Bartley
(02-12-2022, 01:55 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 01:43 PM)Alf Tupper Wrote: Lads, I can confirm everything that's on this thread about shingles. I got it the first week in October just getting over it now. Through my life I've had 5 knee operations, 3 of them major one's with replacement parts, the bollock chop and a sinus operation that was purgatory . Without a doubt the pain from them is nothing compared to this bastard thing.
I could not wear shirt for the first 6 weeks . It starts as blisters going round half your body each full of liquid .Mine was from under my left tit to the centre of my back about 10 of them and a blister rash down the left hand side of my back.
There is no treatment apart from some tablets for the first week called Valtrex I think but all that does is shorten the time it takes for the rash to go down . Then painkilling tablets and that's it. Apparently if it goes right round your body basically you are fucked. Each spot is attached to your nervous system. You can get an injection to prevent it only if you are between 70-80 . It doesn't work on any other age group. The worse thing I've ever had, I wouldn't wish it on any my worst enemy.

How are you now Alf?
Physically drained mate. I've lost a stone in weight ,I could probably have done with it but being in constant pain even eating properly has been difficult. 2 of my kids couldn't come round for christmas dinner in case they got chicken pox from me. Also i've got 3 grandsons who live in Wolvo only saw them for the first time last week since October. If you can imagine having a couple of dozen needles sticking in you body around your chest and back that's what it's like ,even sleeping is almost impossible. if you have elderly parents, aunts ,uncles or even neighbours over 70 get them to have the injection, my 75 year old aunt had it last week. Luckily my wife is here with me ,god knows how you would get on living on your own with this.
Sounds grim.

Hope you are fully recovered as soon as possible.
(02-12-2022, 03:01 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Sounds grim.

Thanks mate.
Had Shingles this time last year.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Hope you're feeling better Alf. I had chicken pox when I was 28 and I had hallucinations and all sorts. Really debilitating. I know shingles is worse so you have my sympathy sir.
(02-12-2022, 03:13 PM)Alf Tupper Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 03:01 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Sounds grim.

Thanks mate.

Hope you feel better soon Alf, as I said it knackered my mom right up. Nasty thing and quite surprising since Chicken pox seems to be quite mild.
It certainly knocks you about mate. I had a phone call with my doctor 2 weeks ago and asked him what was the possibility of me getting this again. He said 'its unlikely' . I asked him to expand on 'unlikely' he said he'd never heard of anybody getting it twice but it is possible but unlikely . I asked him about an injection even though I'm not eligible for it until I'm 70 but he said no but I could enquire about it privately if I wished. I found a place in Sutton ,a private clinic that charges 170 quid for consultation and injection, which I'm thinking about having done. If I get this again I think I'll cut my throat.
(02-12-2022, 04:48 PM)Alf Tupper Wrote: It certainly knocks you about mate. I had a phone call with my doctor 2 weeks ago and asked him what was the possibility of me getting this again. He said 'its unlikely' . I asked him to expand on 'unlikely' he said he'd never heard of anybody getting it twice but it is possible but unlikely . I asked him about an injection even though I'm not eligible for it until I'm 70 but he said no but I could enquire about it privately if I wished. I found a place in Sutton ,a private clinic that charges 170 quid for consultation and injection, which I'm thinking about having done. If I get this again I think I'll cut my throat.

I had it.   Had a swollen groin and felt a bit under the weather - saw doc who examined me, saw the lesions on my back and said, sorry to tell you it's shingles and it'll be very paiinful but it wasn't.  Excuse for me to take a week off work (heavy lifting involved).  My wife had it a few years later and she really suffered.
My mrs had Opthalmic Shingles a couple of years ago. That wasn't pretty. Blisters around the eyes and under her eyelids. She was in a right state. The infection also caused temporary deafness, and an incredibly sore throat. She was quite literally deaf, blind and dumb for over a week.

On the plus side it was quiet, and i became an expert in administering eye drops and ear drops. Big Grin
Good god, I can't imagine the pain she must have been in. Since having this I have done a fair bit of reading ,I didn't know anything about it until I got it . Apparently when your nervous system is down possibly due to other illnesses it can kick off shingles.