would be the point of tactics and management?
(03-22-2019, 07:33 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: Surely the finishing position is more than just the quality of the squad?

Otherwise, what would be the point of tactics and management?

Exactly.
Rondon, who this post was originally about, has just scored against Argentina